Sponsored by:

Bubba Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bubba Engineering

So, my latest find with my new ride has prompted me to ask...What is some crazy things you found that a previous owner Bubba engineered? Me, so far I have found that the PO had all vacuum accessories ported through the rear of the Holley carb that was on the vehicle before I changed it out. Also, the alternator is on the opposite side, and not aligned correctly with the water pump pulley. Finally, he left the bottom bell housing cover off exposing the flywheel and the torque converter. I am sure more to come...
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't want to clog up your entire post with the stuff I found on our '77, so I'll just toss out a couple of them.

Custom lowering job in the front

Lost your key for the locking lugs? No problem... hold my beer and hand me that ball peen hammer and a chisel. (before and after I fixed it)

Wires melted... what are they for? Don't know but it still runs. Good - tape 'em up.

Lots more, but again, I don't want to take over your thread lol

Adam
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Vinnievega
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The person who I bought my 70 from had the car at a shop to have them replace the body mounts, and all of them were loose when she drove it from there to my house. The front especially was just dangling, and the front end had been removed and reattached at some point and basically they just dabbed some glue on it and shoved it back into place, and then snipped the stainless moulding on the drivers side to make it fit. Needless to say that was a whole day just to get it back to solid.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Wow, suddenly I am feeling better. Which is why I started this thread. I wanted to make sure I didn't buy a lemon. It is nice to know everyone has had their fair share of issues.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Adam, looks like they heated the springs...the one thing you shouldn't do when lowering your Vette.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:11 PM
4 speed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

self tap screw all through the interior.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

5 total paint jobs on the car. Thats primer, base and clear 5 times. The car must be 100 pounds light since I removed all the paint.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Vinnievega
Instructor

Originally Posted by 540 vette
5 total paint jobs on the car. Thats primer, base and clear 5 times. The car must be 100 pounds light since I removed all the paint.

lmao that's awesome. I got my car stripped already, but I have evidence of 2 complete color changes.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

I bought a nasty kit car once, a Bradley GT. (VW based kit thing)

The original builder used HOUSE CONDUIT to wire the turn signals.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
I don't want to clog up your entire post with the stuff I found on our '77, so I'll just toss out a couple of them.

Custom lowering job in the front

Lost your key for the locking lugs? No problem... hold my beer and hand me that ball peen hammer and a chisel. (before and after I fixed it)

Wires melted... what are they for? Don't know but it still runs. Good - tape 'em up.

Lots more, but again, I don't want to take over your thread lol

Adam
Originally Posted by Scottd
I bought a nasty kit car once, a Bradley GT. (VW based kit thing)

The original builder used HOUSE CONDUIT to wire the turn signals.
I remember those kits. I use to love them as a kid. That is just sad.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 PM
marks76ray
Advanced

Secondaries wouldn't kick in on the 4 barrel. traced it down to a vacuum leak, bubba tied the vacuum line to the windshield washer hoses. Had plenty of vacuum on the wipers, what a dumb
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 319 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinnievega
lmao that's awesome. I got my car stripped already, but I have evidence of 2 complete color changes.
Mine too

My bubba stripped the bolts on the power brake booster. Rather than fix it, he added a stack of washers and an oversize nut to get it to the good threads.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 AM
diggler's vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Mine too

My bubba stripped the bolts on the power brake booster. Rather than fix it, he added a stack of washers and an oversize nut to get it to the good threads.

lmao!!!
you win!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HotZR-1
Adam, looks like they heated the springs...the one thing you shouldn't do when lowering your Vette.
Yep.. bailing wire wrapped around the springs... heat 'em up and then cut the wire after they cool. Wire was still hanging in the springs when I got the car.

Originally Posted by 1HotZR-1
Wow, suddenly I am feeling better. Which is why I started this thread. I wanted to make sure I didn't buy a lemon. It is nice to know everyone has had their fair share of issues.
Glad we could help! Seriously though, I knew how much was wrong with our car when I got it, but I just couldn't let it end up in a junk yard which is where it was headed. It's running and we're driving it again. Long ways to go, but it's on the mend.

Last edited by AdamMeh; 07-09-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I had one of those self tapping hooks for hanging bicycles in the garage being used as a muffler hanger...its now in the garage with my weed eater hanging from it. I have been in the corvair crowd for a while, bubba was not so frowned on there, provided it worked and was safe.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Door latch rod ends because spending $10 for the correct ones wasn't in the budget I guess

Get notified of new replies

To Bubba Engineering

Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not trying to defend Bubba, but this thread has brought to mind one of my favorite Shakespeare quotes - "the evil men do lives after them, the good oft is interred with their bones".

I'm just thinking about how much we rely on the internet to properly maintain our cars. This forum is one of the main reasons I'm able to maintain my car myself, without it I image I would either need to pay others, or yes, release my inner Bubba.

Somethings are simply idiotic, like heating the coils to weaken then, to lower the car. But many other things that get laid on the proverbial Bubba, I sometimes think, would I do any different if I didn't have the resources I have today?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Vinnievega
Instructor

I kind of admire it, BUBBA invented the hot rod as we know it today. Many of those quick fixes have been on your cars for 25-30 years lol.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

There is also "ghetto engineering". Has a strong resemblance to "Bubba Engineering"

Quick Reply: Bubba Engineering