Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A 1978 WIth 10 Miles On It

http://www.westcoastcorvettesales.co...oor+coupe.html
Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Interesting and but don't expect to buy it and drive it everywhere. I'd say virtually every piece of rubber will have to be replaced - hoses, seals, tires, the list goes on. Fuel system? Flush completely.

Ask me how I know? I kept this 2.1 mile 1982 motorcycle in my home for decades until I sold it to a friend. He wanted a new 6 cylinder CBX motorcycle like he had as a young guy. He did all the work himself and was highly satisfied.

Pete
Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 PM
e6bailey
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very

It definitely seems like its not a 100,010 mile car.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some will buy a car and store it after they bought. Could have been a dealer car that just sat in the showroom all these years. Dealers will also do this so they can sell it for like Big Bucks later. Saw a barn find dealer in Nebraska sat on over 200 cars in his lot and show room for 40 years. Some of the cars only had less 100 miles on them.

Here is the link

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...-september.php

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/a...5&allimages=NO

Full list in PDF

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/a.../Inventory.pdf

This will kill anyone that remembers the Chevy Vega
Chevrolet
Vega
4 cyl
auto
2 dr station wagon
1V15B7U138603
17 miles

Heck I used to remember people in the late 70's and early 80's dropping V8 engines in these cars LOL

Last edited by MakoJoe; 08-06-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Extremely low mileage cars are usually interesting when offered for sale, but the question always arises "what can you do with it?" If you drive it and put miles on it, it loses its uniqueness.

Orange numbers under the hood did not come from St. Louis. They're dealer marks, probably the dealer inventory number.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

A friend of mine has a 1978 pace car in the same condition (never dealer prepped, plastic on seats, etc.). He trailered it home from the dealer and put it in storage beside his '53. He also had a two-tone anniversary version (like the one in this thread) that he sold some time ago. They are out there!

Jim
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Extremely low mileage cars are usually interesting when offered for sale, but the question always arises "what can you do with it?" If you drive it and put miles on it, it loses its uniqueness.
That wouldn't bother me. If I had $32,000 to spend on it I wouldn't leave it as is, the plastic and cardboard are comming off and I'm driving it like I would any other car. If you don't drive it, its virtually useless and for me it would be well worth the loss in value to experience having a new car that actually looks good unlike almost everything made after 1985. If I bought a brand new Mustang with a V6 for $35000 I could also say "If I drive it and put miles on it, it loses its uniqueness" but no one would think it strange or unreasonable to put as many miles on it as I felt like - it's no different with a Corvette like this.

Last edited by Priya; 08-07-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's neat, I need some parts..is it parked outside?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 PM
golfradict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette
that's neat, I need some parts..is it parked outside?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:46 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So, what was the purpose of buying the car and letting it sit for 35 years? investment?

If they had put that money into a CD at only 5% they would have a lot more than $32K after 35 years. probably closer to $50K.

It's a shame that Vette is destined to sit around the rest of its life.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 PM
e6bailey
Drifting

Originally Posted by MakoJoe
Some will buy a car and store it after they bought. Could have been a dealer car that just sat in the showroom all these years. Dealers will also do this so they can sell it for like Big Bucks later. Saw a barn find dealer in Nebraska sat on over 200 cars in his lot and show room for 40 years. Some of the cars only had less 100 miles on them.

Here is the link

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...-september.php

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/a...5&allimages=NO

Full list in PDF

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/a.../Inventory.pdf

This will kill anyone that remembers the Chevy Vega
Chevrolet
Vega
4 cyl
auto
2 dr station wagon
1V15B7U138603
17 miles

Heck I used to remember people in the late 70's and early 80's dropping V8 engines in these cars LOL
So I wonder if the cars still on original MSO's carry the factory warranty?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by e6bailey
So I wonder if the cars still on original MSO's carry the factory warranty?
Nope. Factory warranty was 3yrs/36,000mi which ever came first. Three years wins!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

A car like this isn't something I would want, but it's an awesome source of info for those with a similar car. I hope they photograph it extensively - markings, correct colors and placement of items etc. etc.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
That wouldn't bother me. If I had $32,000 to spend on it I wouldn't leave it as is, the plastic and cardboard are comming off and I'm driving it like I would any other car. If you don't drive it, its virtually useless and for me it would be well worth the loss in value to experience having a new car that actually looks good unlike almost everything made after 1985. If I bought a brand new Mustang with a V6 for $35000 I could also say "If I drive it and put miles on it, it loses its uniqueness" but no one would think it strange or unreasonable to put as many miles on it as I felt like - it's no different with a Corvette like this.
If you bought the car, it only makes sense to drive it, just like any new car. But from a financial standpoint, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a new car for that kind of money. Or, you could buy a very nice C5 or a good C6, perhaps still under an extended warranty for the same money. Either Vette would be a much better deal; modern power, handling, comfort, fuel economy. I know C3 owners love the looks, so do I, but realistically the new Vettes look just fine parked in YOUR garage.

Having been the caretaker of an unused vehicle (see post #2) I have had some skin in the game. I made some money on the deal and the new owner is happy. He chose to ride it like it was meant to be ridden. People within our group would ask me if it bothered me that it was being ridden after I kept it preserved for so long. My answer was always "not at all, it's his to do with it what he wants".

So whatever the fate of this Corvette or the $149,000 ZR-1 so be it.

Pete
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM
e6bailey
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
Nope. Factory warranty was 3yrs/36,000mi which ever came first. Three years wins!
I would have to disagree. The warranty starts on any vehicle once it has been sold and titled. I was saying if any of the cars in the original post I quoted were still on MSO and never sold, technically the manufacture would still have to honor the warranty.

If you were to buy a left over 2012 in 2013 your warranty would start in the day you buy it in 2013 not 2012. So I don't think the three years winning theory would apply to any car that has not be purchased and titled.

Your responds for the 3 years/36K I am guessing is referring to the 10 mile Corvette. I was referring to the person who posted about the untitled cars with MSO's going up for auction.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Originally Posted by PeteZO6
If you bought the car, it only makes sense to drive it, just like any new car. But from a financial standpoint, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a new car for that kind of money. Or, you could buy a very nice C5 or a good C6, perhaps still under an extended warranty for the same money. Either Vette would be a much better deal; modern power, handling, comfort, fuel economy. I know C3 owners love the looks, so do I, but realistically the new Vettes look just fine parked in YOUR garage.
It wouldn't make more sense to me, I think the C5 and C6 are hideous along with almost every new car made since 1985. From a financial standpoint it makes the most sense to put your money in a CD like TexasYankee said. For me if I'm going to spend what a new car costs I want a good looking car first and foremost, I won't put up with an ugly car just because it has better power, handling, comfort, and fuel economy. If it ultimately costs more to have an NOS 78 Corvette than a new car I have no problem with that at all.

Last edited by Priya; 08-08-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I won't put up with an ugly car just because it has better power, handling, comfort, and fuel economy.
this proves right here that women are all about looks and nothing else

Get notified of new replies

To A 1978 WIth 10 Miles On It

Old 08-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by qwank
this proves right here that women are all about looks and nothing else
That depends on the woman now wouldn't you say? For me with men its all about the personality, looks are irrelevant.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...That depends on the woman now wouldn't you say?...
Yes ma'am. Always has.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Amorget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you'd do that to this car, then this car isn't for you. Cars like this aren't cars, they are pieces of art.

Quick Reply: A 1978 WIth 10 Miles On It