8 hole luggage rack with pins, how to tell

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 PM
DJmaya
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 hole luggage rack with pins, how to tell

Hi all,

I want to attach the T-Tops of my 77 to the luggage rack. I know I have an 8 hole LR but how do I tell if it has pins or not? I am unable to find a picture that clearly shows me what I should be looking for in order to identify it. I thought about taking a picture of my luggage rack but I don;t even know where I should focus the picture on.

Hoping you gentlemen can help.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

If you have a chrome, 8 leg rack, chances are pretty good that it has the pins. If it's stainless, it may not. Generally, the stainless racks are aftermarket, and didn't come with the pins. GM racks were chrome plated steel, and the GM 8 leg ones, all came with the pins.

The pins are pretty obvious. If my memory is working correctly, there are a total of 8 pins. The pins are on the outside edge of the 2 center most bars, with 4 pins on each bar.

The pins are relatively small, no more than a 1/4" long, but if they are on your rack, you should still be able to see them.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by gbvette62
If you have a chrome, 8 leg rack, chances are pretty good that it has the pins. If it's stainless, it may not. Generally, the stainless racks are aftermarket, and didn't come with the pins. GM racks were chrome plated steel, and the GM 8 leg ones, all came with the pins.

The pins are pretty obvious. If my memory is working correctly, there are a total of 8 pins. The pins are on the outside edge of the 2 center most bars, with 4 pins on each bar.

The pins are relatively small, no more than a 1/4" long, but if they are on your rack, you should still be able to see them.

All original and reproduction 8 hole chrome racks have the pins for 77. It was the only year for the eight hole rack too.

The repro stainless steel racks did not have the pins.

You'll be able to tell because you'll see them sticking outward from the side of the tubes. I can take a picture for you tomorrow if needed.

But.. it was common for people to purchase the roof panel carrier kit and use them on cars without the pins. GM included a pin kit in some racks as you'll see from the link below. But these pins were simply a metal tube held in place by a Philips screw.

Here is a neat write up I did years ago about the history of the luggage rack.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=217
Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the brackets and NO pins.... No problem now for many years....
Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 PM
DJmaya
Intermediate

Thanks for the info.
U17, what accessory are you using specifically to attach the T-tops to the luggage rack? I'd rather get the part I know it will work than playing a guessing game.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by DJmaya
...I'd rather get the part I know it will work than playing a guessing game...
The original GM V54 rack hardware used the pins in the rack to attach the brackets. If memory serves, there was (is?) a reproduction kit using clamps for the bracketry meant to fit the earlier 6 hole racks.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:08 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info.
U17, what accessory are you using specifically to attach the T-tops to the luggage rack? I'd rather get the part I know it will work than playing a guessing game.
I hope I can post this... They are a sponsor.. I have the bracket set from Ecklers..p/n 45913
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM
DJmaya
Intermediate

I definitely do not have pins on my luggage rack. :/

Easy Mike - Are you saying there is a bracket that does not require pins for 6hole?

U17 - how do the brackets and the straps stay in place without the pins? I am worried about them sliding all over and scratching the luggage rack.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The hooks grab the rack... the buckle holds the straps tight... I moved the bracket to the forward edge of the rack so it can't move forward.. Once you tighten them down they do NOT move.. Even at triple digit speeds...so I've heard of course ... I added Velcro to the straps for easier / quicker release for fuel ect.....
Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I definitely do not have pins on my luggage rack. :/

Easy Mike - Are you saying there is a bracket that does not require pins for 6hole?

U17 - how do the brackets and the straps stay in place without the pins? I am worried about them sliding all over and scratching the luggage rack.
The rack kit was sold for all year cars without or without the pins.. The original rack carrier kits came with the screws and spacers to make pins for the six hole racks.... But no one ever used them....

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To 8 hole luggage rack with pins, how to tell

Quick Reply: 8 hole luggage rack with pins, how to tell