C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you trust this Eckler's Chinese part?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Would you trust this Eckler's Chinese part?

Ordered the rear shock mount from Ecklers. Part came today with a MADE IN CHINA sticker on the box. The part also has a different finish than the shock mounts I have gotten before from Paragon and from the original shock mount.

Should I trust this or return it?????

By the way...if Eckler's is reading - can you help me with refunding the shipping back to you guys? I was told on the phone it can not be refunded.......
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Anything metal made in China is a crap shot. Sometimes it's OK, but often the metal has impurities and does not have the strength it should. I wouldn't use it myself unless there were no other alternatives. IF you can still find good ones Id' return this and let Ecklers know you'll take your future business elsewhere.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Anything metal made in China is a crap shot. Sometimes it's OK, but often the metal has impurities and does not have the strength it should. I wouldn't use it myself unless there were no other alternatives. IF you can still find good ones Id' return this and let Ecklers know you'll take your future business elsewhere.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd buy a used original before I'd use a Chinese one
Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 PM
vetternr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Return postage and sipping.

Originally Posted by rafalc
Ordered the rear shock mount from Ecklers. Part came today with a MADE IN CHINA sticker on the box. The part also has a different finish than the shock mounts I have gotten before from Paragon and from the original shock mount.

Should I trust this or return it?????

By the way...if Eckler's is reading - can you help me with refunding the shipping back to you guys? I was told on the phone it can not be refunded.......
Personally I am sick and tired of paying shipping and freight both ways ( purchasing and returning ) on defective, incorrect, wrong color, wrong size, part only lasts two weeks, does not fit, etc. It's time for vendors to man up and share their responsibilites. When it's all said and done, it ends up costing two to three times as much as it would have if the part were correct the first time ( as ordered and paid for. UPS, FedEx, etc is getting filthy rich at our expense.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetternr
Personally I am sick and tired of paying shipping and freight both ways ( purchasing and returning ) on defective, incorrect, wrong color, wrong size, part only lasts two weeks, does not fit, etc. It's time for vendors to man up and share their responsibilites. When it's all said and done, it ends up costing two to three times as much as it would have if the part were correct the first time ( as ordered and paid for. UPS, FedEx, etc is getting filthy rich at our expense.
Totally agree.... this isn't the first time. Granted, the reason I am going to return it is because its not USA made but still..... wish this information was disclosed ahead of time
Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 PM
javaman
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The only Chinese parts I trust are spare ribs, fried rice and General Tso's chicken!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM
garym52
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by javaman
The only Chinese parts I trust are spare ribs, fried rice and General Tso's chicken!
don't forget Kung Pao Beef........
Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Where you buy such parts is not important. Who made the part is VERY important. 'Hard' and 'working' parts need to be made of the correct grade of steel (or alum, as the case may be) and be properly heat treated for hardness and durability.

You can only have good assurance of quality and durable parts, if they have been manufactured by a reputable company. For those kinds of parts, I will only go to better brand name parts stores that sell 2 or 3 "grades" of parts...and stay away from the 'cheapos'. No "Dura-junk" for me.....
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Problem is that even the big names are going overseas...
Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to mention it, but what do you think the % of the parts in our new cars and over the counter new parts are MADE in PRC. They sneaked in, in less than 20 years and we bought the boat.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

If it was anything else I wouldnt bother returning it but its the damn shock mount. Its enough of a pain in the *** to remove and reinstall the damn thing, I DO NOT want it going bad on me
Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Chinese auto parts manufacturers can make "junk"...or they can make "good quality" parts. It depends on who is designing and ordering the parts and who is marketing them.

If I were looking for MOOG parts, and found some that indicated they were made in China (doubt it...but it could happen), I wouldn't have near the concern, compared to purchasing something stuffed in a "Dura-junk" box coming from Mexico.

If you buy 'important' parts from a national parts store, and stay away from the least expensive parts, you will probably do OK with your purchase. I do agree that the better parts stores have had to include the cheapo, gypo overseas cr@p parts in their parts lists--in order to compete for business from customers who ONLY buy based on low-cost. Too bad....but that is the case.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:18 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by javaman
You really think that`s "chicken"?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

About 3 years ago I bought a set of repro rear shock mounts. They were inferior..basically they didn't fit, their diameter was too large...the story was that it was assumed corrosion problems would enlarge the hole in the spindle fork, so the repro's were made larger in diameter....At that time there were posts in the CF where people had brute force tried to fit these oversized mounts into the spindle forks and cracked the spindle fork. I started to buy good condition original shock mounts. Last year as an experiment, I bought made in the US shock mounts from Toms Differentials and...bingo... they fit like a glove. Maybe these good quality shock mounts that have "just" started to appear in the market are available from the other usual Vette vendors.

PS. These guys that cracked their spindle forks were in for a world of hurt. To replace the spindle fork assembly you have to undo the rear wheel bearings...and reinstall them. There's only a few people can competently do this themselves. $$$$$

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 08-23-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

At the time you ordered the part, did you ask Eckler's where it came from?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
At the time you ordered the part, did you ask Eckler's where it came from?
Did not cross my mind at the time. Ive ordered around $2k worth of parts in the last 10 months, all US made. Granted it was not from Ecklers but I guess I just got used to getting good parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you trust this Eckler's Chinese part?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 AM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
About 3 years ago I bought a set of repro rear shock mounts. They were inferior..basically they didn't fit, their diameter was too large...the story was that it was assumed corrosion problems would enlarge the hole in the spindle fork, so the repro's were made larger in diameter....At that time there were posts in the CF where people had brute force tried to fit these oversized mounts into the spindle forks and cracked the spindle fork. I started to buy good condition original shock mounts. Last year as an experiment, I bought made in the US shock mounts from Toms Differentials and...bingo... they fit like a glove. Maybe these good quality shock mounts that have "just" started to appear in the market are available from the other usual Vette vendors.

PS. These guys that cracked their spindle forks were in for a world of hurt. To replace the spindle fork assembly you have to undo the rear wheel bearings...and reinstall them. There's only a few people can competently do this themselves. $$$$$
Hey, its funny that you mention this. Im starting to wonder if maybe I had those "oversized" shock mounts based on how difficult it was to get them in the forks:

Post # 105
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...project-6.html

BTW-just ordered the part from good old Paragon, they confirmed theirs are US made
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Problem is that even the big names are going overseas...

i bought a GM Delco clutch-'Made In China'
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If I were looking for MOOG parts, and found some that indicated they were made in China (doubt it...but it could happen), I wouldn't have near the concern, compared to purchasing something stuffed in a "Dura-junk" box coming from Mexico.
Funny you mention MOOG. Here's a link to an article which says you may not be getting what you think you are when buying some name brands.

http://www.duntovmotors.com/tech-caliper-seal.php

Sales talk? Maybe, but I've witnessed this first hand, attaching a respected name to a product designed and manufactured by another, a Chinese or other offshore manufacturer. All you're buying is the name. Unethincal IMO.

Quick Reply: Would you trust this Eckler's Chinese part?