Sponsored by:

How Long Did Your Restoration Take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:53 PM
MakoShark77
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '24

Well, I'm into my 3rd year now and highly disappointed with my "builder". I have been doing most of the work on my car myself and doing some work on other peoples cars at my "builders" shop on the side. This was supposed to be an exchange of services type of arrangement. I pay for my parts, but get use of the facility and a paint job in exchange for helping him with customer cars. Thats turned into a joke. I've been averaging around 15 to 20 hours or more a week at his shop and he's been stringing me along now for over 2 years and my car hasn't been touched since the body got its initial coats in February! The doors, hood, t-tops, nose cap, tail cap, headlights and rear spoiler all have been sitting in primer waiting on him and all he has are excuses. I can't tell you how many customer cars I've helped him get out the door, I've lost count. But I've never asked for a dime in pay just a paint job and a place to work.

When the body gets back on the frame and the rest of the pieces are painted I'm outta there. I can finish it at home. In the mean time I'm cutting off his "free skilled labor" services. He can hire someone to do what I've been doing for him and see how he likes that.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:02 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Into the 5th year last month. All that's left is GelCoat, Epoxy primer, blocking, final bodywork, more epoxy, base, clear and color sanding

Last edited by TWINRAY; 08-12-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:42 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark77
Well, I'm into my 3rd year now and highly disappointed with my "builder". I have been doing most of the work on my car myself and doing some work on other peoples cars at my "builders" shop on the side. This was supposed to be an exchange of services type of arrangement. I pay for my parts, but get use of the facility and a paint job in exchange for helping him with customer cars. Thats turned into a joke. I've been averaging around 15 to 20 hours or more a week at his shop and he's been stringing me along now for over 2 years and my car hasn't been touched since the body got its initial coats in February! The doors, hood, t-tops, nose cap, tail cap, headlights and rear spoiler all have been sitting in primer waiting on him and all he has are excuses. I can't tell you how many customer cars I've helped him get out the door, I've lost count. But I've never asked for a dime in pay just a paint job and a place to work.

When the body gets back on the frame and the rest of the pieces are painted I'm outta there. I can finish it at home. In the mean time I'm cutting off his "free skilled labor" services. He can hire someone to do what I've been doing for him and see how he likes that.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe he'll get the hint after you stop helping him out.

Hey, that paint scheme looks really familiar??? Got any more pics?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:28 PM
MakoShark77
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '24

Try "my garage" on my profile page. Got a few more. The pic in my avatar is how the car has been since Feb.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow I must be insane there is no way I could wait and work 3-5 years on a project. I had my 69 in the yard a total on 15 minutes (not kidding) before I started stripping the interior. Its now torn apart 100%. I have had my 67 327/350 for 5 years now and havent done a thing other than drive it.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree!

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
I don't think they ever finish!!!
Agree! (When this one is finished, I will likely start another one, LOL's!!!)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:22 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

1,800 hours over the course of 11 years Of course family life and house renovations got in way many weekends & many others were spent on side jobs to finance the project

My 68 Mustang took about a 1,000 hours over 8 years

No more projects

Jim
Old 08-12-2013, 10:59 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little over a year on mine. Skipping the really cold months as the garage is not heated.
Figured Id skip one step. Knew if I bought and old car Id take it apart, so i bought it in pieces.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 AM
cmhidinger
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

It's taken four years to get to paint. Full frame off. Last picture was taken yesterday at the paint shop after having fiber fill done. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I have been at my body off restoration since June of 2011. I've been interrupted by a move to a neighboring state, and 3 months of daily commuting for work from phx to las Vegas. Presently the body is back on the car and it runs and drives. All major mechanical work has been completed, as well as the fiberglass repairs. The car has been shot with 2 coats of primer and is ready for final fit of all trim. Just got the chrome back from plating. So thats my next area of attention. I want this thing finished in paint by the new yr. and wrap it up in spring. Barring any more life interruptions.
Oh and it helps to own a beautiful looking red 92 that you can get your corvette fix with. They're very affordable and drive excellent.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 AM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It never really ends...

If money is no object, it goes quick. If I had a full shop, time and money, I bet I could do one in a couple months....I don't have any of those though.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:59 PM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been at mine for 5 years, I'm now into the final body work and getting it "perfect" enough to suite me. The plan is to have it ready for paint next spring and on the road by summer '14.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 212 Posts

mine failed.. got it torn apart in tubs.. slowly buying parts.. then it sat for 2 years.. then I sold it and bought a finished one.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 70BBvert
No more projects

Jim
That's what they all say

Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Aquarian
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

When I towed my 75 Vette home 3-1/2 years ago, it was on our wedding annivesary, big red bow included! I told my wife I "only had to drop in an engine and tranny do some body work and we can go cruisin". She took one look put her hands on her hips and went inside. After getting into it the evils started to show up...rotted brake and fuel lines, body mounts installed with cardboard and bondo, and then I learned about all the "little" peices that I needed that weren't there. I had a roller about a year ago, (installed 700r4- another great learning experience) now I finally got alum. rad and plan to fire it up this weekend!! I know this will get the inspiration flowing and I can knock out the body work and put it back on the chassis. Doing all the work in my garage with some help from my son. With all the special equipment I bought and knowledge aquired I am going to have to get another project to justify the equipment purcheses to the wife, but I think i'll have to think up a new line, the engine and tranny one was one time only!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:42 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

About 7.5 yrs for my body-off resto-mod. I started out planning only to do a suspension upgrade; once I found the rust, the entire car came apart!!! At the time, I figured I would be done within 6-12 months, then the while-I-am-at-it-itis kicked in!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LudemJo
OMG Mike, that is hilarious!!!

The sad part is that is my biggest worry when I start my winter 2013/2014 project(s). I can see how it is very possible to have a case of "Well-while-I'm-at-It-itis" and end up having the car torn apart for many more months than anticipated.

John
Yeah, especially when you start looking very closely and see worn out parts, rust, oil leaks, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To How Long Did Your Restoration Take?

Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about 1200 hrs in my wife's 78. I try and keep up with it in hours since the times you cant or don't want to do anything cant count.

I got 3200 hrs in my 53 pick up. It is a long journey

don't get discouraged

sometimes I just go in the shop with a cold beer and talk to the car...that way we are still making progress
Old 08-14-2013, 07:00 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Restoring the 68 took me five years (2000-2005) from the day I brought it home to the day I took it on its first drive

But it's never really "done"....
Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

8 years from the time I first lifted the body off the frame till it was licenced for the road again.

Still not quite finished yet, if it ever will be

Quick Reply: How Long Did Your Restoration Take?