Mirror, mirror…..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Mirror, mirror…..

A few questions about mirrors.

1) I ran the car at a NJMS driving school. The mirror keep flopping over due to the wind. Does you side view mirror stay in place or does it flop over?

2) When did Corvette start using two color coordinated mirrors (passenger and drivers side? Depending on the answers, I may consider this option. Anyone do this?

I read this post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...nd-mirror.html and may consider doing that depending on what replies I get. BTW: the car is a 1969
Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

1) If it took lapping on a track day at an NJMP, to make your mirror flop over, you did pretty good. Those mirrors are notorious for that, and usually it just takes a ride down the street. People have tried an assortment of different things, to fix the problem, from taking the mirror apart and tightening up the retainer, to putting a little SuperGlue on the mount ball. If you do a search here, or on the C1/C2 Forums (the 63-67's have the same problem), you should come up with quite a few different articles on the subject.

This is what we had to resort to, on the 66 Corvette vintage racer, that I crew on. We cut up some rubber fuel hose, wrapped it in duct tape, and them tightened a hose clamp around it.

It's not pretty, but it solved the problem, on the long straight at Watkins Glen.

2) The painted sport mirrors, became an option in 1977, and were made standard in 1980.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

you gotta love these old cars, on the way home about a month age the glass just fell out of the mirror. we had just replaced the left hand mirror on a 68 because of flopping so I borrowed his until the new one came in. behind the glass is just a spring plate riveted to housing for ball tension. my 68 track car had same problem, and both mirrors were fairly new, installed the sport bullet type from an 80's. you have to take the glass out, at the top of the door there is metal reinforcement that needs holes cut large enough for 7/16 socket for mirror lower housing mounting and before that you best have the mirror located correctly, there is no second chance on getting that right. took me about a weekend per door, but I'd walk away for awhile for contiplation sessions. this is not a job for the weak of heart definately a lot more than I expected. results; love the mirrors, look great, inside adjustment on drivers, and when you bump the they don't move. there is a picture of the car[blue] in the 'garage'.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

I was thinking of the later style painted mirrors where the housing would shield it from the wind, probably be more aerodynamic, and would not flop around.

Anyone do that?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Nobody has put newer mirrors on a old C3?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by cottoneg
Nobody has put newer mirrors on a old C3?
never been called that before, usually a lot worse. my 68 blue car has them. pics in 'garage'. description of install above.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,127 Likes on 731 Posts

Putting the sport mirrors on right ain't easy. Here's what I did

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...dont-suck.html

That said, I love the way they look and operate. No more sticking my hand out at 70 MPH to adjust the mirror. Some will complain they can't see out the back. I demur!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:29 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The mirrors on my '76 whistle at about 45mph. My gut tells me this is why they switched to the more streamlined design in later years.

Get notified of new replies

To Mirror, mirror…..

Quick Reply: Mirror, mirror…..