Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCRIS
Looks good from here.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Double_take
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bel
As someone once said, "black is beautiful"! I see the back pipe openings are closed off. A nice set of '69 side pipes would really, really, really compliment this ride. You need that added contrast . . . to me anyway. But more importantly, enjoy the adventure. You'll discover the adventure is worth more than just the ride itself . . . but put both together, they spell accomplishment.
I like the idea of the factory looking pipes as well. However because they are more restrictive and cost $$$$ im going with OBX pipes with STS baffles.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Bel
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

As they also say, "To each their own". My '70 has the '69 factories, but they are really fragile, with great care in getting in and out, for the $2500 price tag . . . so the smart thing you're considering . . . is well, "the smart thing to do". And lets face it, the louder the exhaust, the more heads get turned! More bang for the buck as they say.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Double_take
Racer

Originally Posted by Bel
As they also say, "To each their own". My '70 has the '69 factories, but they are really fragile, with great care in getting in and out, for the $2500 price tag . . . so the smart thing you're considering . . . is well, "the smart thing to do". And lets face it, the louder the exhaust, the more heads get turned! More bang for the buck as they say.
I should also note i have a set of new rocker panels to match the pipes.

Got any pics? Id love to see it.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Bel
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I probably need help in showing the Picture. You can go to albums and input Bel. It's image 046 (Red). Or just click to the left here.

Last edited by Bel; 11-08-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Double_take
Racer

PROGRESS!!! I finally had some free time over the weekend to start putting this bad boy back together. Got the hood taken off and stored in a safe place. That allowed me to get into the nose to install the rebuilt headlight assemblies, the new front frame extension, and make sure the radiator support lines up with everything. The aftermarket radiator support alignment to the aftermarket frame extension is off by about 1/4". Now that the headlights are installed, ill take it out once more, attach the radiator and drop it back in as an assembly. Im hoping there is some more play fore-aft in the side holes which will allow the support to stand more vertically and align to the extension holes.

Here are some pics. Its hard taking pics of black parts at night with a cell phone.

Ignore the mess of wires and hoses for now, that will all be cleaned up once the majors are bolted up.

The plan is to keep going on the front and slowly move backwards until she is road worth again.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,189 Likes on 2,749 Posts

You should have warned me to wear sunglasses!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Double_take
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner
You should have warned me to wear sunglasses!

Its a lot of shiny black right now. There will be some tastefully done color accepts with a color to be named later. This isnt a show build, but I want things looking clean and complete.

Im relooking at these pics. They are terrible. Ill get some better ones tonight.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Damn that is gonna be sweet when it gets done.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:49 PM
boatmark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're killing me!

All my cars / trucks for twenty five years, except the Vette, have been black. Just when I talk myself out of going through the pain of getting the Corvette black-perfect . . . you post these beautiful pictures. Yours is going to be a seriously nice car.

It has been twenty five years since I painted a car, and I am beginning to think your path of prep, and have a pro shoot it might be the best way for me. How much trouble did you have finding a shop that would work with you, and was willing to shoot over your prep?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by brent319
Damn that is gonna be sweet when it gets done.
After I posted that I thought about it a little bit. I don't like the phrase "when it gets done". That sounds like you come home from work and go out to the garage to see how much work the car did on itself.
We all know it does not work that way. "When you get it done" would be more appropriate because I know you put a lot of time into it.
It will be worth it very soon.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Double_take
Racer

Originally Posted by boatmark
You're killing me!

All my cars / trucks for twenty five years, except the Vette, have been black. Just when I talk myself out of going through the pain of getting the Corvette black-perfect . . . you post these beautiful pictures. Yours is going to be a seriously nice car.

It has been twenty five years since I painted a car, and I am beginning to think your path of prep, and have a pro shoot it might be the best way for me. How much trouble did you have finding a shop that would work with you, and was willing to shoot over your prep?
The arrangement kind of fell in my lap. I got to know the shop owners son and learned they were working on a 69.

I think if you are very up front with a custom shop im sure you can find someone willing to take the risk. The problem is they dont want to put their name on someone elses body work. Nor be responsible for any defects due to chemicals and other issues with the paint.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Double_take
Racer

Im heading on vacation for 1.5 weeks but i figured id leave a small sneak peak of what is in store as I continue the reassembly...

Quick Reply: My '70 back from paint!