Sponsored by:

Rocker Molding trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM
eface2face
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Molding trim

I don’t post in the C3 forum but I am helping my buddy restore a 72. He asked me if I know where he could find rocker trim for his car. I found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151100121831...84.m1555.l2649
on Ebay and I wanted to get some thoughts about them. Has anyone ordered these before? It seems that the price is good. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

These are fiberglass replacements.
The originals were aluminum.
Are you looking to keep the car original?

There are some repops of the original trim panels, they don't fit well.
One vendor said this is being corrected. I haven't seen correct fitting panels offered yet.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Your best bet is to find some original panels at a swap meet. The 70-77 panels are the same; later panels are shorter, because of the enlarged openings of the wheelwells for larger tires.

The repro panels are 'decent', but the location where the panels taper down toward the rear are not right. So there is some excess gapping between panel and body that the original panels don't have.

Also, FWIW, you do NOT want to sand the surface of these panels (except for some very fine polishing paper). There is a very thin anodized layer on the surface that provides some stiffness, but mostly for abrasion resistance (road rash). If you sand it much, that protective layer will be lost and the surface will be prone to getting nicked up during normal driving.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

all the ones I have looked at , at swap meets are in pretty sorry shape for a whole lot of money. I have been looking for a while and have yet to find a scratch , dent or bend free set. there are lots of them out there but none that I have seen are any better than what I am trying to replace.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM
eface2face
8th Gear

He doesn't care to keep the car 100% original. But he does want it to look good. For what its worth the ebay post says that they fit good. I didn't know if anyone has had experience with the fiberglass rocker panels. We are having a problem finding the originals that are in good condition. At the swap meet they tend to be in bad condition.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:50 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Beware, the seller has zero (0) feedback
Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ef2f,
The rocker trim in your link will give a VERY different finished appearance than the originals did.
Since the originals were extruded aluminum and brite hard anodized there's no way to duplicate that appearance with a painted fiberglass piece.
The reproduction rocker trim while not great certainly gives a better appearance than these would; and at a reasonable price.
These seem to really only be suitable for someone who wants to paint the rocker trim in the same color as the car or in a contrasting color.
Finding VERY GOOD rocker trim at all is difficult, and VERY expensive, since people with very good original rocker trim know what they have.
Regards,
Alan

I know someone who has over $800 in a restored set. Is your friend interested in spending that kind of money?

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-14-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 AM
nodebtvette
Advanced

I just ordered the trim for my 76 from PCR. Wont' be until around October that they're in stock though.

I'm also checking with Gary G. on a used set.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:30 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default rockers

Originally Posted by eface2face
I don’t post in the C3 forum but I am helping my buddy restore a 72. He asked me if I know where he could find rocker trim for his car. I found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151100121831...84.m1555.l2649
on Ebay and I wanted to get some thoughts about them. Has anyone ordered these before? It seems that the price is good. Any help would be great. Thanks
I have a set off of my 76 under rockers 70-77 check them out
Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 PM
eface2face
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi ef2f,
The rocker trim in your link will give a VERY different finished appearance than the originals did.
Since the originals were extruded aluminum and brite hard anodized there's no way to duplicate that appearance with a painted fiberglass piece.
The reproduction rocker trim while not great certainly gives a better appearance than these would; and at a reasonable price.
These seem to really only be suitable for someone who wants to paint the rocker trim in the same color as the car or in a contrasting color.
Finding VERY GOOD rocker trim at all is difficult, and VERY expensive, since people with very good original rocker trim know what they have.
Regards,
Alan

I know someone who has over $800 in a restored set. Is your friend interested in spending that kind of money?
Alan 71 you bring up a very good point. But I don’t think my buddy is too concerned with the original color and finish. I think he actually would like the same color or a contrasting color to make it look a little unique. We will see but thanks for the comments that is what makes this forum great.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM
eface2face
8th Gear

The guy sold some of his rocker pannels and the feedback was good. I guess he just posted some on ebay that are painted and pre-drilled.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ef2f,
Thanks for the update.
These rocker trim panels may be a nice option for someone not interested in original appearance.... or 'close' is enough.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Anodizing

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Your best bet is to find some original panels at a swap meet. The 70-77 panels are the same; later panels are shorter, because of the enlarged openings of the wheelwells for larger tires.

The repro panels are 'decent', but the location where the panels taper down toward the rear are not right. So there is some excess gapping between panel and body that the original panels don't have.

Also, FWIW, you do NOT want to sand the surface of these panels (except for some very fine polishing paper). There is a very thin anodized layer on the surface that provides some stiffness, but mostly for abrasion resistance (road rash). If you sand it much, that protective layer will be lost and the surface will be prone to getting nicked up during normal driving.
I am no engineer, but I am an airplane mechanic used to working with anodized fittings and aluminum, and I seriously doubt if anodizing adds strength, and certainly is not going to stop a stone chip from damaging the base aluminum. Anodizing is for corrosion protection. If you do sand it off, which I did, it is very easy to use a good polish, like Mothers Aluminum Polish, and it will shine nicer than original, in my opinion with a classier more quality look. Rock chips are a different story, you can't have a rock pit a deep nick in aluminum without causing a permanent scar. It would have to be blended out and truth is the pieces are just not thick enough for that.

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker Molding trim

Quick Reply: Rocker Molding trim