Sponsored by:

Turn signal and tachometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM
jtran20
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal and tachometer issue

Hi all, I recently had to replace my original engine. Ever since the new engine was installed, the turn signal fuse keeps blowing. Since I also had a battery draining issue the culprit looked to be old/bad wiring for the signal. That wire harness was replaced and the battery draining issue seems to be fixed. The signal fuse is still blowing and now the tachometer does not work. Has anyone else had this issue or have a suggestion for a fix?

Thanks,
JT
Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Are you still using a mechanical tach drive? If so, then the two problems have nothing to do with one another.

Check and see if the tach cable is screwed into the distributor. If so, unscrew it and check the distributor gear for wear.

An easy way to check the tach for proper function is to unscrew the cable from the distributor and attach an electric drill motor to the cable, run the drill motor and have someone watch the tach to see if it moves. (I forget which way the drill needs to run, clockwise/counter clockwise? You'll figure it out.)

If you have to remove the tach cable for any reason it only comes out one way, from the instrument side. So you would need to tear apart the dash to accomplish that.

Quick Reply: Turn signal and tachometer issue