Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Default 1962 Corvette Stolen in Pacific Grove

Hello,

My wife an I attended the Monterey Rolex Motorsports Reunion this past weekend (08-16 through 08-18).

Unfortunately on the evening of 08-17, somebody stole our '62 Corvette. We had owned this car for over 20 years. The thieves stole the car between the hours of 08:45 an 09:30 PM, and stole it directly from the B&B we were staying at.

The thieves were extremely brazen as there were at least eight people (other Inn Guests), having dinner in the atrium less than 20' away from where the car was parked.

The car was parked up next to the B&B, and was completely obscured from the main street and just a small corner visible from the side street.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the word out there asking people to keep a lookout for this vehicle.

If you have any information, please contact me (Pat), @ 916 719-9442

Thanks for reading my post.

Name:  In line ready to go out onto parade lap.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  75.7 KB

Name:  In line ready to go out onto track for parade lap..jpg
Views: 405
Size:  73.8 KB
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Mid-Years Forever!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ptjsk,

I have no hope to offer, unfortunately, other than that of law enforcement and the fact that your car is pretty unforgettable. I do offer my sincerest condolences, and I hope you get it back, unscathed.

And I agree with you, when you say this: "The thieves were extremely brazen as there were at least eight people (other Inn Guests), having dinner in the atrium less than 20' away from where the car was parked." Do you suspect they used a pickup truck, equipped with a wheel lift, like I'm told is popular with "repo-men," or do you believe they drove it off? Either way, it's incredible that they would attempt it, with people (and possibly YOU) only 20' away.

Have the police explored the idea that perhaps it was someone familiar with YOUR movements? I only ask because, from what you wrote, it sounds like you were not present at the time. If not, and somebody knew this, I would think Law Enforcement would be interested in looking at that angle...i.e., an "inside job."

And the following is NOT directed at you, in any way.

Why Aren't "Battery-Isolators" More Popular
?
But I would like to take this opportunity to ask why more owners do not use a hidden "kill switch" or even a simple "battery isolator" (sold for long-term storage)? I'm no electrician, but it seems to me to be a matter of running (heavy gauge battery cables?) back to a cockpit-accessible, rotary switch, which one could conceal, I would think.

Is it due to a desire to maintain NCRS-originality? Is is (technically) harder than I make it sound?

My father used a battery isolator switch in trucks he restored from the 'teens and 1920's, simply because they either had no ignition switch or, more likely, had some "gremlin" drain on the battery. He disconnected, and reconnected (via the switch) and viola--no dead battery upon startup. (However, in at least some cases, the batteries were right under the truck's seat, making long cable-runs unnecessary. I do understand the concept of "voltage drop" in long cable-runs).

Couldn't it even be a simple toggle switch, (with MUCH lighter wires than battery cables) under the dash, to the electrical feed to the primary side of the coil or dizzy? (See, I told you I'm no automotive EE-type).

I just think that an owner-hidden, battery cutout would go a long way toward preventing such nasty, unfortunate thefts as the OP experienced.

And I would think such a battery isolator should merit an insurance premium discount. (I know, I'm dreaming).

ptjsk, I wish you all the best in obtaining a speedy recovery of your gem, and I'm sure everyone on CF who reads it feels the same, and will keep their eyes out.

Hey--you do know you can set a "Saved Search" on ebay, for specific years/models/parts, right? Ebay sends you an email when such items come up. In the horrible even that they start to part it out, perhaps the thieves would be dumb enough to sell the parts on ebay? I dunno...I'm not in the business. Just trying to help.

If I've caused any offense, I sincerely apologize. I realize this is a sensitive, horrible time. Making matters worse, someone else got my share of tact, and I got their helping of guilt. So again, I hope you view what I've written in the supportive, pro-community vein that I intended.

Good luck getting your beautiful Corvette back, safe and sound!

Peter

P.S.: ptjsk: It's hardly on the same scale but, much to my surprise, law enforcement did find my best friend's expensive, racing quad and motocross bike, both in decent shape, and returned them, within weeks of the theft. And they can't even be registered with DMV (as they're off-road only) making them that much harder to track, in my opinion.

In your car's case, I'd be worried about overseas shipment. At the risk of belaboring the obvious, have you, personally, contacted the various Port Authorities? Just in case law enforcement has not yet done so, for whatever reason? If nothing else, it could make you feel better while you wait.

Again, please accept my best wishes.

Last edited by Mid-Years Forever!; 08-21-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

No, they couldn't even have backed a pick-up truck to the front of it. The car was placed into a small "cocoon" of a parking spot. I had to "jockey" it into position to avoid hitting other vehicles that were in the main driveway.

There is no way they started the car. It was very loud and everybody in the inn would/could hear it when it was running. We would have heard it in our room let alone the other guests less than 20' away.

They had to push it out of the parking spot, and I'm sure they had to jockey it out as well. Once directly out of the parking spot, they only had to let it coast to the street and then it was down two blocks to the ocean, all assisted with gravity due to the topography (all downhill) of the streets.

Additionally, the grounds of the inn was heavily landscaped with lush vegetation. Somebody had to know the car was there as you couldn't see it at all from the main street, and you could just get a slight corner glimpse of the car from the side street. Either they followed us there sometime throughout the weekend, or they were just patrolling upscale B&B's searching for a victim.

My wife and I were up in our room, and as I stated there were several guest of the inn having dinner and talking around the table. Two of the guests having dinner were law enforcement, so I don't have fears of an inside job from them.

Still sick...frigging killing me with the what if's!!!!

Pat
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Too bad it wasn't a beater, at least then you could suspect Chip Foose and Chris Jacobs got it.
I'd be in the hospital on IV therapy for dehydration due to the vomitus. Hell, I'm nauseous right now and it wasn't even my car.
Modern day horse thieves....string 'em up!!
Carter
Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 71scgc
Too bad it wasn't a beater, at least then you could suspect Chip Foose and Chris Jacobs got it.
I'd be in the hospital on IV therapy for dehydration due to the vomitus. Hell, I'm nauseous right now and it wasn't even my car.
Modern day horse thieves....string 'em up!!
Carter
I agree!

Pat
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Vettereturned
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Sickening story. Hopefully your car will be returned to you in it's original condition.
I can only imagine what you're feeling, going through. One can only hope the that Thieves' are caught and prosecuted!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you thinking someone who works at the inn tipped off the thieves?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I really hope you find your car and that it's in perfect condition.

Good Luck, Les
Old 08-23-2013, 10:46 AM
jackwabbit703
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man.. I'm even heartbroken just reading this and it's not even my car.

Seriously, invest tiny little money and get the battery cutoff switch. It's best 12 dollar investment I've made. I just take the cutoff key with me when I leave the car. No power, no crank. Thieves will have to push it tow it. Also, you can disconnect all power to the car while the car is in the garage for long length of time.

Prior to having the cutoff switch, I use to take my Grant GT pull off steering wheel with me when I left the car. But, carrying a steering wheel to dinner is little weird and awkward.

Hope you find your vette soon and bastards are caught!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:50 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

****, sorry to read this, what a shame, my first car was a Red '60 in '66

been a while, and yes I want to see some thieves swing from a light pole.....and the car returned to you, all pretty and intact....

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 Corvette Stolen in Pacific Grove

Quick Reply: 1962 Corvette Stolen in Pacific Grove