Sponsored by:

Planning a project on my 80

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Dega500
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a project on my 80

I've been enjoying my 80 Vette since purchasing it last spring but some of the previous owner's fixes on a few things have been bugging me.

First, I want to do an engine bay cleanup and re-paint. The paint form a previous facelift is peeling badly. I'm a planning on yanking the motor and removing any remnants of the AIR system in order to gain better access.

The electric fuel pump is mounted next the frame rail under the passenger door and the return fuel line is not connected. I am thinking of getting an 82 Sending Unit (anybody got one) mounting a late model fuel pump to it and putting new fuel line/ filter to the carb (currently an Eddy 1406 that needs electric choke) like many do for their LS swaps. I don't see why this wouldn't work for a carb with a pressure regulator too should I decide to keep the carb.

The current engine is a 14093638 block/ iron head with a truck??? serpentine belt system. I am really jonesin' for an EFI system and love the way the TPI stuff looks so I am also going to put one of those on it as well having a stand alone harness made from a stock one. I am perfectly happy with my Turbo 350 tranny and current gears so to simplify things I'm going to stay with them.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go although most of the tech. stuff is already posted.

Dega
Old 10-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Dega500
Instructor

Default Project took a turn!

My project planning has taken a slight turn.

I found an 91 F-body TPI setup and accessory brackets and decided to go ahead and fuel inject my Vette.

Then I ran across a local ad for a complete 91 Corvette engine, auto transmission, harness and ECM (engine compartment mount weather proof) and now it is sitting in my basement.

I have read that the Vette tranny is not the best fit for my swap due the the rear mount configuration but surely someone has succeeded in putting one of these in a C3 along the way. I am pretty sure I can swap out the tail housing for one that would bolt right up to cross member (with slight modification) but if there is a better way I'd appreciate a heads up.

I know I'll need a shorter drive shaft, a VSS with cable drive for speedo and an updated fuel supply as mentioned in my previous post.

I'm thinking that aside from physically getting everything mounted in the car, as long as I keep all these components together the way they came form the factory I may be able to use the factory harness and ecm without too much difficulty.

Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 PM
mwm1993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do some research to see problems other people have run into on similar swaps. It should work out but you will probably have to reprogram the ecm because it's going to be looking for abs sensors and other things that your car isn't going to have. It might be best to bite the bullet and get a new harness and ecm that is already set up for standalone. I think you shouldn't have trouble finding all the parts and info you need online, swaps like this have become pretty common

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Dega500
Instructor

A stand alone harness and ECM/prom kit was part of the plan initially. The Vette ECM came with the engine already plugged into the engine and got me to thinking.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 PM
mwm1993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's certainly possible to use that ecm but it will need to be modified and reprogrammed. A friend of mine just finished putting a 2006 ls motor and 4l60e tranny into a 74 el camino and the swap was painless with a standalone harness, the wiring was pretty simple and every wire on the new harness was labeled. I don't know for sure but I would bet somebody makes a tranny mount you could use. Adjustable motor mounts are also available so you can move it a few inches forward or back to get everything to line up

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Planning a project on my 80

Quick Reply: Planning a project on my 80