Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got vette money- hunting hard!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 PM
ryanmh
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bah. I Googled your VIN and couldn't find the car, so you're safe. Sounds like a great deal! Can't wait to see the photos.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Panhead59
My references are the Lime book (The complete Chevrolet V-8 engine code pocket guild 1955-1991 3rd edition by Edward W.J. McComas) for the suffix code and Car and parts catalog of V-8 engine casting numbers 1955-93 and stamped numbers. I would be interested in finding out if it was a true side exhaust car. Besides the "no cut-out" what else is there besides the added insulation?
You would be better off going on the NCRS website and ordering some of their reference books. You don't have to be a member...just pay a little more. If you are interested, I will let you know which ones to buy.

If the car came from the factory with side exhaust, the inside of the rear valance will look like mine:

There are other things to look for, such as the absence of the exhaust pipe hanger and replacement with a spacer...between the tranny and mount. The hole in the frame for a grounding strap in the same area should NOT have been tapped. There should be foil wrapped insulation between the body and the top of the side frame rails. The front fenders and rear panels should have been notched for the pipes, in accordance with a drawing in the AIM - Assembly Instruction Manual - which is available from several forum vendors - in print or on CD.

The car you referenced by VIN was assembled in St. Louis on August 4th. The factory was evidently back from the strike that started around the middle of April. According to what I have read, no more side exhaust cars were built after the strike. I may be wrong, but unless you have original factory documentation such as a window sticker, tank sticker or protect-o-plate showing option N14...the side exhaust was added after it left the factory. Many of these cars had it added later. No big deal for the money you are paying, but you (or your heirs) still won't be able to extract a side exhaust premium from the next caretaker. Just sayin....

One other thing...I seriously doubt your L36 car came with the M-22. Those were pretty much used only on L88s.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi FR,
Nicely stated AND nice picture.
The side exhaust valance is obtainable; the quarter panel without the cut out for the partial bezel..... not so easy.
Also maybe something about the rocker panel trim mounting 'tabs' on the birdcage rails?
Regards,
Alan

Still my favorite look and picture. Worked so hard to do it right, and then to un-do it right. Insanity Reigns
Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 PM
1978vett
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

good luck in your search for a Corvette, I attached a picture of my 66 GTO, with 389 tri power , muncie 4 speed.. I recently purchased a 78 Corvette, 41000 original mile with documentation back to the first owner..Might have to add on to the garage...

Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 600 Likes on 486 Posts

Took me a little over 6 months to find my dream car.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Grumpy78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it blue?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Faster Rat, are you and Alan71 having a contest of some sort about the cleanest car?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jnb5101
Faster Rat, are you and Alan71 having a contest of some sort about the cleanest car?
Pictures can be deceiving. My car will never be as nice as his. I may be borderline OCD when it comes to restoration...but Alan is way out of control...
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi FR,
That's true, I think I'm getting close to needing to be committed to a state institution. At least at this point it will just be one 'for the insane', not one 'for the criminally insane'.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Panhead59
Racer

I would be better off using those other books you mentioned only if the books I am using are wrong. Not saying they are or aren't, but how can you say a statement like that with limited info? Ya'll will find that I am a stickler for the English language and communicating articulately. Now mind you I only have a high school education and a few trade schools, so I certainly struggle sometimes. But I say what I mean and mean what I say and expect the same. No sir, the car is not blue. I will "spill the beans" on which one it is as soon as the seller gets my deposit. That should be Friday. I mentioned the M22 being in this car because my reference matted it with the LM designation in the suffix code. Nothing is confirmed of course since I don't have the car yet. That said, you are probably right about it not being a rock crusher. The owner states ( another hint) that it is a M21 close ratio. Either way, a good tranny. Will most likely have to get it rebuilt down the road sometime, those gears can't last forever!!!

