Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Vacuum pump

Old 08-25-2013, 06:58 PM
My70
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Electric Vacuum pump

'70 convertible - Has any of you tried to use a electric vacuum pump to diagnose vacuum issues with the headlights or wiper door? My car has hooker headers and side pipes and its too loud to hear leaks. It would be nice to isolate the pump and use it to repair the systems. If you have used such a pump, please let me know type etc - Thanks !
Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Bandit54
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

I use my vacuum pump that is used to replace and recharge the air condition system. It works great and just makes a popping noise when running. I hook it up to the supply line coming off of the intake that way I can check the check valve and everything else.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

I use a vacuum pump I found on that auction site I bought for cheap. It is also a medical aspirator. It pulls to 22 lbs, so enough for my needs. I primarily use it to check the viability of vacuum tanks and vacuum components hooked up in series where my Mityvac simply cannot handle.

I still use my Mityvac for leak down tests of individual components, which is very important for very small leaks. You can do the same with the vacuum pump if you add an inline check valve and tee off a vacuum guage between the pump and the components to be tested. I've recently made one of my cars leak free using both of these tools.

Pic below........

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Vacuum pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Vacuum pump