1970 lt1

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Bruce42
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1970 lt1

there is a 1970 LT1 Convert for sale on ebay , it is missing the original engine the seller is not sure about the heads but says it has correct intake and carb. it has both tops , colour is orange with beige interior it is is good condition asking $25,000.00 or best offer .
Is that a correct price
thanks Bruce
Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,338 Posts

That's not a lot of information to go on.

Here's a 71 Ontario Orange, saddle interior, LT-1 coupe, for $22,500. Now it is a coupe, but it's also $2,500 less, and it appears to have it's original engine.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3966584611.html
Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 PM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine is kinda what makes an LT-1 an LT-1. Even a nom car has a little more value, but unless it's in really good shape, it seems high.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Car has a non-original engine (is it even LT-1 configured?) but he still wants an LT-1 price. If the engine is built the same as an LT-1 and the paint is the correct factory color and in very good condition, the car is not out of line being priced as it is.

That is also assuming that the mechanical systems are all in good working order and the frame has no significant rusting.

If I were interested in buying such a car, I wouldn't give a first-offer of anything more than $20K
Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

An LT-1 without the LT-1 is not an LT-1.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

That is precisely true. But there are LOTS of LT-1 clone cars that look exactly like a factory car and with all the mechanical systems of a factory-built car. The only difference is that they cost less than an 'original' car and points judging at a show sponsored by a national orgainization {how's that, boyz?} will suffer significant reductions.

But, if you just want to show it, drive it, and enjoy having it, do you really care if it isn't 'original'. If you buy a clone, just pay an appropriate amount for it.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
I totally agree with this. What makes an LT-1 special is the camel-hump heads, the solid lifters, the mini-dome forged pistons, the forged crank and rods, the TI ignition, the Winter's dual-plane aluminum intake, and a few other tidbits.

Without all of the awesome components that make up that particular engine, it is just a "regular" Corvette with a snappy hood and a couple stickers.

Unless you plan on REPRODUCING an original LT-1 engine, the "premium" associated with that particular car is forever lost. At best, you'd end up with a non-number's matching "real LT-1 clone", if that makes any sense at all.

Funny that you're looking at an LT-1 without the engine. I have a 'regular' 1970 WITH a 'real' LT-1 engine. If you had my complete engine, your car would be worth a smidge more. Without it, there would be no particular premium over any other 'regular' Corvette in similar condition, in my opinion.

Last edited by keithinspace; 08-05-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bruce,
My take on this is a bit different.
IF this car still has ALL the other details that made a 1970 LT-! a 1970 Lt-!, AND, you'd like to go through the effort and cost of building an LT-! engine that would be correct for this car save that it's re-stamped, or maybe not stamped at all, THEN, this car MIGHT be worth something extra to YOU compared to a car that didn't leave St.Louis as an LT-!.
Some people want a car that indeed has the engine it left St.Louis with, while others say it doesn't bother me that this isn't the engine this car left St.Louis with. A term might be it has a 'restoration motor'.
You need to understand what the words mean, what the opinions of knowledgable people are, and what the value of these various cars would be.
An interesting situation to say the least!!!!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-06-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by gbvette62
That's not a lot of information to go on.

Here's a 71 Ontario Orange, saddle interior, LT-1 coupe, for $22,500. Now it is a coupe, but it's also $2,500 less, and it appears to have it's original engine.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3966584611.html
And that one has been for sale for a few months
Old 08-08-2013, 04:35 PM
DeadStang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Car has a non-original engine (is it even LT-1 configured?) but he still wants an LT-1 price.

If I were interested in buying such a car, I wouldn't give a first-offer of anything more than $20K
I don't think you're going to find a convertible LT-1 in this kind of shape with either a correct LT-1 (built) engine, or the original engine, for $25K. From what I see, $25K is standard chrome bumper convertible pricing, assuming the car is solid and in good condition.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:19 PM
kenpofan
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Well said...

Now it could be a real nice 70 vette but it will not be an LT1
Old 08-08-2013, 07:24 PM
DeadStang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenpofan
Well said...

Now it could be a real nice 70 vette but it will not be an LT1
So, with that reasoning, I can build an LT-1 spec engine, load it into any old Corvette, and magically have an LT-1?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadStang
So, with that reasoning, I can build an LT-1 spec engine, load it into any old Corvette, and magically have an LT-1?

I think his point was without the LT-1 it will never be an LT-1, just a nice 70 Vette with some LT-1 trim.

But..... if he can find an actual LT-1 motor, it would be a legit LT-1 again just without the original LT-1 motor.
I think anyway
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 PM
kenpofan
Instructor

Originally Posted by whitehause
I think his point was without the LT-1 it will never be an LT-1, just a nice 70 Vette with some LT-1 trim.

But..... if he can find an actual LT-1 motor, it would be a legit LT-1 again just without the original LT-1 motor.
I think anyway
Exactly...