Last edited by Panhead59; 08-29-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Panhead59
Racer

Faster Rat- I just looked at a picture of the bottom of that tranny. No drain plug. I believe I've recently read that all M22"s and some of the others had drain plugs. So you are most likely right, it isn't a M22. Now that we've established a flaw in my reference, what are those books you mentioned? Goes to show ya, there is nothing like experience!!! Thank you sir for setting me straight.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Panhead,
There are several books specific to 69 cars that you may want to consider adding to your library.
First would be the NCRS 68-69 Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide (there just happens to be a brand new updated edition).
Also, the 1969 Stingray Guidebook by Rick Bizzocco is a very informative book.
Both these books have different information in them than 2 others you should consider:
The '1969 Assembly Instruction Manual' (AIM) which was used at the plant in St.Louis.
and
The GM '1969 Chassis Service Manual' which was used by the techs at the dealerships.
There is a tremendous amount of detailed information available about 69 cars and many people agree these books are good sources for that information.
The information in these books will help you determine just what your car is, and was, and also provide information on working on it.
I think you'll find the information in these books is VERY different and incredibly more DETAILED than what is contained in the 2 books you mentioned. I believe that was FR's point. For instance, one of the books contains a list of items to look for in trying to determine if a car is indeed an original side exhaust car.
I think this issue came up because it's often VERY difficult to understand just what a particular car is, and isn't, and thus, being as informed as possible when making a purchase decision seems to be a good idea.
The car will probably tell you what it is if you understand what to look for. The seller usually tells you what he want's you to know, or what he thinks you want to hear.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

I was thinking more like the Corvette Pocket Specifications Guide. It really lays the important information out and tells you where to look for all those numbers:

http://www.ncrs.org/shop/index.php?m...roducts_id=235

Then there is the infamous "Black Book" for all vettes...really good when you are at a show or cruise-in and that know-it-all tells you something that doesn't quite sound right.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi FR,
That's true, I think I'm getting close to needing to be committed to a state institution. At least at this point it will just be one 'for the insane', not one 'for the criminally insane'.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi vb,
I hope shock therapy won't be needed!... I was thinking more along the line of Quaaludes.
Just a little something to take the edge off.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Not to 'jack this thread, but those GTO's are fantastic. the 65 - 67 Goats were some of the most beautiful cars ever made. Wow... And they flew!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 PM
1978vett
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
Not to 'jack this thread, but those GTO's are fantastic. the 65 - 67 Goats were some of the most beautiful cars ever made. Wow... And they flew!
You got that right,, I have had all three years.. Nice cars..

Get notified of new replies

To Got vette money- hunting hard!!!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Panhead59
Racer

Tks alan and faster rat. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can and I'm sure these publications will help along with your obvious vast knowledge and experience. Thanks everyone for your help. I can't take delivery until Sept. 19th. Flying to get it and driving it home. 750 miles. This is gonna be one of the longest 3 weeks of my life waiting to go!!!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM
CV62Air
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats, Panhead! I had 'vette fever all summer and acquired an original '70 'vert with L46/M21. I wasn't too excited after driving it because I really had wanted a blue/blue '69 BB with a white top and side pipes!

After I got back in my wife's car for our 2-hour drive home, my WIFE asks me what was wrong with me! She could not believe I didn't buy it! I said it's red, you don't even like red! Her point was, they aren't making any more of these cars and how are you going to find one as nice as that one for the money? And that red looks great!(Monza Red) I thought about it and by the time we got home, called the seller back and agreed to buy it! I only had to wait 3 days to drive it home, and I could barely contain the excitement.

Turned out to be a wonderful original car. Only things I noticed so far are the right rear fiber optics and the passenger footwell lights don't work. Everything else works, even the headlamp washers! I was a little worried driving the 43 year-old home, but put the top down and made it home in time to get classic plates from the DMV.

I've been smiling for the last 3 weeks!

You know, I have off from now until September 8th. I could head down to Florida, drive that 750 miles and put that big block C3 right in your driveway for you! I'll shut 'er down and coast into your driveway early in the morning; it will be like waking up on Christmas Day!!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Panhead59
Racer

Did I say Florida? Must've been a slip of the tongue (mouse) although you are correct. I am trying to keep the specific car under wraps at least until owner receives my deposit, which should be today. I don't want anyone getting any ideas!! Not that anyone here would.... just sayin'. Congrats on your purchase. One thing is clear. Now is a good time to buy!!!

Quick Reply: Got vette money- hunting hard!!!