Sponsored by:

Motor replacement now electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Kuhndar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor replacement now electrical issues

So I pulled my motor put a new one in my 75 ( needed a new clutch and a refresh) and now I'm having major issues with smoke coming from wires in the car, the first time I turned the key to the on position the alarm sensor under the hood starting smoking. So now I unplugged it keep trying to get the distributor set but have more smoke and burnt wire smell coming from inside the cab, What could I have done to cause this when putting my new motor and trans in the car. The only thing i can think of is the starter wires but i think they are right,

I think the second spot of smoke was from behind the drivers seat or the t top area.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

either the starter or the alternator, take the wires all off til you can remember how they're sposed to go.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:47 AM
RodgerF
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Double check all your wiring to make sure everything is correct. Also, make sure you don't have any pinched wires. It's possible when bolting something together to get a wire caught without realizing it. Check all motor mounts, brackets, etc.

Not that I've ever done something like that.

Good luck,

Rodger
Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Kuhndar
Intermediate

Does anyone happen to have a picture or the correct setup for the starter and alternator just to double check the install and make sure I didn't screw anything up.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

coming from two completely different locations , I would bet real money its not your alternator or starter but that you have pinched wires when you did your install. the alternator , if hooked up wrong , would fry itself and all the wires connected to it, the starter if hooked up wrong would either not start or keep running, and also fry its wires in some instances . best advice is to slowly remove every thing you have installed in the reverse order you installed it. I'm betting you've pinch'd a harness
Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

On the back of the alternator be sure the black wire is bolted to the housing, not the b+ stud.
On the starter be sure the single black wire with the large eyelit is not bolted to the B+ stud, it's a ground for the wiper motor/ blower motor. It should be bolted to the bell housing.
Be sure the ground cable from the right side motor mount (frame) is attached to the engine.
Mike
Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Kuhndar
Intermediate

Thank you for the help it ended up being the black wire on the starter being hooked up incorrectly, I had it placed on the same one as the positive wire. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

You're welcome.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Motor replacement now electrical issues

Quick Reply: Motor replacement now electrical issues