Sponsored by:

1978 Corvette Power Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM
lasmith03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1978 Corvette Power Antenna

The owner before me removed the power antenna and cut the harness behind the back tire. I want to put a new power antenna back on and replace the harness. I've looked at different sites but I can't really tell what all I need. I figured someone on here would know for sure.

I've got the interior gutted while I'm putting down hushmat and reflectix so that's not an issue.

So I guess what I'm asking is which antenna and relay to antenna harness do I need to get? The sites aren't very specific on 1978 models. Mine did have a CB model but there is no CB in it now so I'm cool not putting the CB model back in it.

Thanks!!!
Lance
Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 PM
lasmith03
Intermediate

So I called Zip-Corvette. They said they don't offer theirs anymore because they were junk and they haven't found a good supplier yet for good ones. Does anyone know if the Eckler's ones are any good?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

My experience with factory repros is the same. They are junk. I went with aftermarket, they are cheaper and more reliable.

Here's a link to my install article:

http://californiastingrays.us/Articl...erAntenna.html
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I've got a very nice restored original AM/FM antenna(mint mast sections) and a NOS AM/FM/CB available for the 78-early79.
I'm holding off on listing them for sale til I can find correct mounting brackets for them. But probably ask $150 and $200 for them.
Also two complete NOS wire harnesses, radio to antenna. No relays, tho.

Or, there's one listed on ebay, buy it now, $599
You can usually find one under $300 if you're patient.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Yellow1980
Pro

You should be able to find a Metra 44-PW530 power antenna for less than $70.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:56 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this. I put in aftermarket unit that came with instructions and all the hardware. it was a lot of fun.

my advice is to but a quality aftermarket AM/FM unit that specifically says it will fit in your vette.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

None of the vendors have them. Look back in a few months but once they get them, order it fast before the run is gone.

Aftermarket antenna are a good alternative but you will need to file out the factory hole and the new antenna will not sit flush like the factory.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Yellow1980
Pro

Originally Posted by spedaleden
Aftermarket antenna are a good alternative but you will need to file out the factory hole and the new antenna will not sit flush like the factory.
I didn't have file the hole to fit the Metra 44-PW530 in my '80.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM
rwrawls
Heel & Toe

I had to replace the power antenna on an early ’79. I found that a Jeep Cherokee antenna (PN 56003151) would fit using the OE wiring and mounting points. I had to swap out the antenna cable contactor on antenna mast and solder the three wires (white, green, gray) to the OE wiring harness.
You can find the antenna on eBay for $75. Also, the Power Antenna body guide is Corvette Central PN 163074. I am also adding a Corvette Central antenna heat shield. I do like the looks of the antenna below the body and the flat antenna guide on the fender. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:11 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by KapsSA
I'm holding off on listing them for sale til I can find correct mounting brackets for them.
I may a mounting bracket. Came across some old stuff while looking for some other stuff. I'll track it down, take some photos and you can tell me if its the correct bracket you're looking for.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:14 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
I may a mounting bracket. Came across some old stuff while looking for some other stuff. I'll track it down, take some photos and you can tell me if its the correct bracket you're looking for.

Any of the brackets would be welcome, primarily looking for the bracket that was originally spot welded to the mast tube.
It WAS also available as a loose part.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 PM
lasmith03
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KapsSA
I've got a very nice restored original AM/FM antenna(mint mast sections) and a NOS AM/FM/CB available for the 78-early79.
I'm holding off on listing them for sale til I can find correct mounting brackets for them. But probably ask $150 and $200 for them.
Also two complete NOS wire harnesses, radio to antenna. No relays, tho.
If you're really interested in selling the CB one let me know. I bought a "good" aftermarket one complete with mounting hardware but its not CB. I'd like to put it back to "stock" with the CB one while I've got the whole interior out if you'll give me a decent price on it.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM
lasmith03
Intermediate

So I bought this power antenna with CB:

http://corvetteparts.com/item/antenn...ent-1978-1985/

Also got a NOS harness off Ebay (another $150) and the power antenna body guide from Corvette Central. I was lucky in that this guide will just screw on to the end of this particular antenna. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

The NOS harness I bought off Ebay was not for a CB car but it will work out better in the end I think. The relay to antenna harness was the same but the antenna cable ran all the way from the antenna to the front behind the radio. The CB/radio/antenna junction box for the antenna above has a short CB cable so this will all work out better. The stock one sat in the back under the carpet and insulation. Now, adjustments to the CB junction can be made up front instead of in the rear and having to pull out all the rear carpet to get to it. I plan on just having the CB cable sticking out in the passenger footwell somewhere so I can hook a CB up to it if I ever want to. I have a couple old ones.

QUESTION: One a side note...does anyone know what size the mounting bolts are that mount the brackets to the nuts riveted to the rear fender? My bolts are missing. I was hoping one of you might know before I bought the whole store at Home Depot trying to find the right size.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:27 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lasmith03
If you're really interested in selling the CB one let me know. I bought a "good" aftermarket one complete with mounting hardware but its not CB. I'd like to put it back to "stock" with the CB one while I've got the whole interior out if you'll give me a decent price on it.
I wish I'd have seen this, ya should have PMed me.
I have 2 complete wiring harnesses for the antenna, too, including the CB splitter with the 2 pigtails that go to the radio.
If the harness you bought has a timer in it, delete it. Not necessary. Could never figure out what it's for besides confusing people. But if it's a nos harness, it sounds like it won't work with that antenna. The ad says you need to use the new wiring that came with it.
The antenna hole guide from Corvette Central is the correct piece for the 78 but it won't work with the antenna you bought. You'll have to use the chrome one that came with it.

As for the bolts for the brackets, they're metric. I can never remember the metric sizing, but they're about the size of regular 1/4" bolts.

Last edited by KapsSA; 09-06-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Corvette Power Antenna

Quick Reply: 1978 Corvette Power Antenna