Thanks for the clarification
Old 08-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...So, with that reasoning, I can build an LT-1 spec engine, load it into any old Corvette, and magically have an LT-1?...
There is no magic. You would probably have a nice car, but it would remain a used Corvette with a NOM.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 AM
kenpofan
Instructor

I don't think you're going to find a convertible LT-1 in this kind of shape with either a correct LT-1 (built) engine, or the original engine, for $25K. From what I see, $25K is standard chrome bumper convertible pricing, assuming the car is solid and in good condition.
Then call it a NOM 25 K car .

IMHO it is not an LT1 now and I think most others will agree with me.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

How do you know the car was originally an LT-1, ie a 1970 LT-1? Part of the value is the rarity of the option. It would take a lot of work and inspection from very knowledgeable people to convince me that a nom 1970 was originally an LT-1 and not a clone, and in the end probably not worth the effort, because when it comes to taking money out of my wallet to buy a Corvette I am not going to pay up for a NOM that once upon a time was an LT-1. Just my opinion/approach.

Way back in 1999 when I was looking for an LT-1 I spent an hour drooling over a beautiful blue 1972 LT-1 convertible and I couldn't understand why it was priced so cheap at $22k. Finally the salesman whispered to me "it's not a 'real' LT-1" and I wiped up my drool and walked away, dejectedly. That was a 72, so I would have eventually learned from the vin that the car was not an LT-1. Not so easy with a 70.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 lt1

Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
Not so easy with a 70.
I went through some soul searching with my car after I found so many quasi-genuine LT-1 parts on it. Real TI ignition but without the number band. Real Winter's intake, but with the last number off. Real Camel Hump heads, but with accessory bolts.

A big one that was a very plain "this was NEVER an LT-1 car" billboard with blinking lights around it was the presence of a return line to the fuel pump. My understanding is that the third line was NOT installed in a 'real' LT-1. Unless it was a re-do with a MASSIVE amount of attention to every aspect of 'making' the car an LT-1, this third fuel line will still be there, clearly indicating a 'lesser' car that was made to LOOK like an LT-1.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

LT1 was an option package. Logically anyone can build an LT1, just need to replace all parts which were unique to this package. It won't be an 'original' LT1 but would appear and perform identically with one which is.

Originally Posted by whitehause

I think anyway

Originally Posted by PRNDL
How do you know the car was originally an LT-1, ie a 1970 LT-1? Part of the value is the rarity of the option. It would take a lot of work and inspection from very knowledgeable people to convince me that a nom 1970 was originally an LT-1 and not a clone, and in the end probably not worth the effort, because when it comes to taking money out of my wallet to buy a Corvette I am not going to pay up for a NOM that once upon a time was an LT-1. Just my opinion/approach.

Way back in 1999 when I was looking for an LT-1 I spent an hour drooling over a beautiful blue 1972 LT-1 convertible and I couldn't understand why it was priced so cheap at $22k. Finally the salesman whispered to me "it's not a 'real' LT-1" and I wiped up my drool and walked away, dejectedly. That was a 72, so I would have eventually learned from the vin that the car was not an LT-1. Not so easy with a 70.
IMO much depends on what the buyer values. Does he want an 'original', mainly interested in its collector value, or is the buyer mainly interested in owning an LT1 to drive, looking for a car which provides exactly the same driving experience as the factory built? Many would call this a clone, accepted in most muscle car circles but not so much within the world of Corvettes. If the car were originally configured as an LT1 I'd say it was a restoration, just another component changed, much like those where the frame was replaced or some other major component. It won't have the original engine block which is important to collectors, no longer original. I believe most collectors pay a higher price for an 'original' LT1 mainly because a true original, one which hadn't been blown up, is rather rare. This brings me to my personal take on importance of having the original block. If the car is being marketted as a low mileage original, a survivor, it's imperative the block be original by definition. If the car has had extensive work done, restoration, major components replaced such as the frame, then the importance of the original block becomes a bit less important IMHO. In this situation, much of the car is no longer original. I may attach some value to having the original block IF the engine was in good condition, not a patched up block which would have been junked back in the day.

To non collectors who are looking for an LT1 to drive, no concern whether the block is original, I'd say a NOM LT1 may be a better deal, lower priced. Whether the car is worth $20K+ I can't say since I'm not buying nor do I know what people are paying for original LT1s or NOM LT1s. If I were buying, NOM or original, bottom line is I wouldn't want to pay more than others are currently paying for a comparable car.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by kenpofan
Then call it a NOM 25 K car .

IMHO it is not an LT1 now and I think most others will agree with me.
It is not only not an LT1 now, it will never be a "legit" LT1 again, no matter what engine someone finds for it.

A restamped fake might fool someone or might be the "clone" somebody desires, but that car is an NOM, period. If someone chooses to overpay for it, that's their call.

Never did understand all the talk about "this car WAS a big block (or whatever) before they removed the engine. Look at the tach!"

NOM = NOM.

Quick Reply: 1970 lt1