Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Does Straight Pipes Mean???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Delta26
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Does Straight Pipes Mean???

I'm buying a Vette with "custom Ecklers straight pipe exhaust." It has two exhaust tips on each side in the rear. Does this mean it has two separate pipes from the engine on each side? No mufflers? It sounds great!

I realize this is probably something anyone should know but I'm not a wrench turner - just a Corvette lover. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:00 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Straight pipes is supposed to mean from the manifolds or headers all te way back to the tips no mufflers no catalytic converters. More recently people have been callin straight pipes the same as just removing the cats. It usually having straight pipes both sides of the engine have their own piping all the way back no y pipe or x pipe connecting the left and right
Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

As Jesse said, it could mean either no cat, or no mufflers. Be sure 1) its legal in your state 2) that the appropriate followup work was performed. (Maybe a bigger carb, exhaust headers, etc. If someone just threw straight exhaust on a stock motor Id suspect the previous owner was either ignorant of engine tuning or may have cut several corners elsewhere)
Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Delta26
Racer

The car passed NY state inspection in April - if that tells you anything.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:08 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you answered it in your question
Old 07-13-2013, 05:07 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Delta26
I'm buying a Vette with "custom Ecklers straight pipe exhaust." It has two exhaust tips on each side in the rear. Does this mean it has two separate pipes from the engine on each side? No mufflers? It sounds great!

I realize this is probably something anyone should know but I'm not a wrench turner - just a Corvette lover. Thanks.
Not to be a smart a**, but bring a blanket or sheet to put on the ground and look under the car, if you don't have access to a lift. You can then see what exactly is going on there, from the front to the rear, and it will help you understand better what exhaust is really on the car. It is also my suggestion to have the Vette checked out by your mechanic before you buy to make sure everything is operating as it should be, even though its past inspection, it also needs to pass your inspection with a qualified person, since you are not a "wrench turner"
Lots of luck and what year is the Vette?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Scottd
Drifting

The car passed NY state inspection in April - if that tells you anything.
It tells me that the owner knew the guy who inspected the car. Anything post 79 has to have cats here in NY. (You didnt mention what year it was)

Honestly, you are a self admitted newbie. I HIGHLY suggest you put out a net call here and ask for someone to come look the car over with you. Corvettes have some very peculiar problems. Im a car guy, but I didnt know squat about vettes when I bought mine and Ive been dealing with little problems since. I wish I had had a Corvette expert with me....

Hey, if the car is still in NY, (Im in central NY), lemme know.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Delta26
Racer

Originally Posted by Scottd
It tells me that the owner knew the guy who inspected the car. Anything post 79 has to have cats here in NY. (You didnt mention what year it was)

Honestly, you are a self admitted newbie. I HIGHLY suggest you put out a net call here and ask for someone to come look the car over with you. Corvettes have some very peculiar problems. Im a car guy, but I didnt know squat about vettes when I bought mine and Ive been dealing with little problems since. I wish I had had a Corvette expert with me....

Hey, if the car is still in NY, (Im in central NY), lemme know.
1981. Take a look at the car in the C3 for sale postings (page 2). There's a video also. It's the thread that says 1981/NY Crate engine. I'd like to know what you think. There's also a restoraion thread by the seller.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Straight threw in the world of engine exhaust means no restrictions and/or mufflers ........ancient term probably since the beginning of cars or automobiles or even motorcycles......
Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Sorry, guy. The car's been sold.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Delta26
Racer

Originally Posted by cor66vette
Sorry, guy. The car's been sold.
I know, I bought it.

Thanks, everyone, for your interest.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:19 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I know, I bought it.

Thanks, everyone, for your interest.
I didn't know. Best of luck with it.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Delta26
Racer

Originally Posted by cor66vette
I didn't know. Best of luck with it.
Thanks, it's due in Panama City Beach on Wednesday. To say I'm excited is an understatement. My first Vette since my '69 was sold in 1978.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Scottd
Drifting

I dont know Florida DMV laws, but here in NY that car would need cats to pass inspection. The PO must have known somebody, and you may have to grease a palm or two to get yours inspected. (Im by no means putting you or the PO down, I rip ALL the emissions controls out of all my hot rods and ask around until someone will work with me.) All in all I think you have a nice car. Now go drive the snot out of it!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Delta26
Racer

Originally Posted by Scottd
I dont know Florida DMV laws, but here in NY that car would need cats to pass inspection. The PO must have known somebody, and you may have to grease a palm or two to get yours inspected. (Im by no means putting you or the PO down, I rip ALL the emissions controls out of all my hot rods and ask around until someone will work with me.) All in all I think you have a nice car. Now go drive the snot out of it!
Florida did away with inspections years and years ago. At 69 years old I didn't want some 190 horsepower automatic. Can't wait for the first car show and ride by the high C vette guys with the pipes rumbling. Of course, those old coggers will probably complain that it's too loud!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:24 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

there are no vette's that are to loud...ever
Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 AM
ChaosPhoenixFix
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
there are no vette's that are to loud...ever
This.

However Command tends to get on my back when I rev the engine on base. However the new Capt seems to like it, lol

Get notified of new replies

To What Does Straight Pipes Mean???

Quick Reply: What Does Straight Pipes Mean???