Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumped with my starter...Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Julez93
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped with my starter...Any Ideas?

I bought my 71' and it was starting fine. I went away on vacation and the battery was bad when i got back. I have since charged the battery and even used a booster to start the car but now I am hearing metal grinding between the starter and the flywheel. I had the starter tested and its fine. I have tried shims, no shims on the starter and i just cant figure out why this is happening now. can anyone help with any ideas?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

The starter works but what condition are the teeth on the bendix drive and how about the teeth on the flywheel/ring gear? Did you try pulling the spark plugs and turning the engine at the crankshaft bolt by hand?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Julez93
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the starter is new the teeth are in great condition. the Flywheel has some teeth that arent in the best of conditions bu the car was starting fine before i left on vacation.

I did pull the plugs and turn the engine through the crankshaft bolt and it turned fine.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:45 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Julez93
I bought my 71' and it was starting fine. I went away on vacation and the battery was bad when i got back. I have since charged the battery and even used a booster to start the car
Have you replaced the battery. If vacation was only a couple of weeks...battery should have held its charge

but now I am hearing metal grinding between the starter and the flywheel. I had the starter tested and its fine. I have tried shims, no shims on the starter and i just cant figure out why this is happening now. can anyone help with any ideas?
When you say you had the starter tested...what was done? Apply power, the gear turned and retracted?

So is the starter gear engaged while the engine is running? Was the solenoid tested when the starter was tested?

Get notified of new replies

To Stumped with my starter...Any Ideas?

Quick Reply: Stumped with my starter...Any Ideas?