Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Rear Wheel Hub Assembly

Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 PM
78SilverCam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mooser - that thread is good!

Rally, Sug - yeah, I am trying that - that thing is set SOLID...so annoying. But it's been the story of this entire rebuild, "frozen crap".
Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't already have some, get a can of Kroil--puts other penetrating oils to shame IMHO

Also, don't be afraid to resort to the flame wrench. A couple of minutes of heat from a garden variety propane plumbing torch, let cool for a minute, then spray with the Kroil, a few moderate whacks on the side(s) of the nut with a ball-peen, wait another minute, then try it. It may take a few cycles of this...and a cheater bar...but you will win.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just pulled both rear trailing arms on my 81 for bearing replacement and bushing rebuild... Found a local shop that specializes in vettes... I'm like a kid in a candy store! So... Break out the credit card and let's get some stuff done! Lol

Are ya still fighting the trailing arm removal? Which bolt in particular? I'll go re-read the post...

Ahhh gotcha... I left mine together in the trailing arm and brought it to the shop that way... From the vids I watched on YouTube... Didn't seem like something I was willing to try to tackle myself... Especially knowing I wanted the trailing arm bushings repaired at the same time...

Last edited by FireballXL5; 04-23-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:05 PM
78SilverCam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hub assemblies off! Had a neighbour come by the other day and said he had an impact driver to take it off. He carted them off, came back next day with those spindle nuts loose!

Finally able to get moving on this.

(second inspection of wheel bearings shows they are good - but could use grease repacking - is it possible to do this without a rear hub rebuild?)

The yokes on the rear diff have some end play. Will have to do some homework to determine if a rebuild is required.

Will post some pics later of the road to pain this has been. That being said...I don't really remember the pain until I reread my posts :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Rear Wheel Hub Assembly