Sponsored by:

69 wiring help, under steering column

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Crahm
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 69 wiring help, under steering column

Under my steering column is a heavier gauge wire, deep purple in color with a large black insulator around the female spade. Hot 12 volts switched with the ignition. See photo. What is this wire?

I've been reassembling my car and had everything electrically working. Had to remove the steering column to install the dash and now i have no power at the instrument fuse on the fuse panel.

The two snap connectors on top of the column, one is white, one is smaller and black - does the black connector only have one wire ?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Crahm
Instructor

Default Photo

Photo should appear now
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
69vette19467
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't help you with that particular connector. I can tell you that the purple circuit wires connect to the clutch interlock switch (4 spd) or the neutral safety switch (auto). One or the other has to be in the circuit (and closed) in order to crank the engine. My early 69 has a 4 spd and I'm familiar with the clutch switch. The harness has a two-terminal connector that mates with the switch. I've never verified this on mine, but according to the wiring diagram, there should be another two-terminal connector near the console to pick up the neutral safety switch. I can't find a single terminal purple on the 69 wiring diagram. Your harness looks new - is it correct for a 69?

The white and black connectors fit the ignition switch. My black connector has a single red wire.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Crahm
Instructor

Default Thank you for your reply

I think the loose switched wire may be the brown wire terminating near the ignition switch in the wiring diagram. Goes nowhere. Handy 12v source if needed.

To solve my issue of no power at the instrument pink wire fuse location,
I think I need to check continuity between the pink ignition wire on the column and where the same pink should be directly tied to the fuse box.

I did discover an error in the diagram (nothing new in any car's diagram) - the diagram shows a source 12v pink wire going from the ignition switch to the firewall block, and then converting to dark green on its way to the temperature sensor for the water. Of course, it should be dark green from the gauge through the block then to the sensor.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:48 PM
69vette19467
Racer

If the wire in your hand in your photo is brown (as opposed to purple), it may connect to a radio noise suppression capacitor which is mounted behind the tach. In my pic the brown wire in the foreground connects to the capacitor (lower left, red disc on end). I think that's where the General wanted it to go.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM
69vette19467
Racer

Let me try again.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Crahm
Instructor

Default Thanks again

That looks like the wire connected to the noise suppression.
Mine are gone.
Funny thing, with the stock radio, I don't get ignition noise.

I did solve my problem. Loose connection on the column.

Many thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 69 wiring help, under steering column

Quick Reply: 69 wiring help, under steering column