Sponsored by:

putting it back together

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 PM
vettestu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting it back together

Got the rear bumper cover on after three tries. Chrome light surrounds, retro lettering, crossed flag fuel door logo, bumperettes made from the Jag's old 5 mph bumpers. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 PM
73 Rat
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Love the retro letters! Nice work!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 73 Rat
Love the retro letters! Nice work!
Looks good!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Cjustin
Advanced

I love the bumpers! Nice work
Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 PM
HUSKEE73
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

like what you came up with there,nice work.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:14 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

That looks really cool! Great work. You did really well in the creative dept and it doesn't look funny either!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 AM
RodgerF
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work! That's the way it should have come from the factory. Do you think something like that would be possible for the front?

Do you have a write-up? If I ever get to the body/paint part of mine I may have to swipe your idea.

Rodger
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM
vettestu
Instructor

Yeah, couldn't do the back without doing the front so . . . used the other bumper from the Jag to make a nose trim moulding, just trying to kick the car back to that classic "Stingray" look, (though I think the body curves and front wheel vents are the most badass looking ones of the series, minus the nose and tail seams). I got rid of all that funky '80s matte finish on the SS glass trim too. I had to send the nose back to paint. Got it home and looked it over didn't, like the finish on the top mount face. Once i've got the light lids in and the nose back I'll post some shots. Had to do a little cutting and welding on the bumper pieces. The rears had three seams and front had four but the plater had a TIG and does really nice work. Royal Plating Tucson, AZ accepts shipped in stuff from all over country. The chrome is off a 1975 SII or III Jaguar XJ6, if your find a donor and look at the bumper chrome it will be pretty easy to see what needs to be done to make it fit, the front gets a parallel cut and a couple of laterals and some grinding. I tacked the pieces together on the nose so the fit would be right (with some aluminum plate behind to keep it from bursting into flames). The rears (made from the rear side spears) were a little tougher, had to make paper patterns and do some fine grinding to fit the curve around vette's tail. Tacked L brackets on the rears and bolted right through the urethane with plates behind to prevent sag, cutting out some of the honeycomb backing to clear nuts. Welded flat head machine screws to back side of nose trim, ditto on the mounting. Really looking forward to putting the interior back in and getting it back out on the road. Nothing like a good looking car smokin' the shoes.

Get notified of new replies

To putting it back together

Quick Reply: putting it back together