Sponsored by:

Let the fun begin or what the hell have I done

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:31 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Karsten
Well, not much new to post other than more new parts.....Replaced all the rear end seals as on was leaking....I guess the Diff was low and leaked when it was full....Get service from the PO. Replaced bought auto trans lines as one had a leak.

Dropped the tank, cleaned up and painted that and the area above it. New tank straps, felt, painted the tank.

Just buttoning up the little stuff and it should be ready for a test drive in a few weeks.

Karsten

Almost there! Good luck on the flog and be patient towards the end! It's hard not to rush, when you're right, frigging there!

Post pics when it's on the driveway!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F22

Almost there! Good luck on the flog and be patient towards the end! It's hard not to rush, when you're right, frigging there!

Post pics when it's on the driveway!
After this step it goes straight to interior, new carpet, seats, padding, door panels, dash wiring harness, dash cap, console, shift panel and the list goes on.

The only thing I haven't found is a new wiper control/AC vent that goes above the gauge panel.

Karsten
Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

After this step it goes straight to interior, new carpet, seats, padding, door panels, dash wiring harness, dash cap, console, shift panel and the list goes on.

The only thing I haven't found is a new wiper control/AC vent that goes above the gauge panel.

Karsten
Cool! If you re going the entire interior route, may I suggest that you do the dash wiring first? If the seats are out, you'll have an easier time getting it in. Just finishing mine as we speak!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Karsten
Racer

Originally Posted by F22
Cool! If you re going the entire interior route, may I suggest that you do the dash wiring first? If the seats are out, you'll have an easier time getting it in. Just finishing mine as we speak!
I have a complete new dash wire harness and I wont mess with it. The guy doing the interior will be tasked with that and he does a lot of custom stuff.

Now, another delay....this damn thing is gonna fight me to the end but I will win.

Dropped the tank to clean up above it, replace the screen, clean out the tank, replace the felt and straps......Now pin holes in the tank.

There goes another 2 weeks waiting for the tank to be boiled, welded up and the inside coated and $200.00. Then I need a sending unit O ring seal.

I could just buy a new tank but it wouldn't have the AO what ever logo and then it would still need to be coated.

There can't be much more that can go wrong as now everything is new under the car.

Karsten
Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 PM
cb.bums
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep EVERY receipt you get so when u might sell it, you have documentation on every improvement, not just the ones you can remember. what you spend is important.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Tank

I have a complete new dash wire harness and I wont mess with it. The guy doing the interior will be tasked with that and he does a lot of custom stuff.

Now, another delay....this damn thing is gonna fight me to the end but I will win.

Dropped the tank to clean up above it, replace the screen, clean out the tank, replace the felt and straps......Now pin holes in the tank.

There goes another 2 weeks waiting for the tank to be boiled, welded up and the inside coated and $200.00. Then I need a sending unit O ring seal.

I could just buy a new tank but it wouldn't have the AO what ever logo and then it would still need to be coated.

There can't be much more that can go wrong as now everything is new under the car.

Karsten
Might want to consider a new tank from Quanta with the correct stamp.

Bill
Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Karsten
Racer

Originally Posted by 1974ta
Might want to consider a new tank from Quanta with the correct stamp.

Bill
A place locally does tanks weekly and even coats 4-5 a week and this is the original tank. It should have been dropped off yesterday with instructions to advise if they could weld and seal it.

Karsten
Old 07-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Karsten
Racer

We thought we were done with this stage only to find a leaking brake caliper and power steering ram. I don't think there is anything more that can be replaced at this point under the car.

I have driven it twice now but that was before it was dialed in and it had a little lag. So far the 1st stage has taken 11 months or so it seems.

Karsten
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

We thought we were done with this stage only to find a leaking brake caliper and power steering ram. I don't think there is anything more that can be replaced at this point under the car.

I have driven it twice now but that was before it was dialed in and it had a little lag. So far the 1st stage has taken 11 months or so it seems.

Karsten
The classic C3 ownership experience. Replace, refurb or rebuild everything and stuff will still pop up! It's something I got used to, because it is an endless process. It just happens less frequently now.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:38 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I would buy a new Quanta gas tank. They are made from the original GM dies. Lou.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Karsten
Racer

Originally Posted by loup68
I would buy a new Quanta gas tank. They are made from the original GM dies. Lou.
The original tank has been welded, inside coated and re installed with new felt pads and straps...All is good other than now it is out of gas.

Karsten
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

The original tank has been welded, inside coated and re installed with new felt pads and straps...All is good other than now it is out of gas.

Karsten

You're doing a f-i-n-e job!

(mine is back in the garage with a puddle of coolant under the engine after two "shake-down" cruises in two days....."Gremlins 2 / Me 0............ )
Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Karsten
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner
You're doing a f-i-n-e job!

(mine is back in the garage with a puddle of coolant under the engine after two "shake-down" cruises in two days....."Gremlins 2 / Me 0............ )
Doorgunner, Thanks.....I am beginning to think my Gremlins are gonna win.

Everything is back together, tuned, sounds like a raped ape, nice lope to the cam and it sound bad. But from 0-10 miles an hour it falls flat on it's face with a stock spec Torque Converter. After 10 MPH it will get up and flat scoot....

So now I need a 2300-2700 RPM High Stall Converter which means pull it all down again......Hate to do it but I want it right to start with as I don't want to just get a little chirp if I get on it....I want some smoke!

Karsten
Old 08-15-2014, 12:11 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Doorgunner, Thanks.....I am beginning to think my Gremlins are gonna win.

Everything is back together, tuned, sounds like a raped ape, nice lope to the cam and it sound bad. But from 0-10 miles an hour it falls flat on it's face with a stock spec Torque Converter. After 10 MPH it will get up and flat scoot....

So now I need a 2300-2700 RPM High Stall Converter which means pull it all down again......Hate to do it but I want it right to start with as I don't want to just get a little chirp if I get on it....I want some smoke!

Karsten
Spoken like a true gear head!! Love it...
Old 10-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Karsten
Racer

Stall Converter in, transmission and exhaust reinstalled. The Vette is said to run great now.

Now a little issue with it starting all the time. I opted the upgrade to PerTronix Ignitor Solid State Ignition and it seems temperamental.

After calling Summit I was told to get rid of any Resistance wires or Capacitor Blocks attached to the distributor.....Done and still issues.

Called again and this time I was asked about the mechanical tach and if I was running the original distributor from 1973.....I have no idea but most likely it was the original 40 plus year old distributor and likely worn beyond spec for the Pertronix unit to function properly.

Well just unpacked a new HEI distributor with 50,000 volt coil so hopefully this fixes the problem.....I want my car back after close to a year so I can get started on the interior.

Karsten
Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
I found out that taking the body off is VERY expensive. :-)
Now you tell us!

Dave
Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Karsten
Racer

Replaced the original 1973 distributor with HEI unit, replaced plugs after 15 miles on old distributor and no spark. Put 60 miles on the motor today but it wasn't getting up to temps seeing as it is a toasty 20 degrees today.

Needs some tweaking of the carb as it is still way rich. Seems like it is loading up fuel wise but it is running. Ran right up to 85 MPH without a problem. 75 is nothing but at lower speeds it is getting way to much gas.

One step closer to the interior shop.

Karsten

Quick Reply: Let the fun begin or what the hell have I done