Old 12-25-2013, 06:50 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Sams Club damages a 65 fuelie

Sams Club? Seriously?

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Local...237110961.html

HOUSTON -- A local couple is blaming a Houston tire shop for ruining their Christmas.
They said workers at Sam's Club damaged the husband's vintage Corvette -- a new gift from his wife.
Nick Scaffidi took the classic car to Sam’s Club because it needed new tires.
“It’s right there by the house,” said Jolene Scaffidi. “How can you mess up tires?”
However, the lift started malfunctioning and an employee hot his hand stuck. When another Sam’s Club employee came over to get him loose there was extensive damage done to the car’s one-shield fiberglass body, according to Nick.
“The other employee came over and picked up this whole thing,” Nick said. “You can’t put weight on an old classic car, especially fiberglass.”
The damage was not obvious, but there were cracks and loose connections. The repairs will cost between $39,000 - $60,000.
Sam's Club released the following statement:
"We are aware of the incident involving Mr. Schaffidi’s car and are working toward a positive resolution. An incident report has been filed and it is currently being reviewed by our third party claims administrator. Please keep in mind that the incident occurred just two weeks ago, and it will take a little bit longer for the report to be processed."
Old 12-25-2013, 07:01 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I got tires for my '67 Corvette and my wife's 79 Camaro at Costco. I took the wheels off the car at home and brought them in. I would never have taken the cars into the shop. I also did likewise for tires bought from the the Tire Rack for my 74 Alfa replaced at a local shop. Much quicker and safer to do it that way.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

The Brooklyn Bridge is for sale. A person lifting on a front fender will not cause the nose to flop about like that and cause cracks near the rear window and tail lights. I am not saying the owner is being decitful but perhaps ignorant of the true condition of the car when he bought it. OR if Sam's tried to lift/hoist the car by the fiberglass body/side pipes and not the frame that would be another story. But the video does not say that.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:36 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 145 Posts

Not saying that a lot of damage couldn't have occurred, but this whole thing is a little sketchy at best. And what is a "one shield body"? While a lot of those cracks might have happened during a lift malfunction (not from someone lifting on it by hand) , I hardly can believe that the hood delaminated like he shows in the video. $39-$60,000 to fix it???? Who would take a C2 to Sams Club for tires anyway? I do the same as Twinray, I take my wheels and tires in. Also, I don't believe you could get A/C with F.I. Too many questionable "facts" here.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:50 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I would be very suspicious of the owners of the car. For me the biggest giveaway is the hood under structure coming undone from the outer panel. How could that happen even if the nose were lifted by the fenders. The hood opens from the rear so if you lift the nose up the hood will go up with it in the front but won't break unless you lift the nose about 6 feet of the ground.
I would more easily believe that someone at the shop took the car for a joyride.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Total BS.Looks like a small time used car curber set up the whole thing to fleece a large corporation out of a decent settlement,wouldn't be surprised if the "employee" was in on the scam,this story just stinks on s*&%.If the guy has any kind of "collector car business",
the last place he would take one of his prized possesions is to any big box retailer...
Old 12-25-2013, 08:21 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

You can't see it in the photos, but when they lifted it that way it made the frame rust. That will be expensive to repair and the owner should not be stuck paying for their mistakes.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by persuader
I would be very suspicious of the owners of the car. For me the biggest giveaway is the hood under structure coming undone from the outer panel. How could that happen even if the nose were lifted by the fenders. The hood opens from the rear so if you lift the nose up the hood will go up with it in the front but won't break unless you lift the nose about 6 feet of the ground.
I would more easily believe that someone at the shop took the car for a joyride.
I don't know about the joyride as there does not seem to be collision damage or any indication that Sam's took the car on the road. But I owned a 1967 coupe for six years and the nose did not flop around like in the video: mine was very solid. I suspect the owner bought a flawed car at an outrageous price (note no front bumpers or evidence of body supports), realized that, and decided to stick it to a local tire shop. Sam's are not fools; corporate will get a professional assessment not available to a local shop. Some $39,000-60,000 damage? The entire car is not worth that in today's market. Yes, yes, yes, fuel injection. But not worth that much for a modified and incomplete car.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:09 PM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Total BS, Sam's Club should hire a couple of corvette restorers to shoot holes all through his claim. This guy either knows absolutely nothing about corvettes & bought a car that had serious structural & body issues to start with or he is a scammer either way I doubt seriously Sam's Club is at fault.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brent319
You can't see it in the photos, but when they lifted it that way it made the frame rust. That will be expensive to repair and the owner should not be stuck paying for their mistakes.
It "made the frame rust" by lifting? That is ludicrous. Heck, I lifted my 1974 at least 20 times last year with a 3-ton jack and no damage. Please explain that comment. If you are trying to say the frame was rusty and should not have been lifted then I will agree. But I fall back on my premise that the owner bought a badly flawed car.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:55 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MidShark
Who would take a C2 to Sams Club for tires anyway? I do the same as Twinray, I take my wheels and tires in.
Great minds think alike
Old 12-25-2013, 11:24 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by paul 74
It "made the frame rust" by lifting? That is ludicrous. Heck, I lifted my 1974 at least 20 times last year with a 3-ton jack and no damage. Please explain that comment. If you are trying to say the frame was rusty and should not have been lifted then I will agree. But I fall back on my premise that the owner bought a badly flawed car.
Sorry, Paul, that was my attempt at humor. I was implying that the owner was trying to pass off every bad thing about the car as damage done by the shop.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:08 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 335 Posts

Just a few observations:

There were no Fuel Injected 65 Corvettes with side exhaust.
There were no Fuel injected Corvettes with Factory A/C period.
There are no Fuel Injection emblems on that car period. It has standard badging.
The spare tire assembly is missing in addition to the front bumpers.
Very doubtful that it has a matching number engine much less original to the car.

There appears to be many other things also wrong with this story like some that have already been mentioned.

The owner is clearly trying to hose Sam' Club.

I live in Houston and yes there are very qualified Corvette people here that need to be consulted by Sam's Club.

Wow what a disgrace to the local Corvette community. I have never seen this guy around and I hope that I never do.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:09 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sams Club would be stupid to not have cameras in their shop. A video of the supposed incident would go a long way.

I lost respect for the guy when I saw the Cobra with that awful hood in the garage.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:09 AM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

there are scheming crooks everywhere.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I got tires from Sears, but I also took the rims and old tires to them. Might be a good Idea from now on
Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,194 Likes on 2,752 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
Sorry, Paul, that was my attempt at humor. I was implying that the owner was trying to pass off every bad thing about the car as damage done by the shop.
I got it... ...and I'm a rookie ( of course-the V.A, "happy pills" helped)!

Get notified of new replies

To Sams Club damages a 65 fuelie

Old 12-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Z06FEVER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars were lifted at the wheel wells during marriage of the body and chassis at the St. Louis Assembly Plant. Enough said
Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

at the end he was complaining about the hood was separating .I think he is a scamer .
Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

total B.S.

Quick Reply: Sams Club damages a 65 fuelie