California SMOG without Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 AM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default California SMOG without Catalytic Converter

California Vette Owners -
So I just purchased my first Vette in California and really excited to get working on this 1976 4spd. There has been a substantial rebuild on the engine and exhaust system but there is no catalytic converter. I read that after 1975 the converters were standard. It looks like this may have been used only on the track is it was unregistered at DMV. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to pass smog before I go in without the converter or will it be required?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 07-22-2013, 01:25 AM
shok
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It will fail on visual even if it runs clean enough. Do you have a pic of the motor? Peaple more knowledgable than me may be able to point out other smog no nos.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:32 AM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm
Old 07-22-2013, 02:09 AM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will definitely need a catalytic converter to pass smog, especially with the tougher laws that went into place this year. Is it true dual exhaust, or is it stock with no cat?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:46 AM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. After year 1975 it appears it will need to be smogged in CA. Makes be think maybe I should have bought a 75 vs. the 76. The current build is a true dual exhaust straight back from new Hedman headers from the rebuilt engine straight back.
Should I go with a new Exhaust system converter such as the A.I.R Magnaflow or is it even possible to put in dual Converters on each side given the space?
The new system can be over $600 while a Convert is only $200. There will of course be some welding involved.
I'll get some images posted for reference.

Thanks again
Old 07-22-2013, 03:16 AM
VetteHalen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, I just went through the CA smog headache on my 1980 again two months ago. the registration required the highest/strictest type of smog check certification (can't remember the specific name right now). But, the first two shops i tried said they couldn't do it because they didn't have that certification yet. the third shop i took it to had the certification but he ran the serial number on my cat convertor and said it wasn't CA legal so he wouldn't even start my smog test. I asked him why that hadn't been an issue in previous successful smog tests in the past and he said they probably didn't check the cat's serial number, but he had to do everything by the book, per the new stricter rules or lose his license.

i immediately went to a muffler shop and asked for a CA legal cat convertor, which they had to go pick up somewhere else. $240 bucks later and I returned to the smog shop. he confirmed it was CA legal, and my car passed with flying colors (thanks to the new cat and a new 1-year-old engine, i'm sure)

i compared to my last 2 smog checks and it does seem the number maximums are all stricter than before, making it that much hard for us post-1975 classic car owners...

anyway, good luck and let us know what you go with and your results...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

There are many reasons my car is a '72,
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
There's also many reasons for not living in California.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Commodore
Instructor

"i immediately went to a muffler shop and asked for a CA legal cat converter, which they had to go pick up somewhere else. $240 bucks later and I returned to the smog shop. he confirmed it was CA legal, and my car passed with flying colors (thanks to the new cat and a new 1-year-old engine, i'm sure)"

Dose CF require post '75 cars, if equipped, to have its mounted and functioning air pump as well as a certified cat?
RB
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Commodore

Dose CF require post '75 cars, if equipped, to have its mounted and functioning air pump as well as a certified cat?
RB
They should. That doesn't mean they will. Same as your question about true duals. They should not pass your car with true dual exhaust even if you have a cat in each side. In a nutshell you are obligated to have all of the emission controls that the car left the factory with. You are allowed to substitute parts with a CARB certification (like the one on the cat mentioned above) but some of these are faily hard to verify (like on a muffler). As you've seen from examples above, some facilities are exremely picky and some more lax. It also seems to vary by county.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
No, there's only one. That's the model year it was built in.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 PM
VetteHalen
Racer

imagine what owners of post-1975 classic Ferrari's (and other Euro exotics) have to go through, i would think it's even worse than our cars.

...or maybe they just pay-off the guy at the smog shop with $200. (but i guess that's getting harder to do now, isn't it?)
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
No, there's only one. That's the model year it was built in.
God bless you.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AGVI
God bless you.
And you.

Get notified of new replies

To California SMOG without Catalytic Converter

Quick Reply: California SMOG without Catalytic Converter