C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the Corvette hood open backwards ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vairxpert
And then you have the Chevy Vega which opens the same as the Corvette.

Add in the Vega steering wheel and it all begins to make sense!
Wait - Wait Wait -- It was the Vega that got the Corvette Wheel ....

Frank
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You have better access to the engine and "stuff" on the firewall with the hood positioned as it is and opening [not pivoting]from the rear. You also don't need 10 foot-long release cables for 'front-mounted' latches.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why do we sit on the rear tires ? Because of weight distribution. The hood opens from the front to put more weight on the front tires and keep the hood from flying open. I have done 120 MPH in a 1972 Plymouth Satellite and the front end came off the ground at this speed scared the crap out of me when I was young and stupid. I could not steer the car good thing I was cruising down Route 80 on a straight and when a slight curve came up I let off the gas to gain control again. Never went over 90 MPH again in that car. The Early model Corvette nose was meant to keep it down on the ground and aerodynamics for these early model years were awesome.

Last edited by MakoJoe; 06-21-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I don't know about you, Mako Joe....but I have my hood DOWN when I'm driving. And, if it's down, it's weight is distrituted the same...whether it opens from the front or back.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:54 AM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

But where is the hinge hardware in the front or rear of the hood? Just a few more pounds forward? The Early model corvettes were not very front heavy to keep the nose on the ground. it was a early way of looking at handling and the rear while it was not light it was distributed fairly evenly.

c3 corvette suspension C3 Corvette. ... A stock vette has a weight distribution of 48% front and 52% rear and was set up from the factory

Why would they put it the hinges in the front..... Why to increase a little weight to evenly distribute the weight.

Last edited by MakoJoe; 06-21-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:49 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Both hood hinges together don`t weigh a pound! If they were put up front to add weight, they don`t add much. I think the more logical answer has already been given.... for the latch to be in the front would REQUIRE a cable because you`d never reach it from the nose, and that cable would HAVE to be 10 feet long... AND it makes it much easier to service the engine by having it open toward the front!

Last edited by oldgto; 06-21-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ya....I kinda dont think weight had much to do with it.....

Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Early Corvette design was strongly influenced by several foreign automakers, specifically Jag. One of the early Corvette designs was basically an XK-series with modifications. Hence, the rear opening hood. I don't care why but I do know it is a lot easier to service the way it is now. I've owned too many other cars with the standard rear-hinged hoods where you had to crawl over the fender to change the plugs or do other simple stuff. Remember how much trouble it was to change the points in an early Chevelle or Camaro? Or a C-10? I'm happy it ended up as it did.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MrJlr
...anyone know the story?...
Design and space. I recall reading about problems with the type of hinges and reinforcement required if hinged at the firewall. Goes back to the '53 models. It had nothing to do with underhood accessibility.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 06-21-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say it was for style and space as well. The 2 little hinges weight would not alter the balance of the car. Heck, even if it had the big "regular" hinges with springs I still don't think weight would be a factor. '50s fairlanes and thunderbirds used forward opening hoods too. Again, probably for style and maybe space considerations.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
I've owned too many other cars with the standard rear-hinged hoods where you had to crawl over the fender to change the plugs or do other simple stuff. Remember how much trouble it was to change the points in an early Chevelle or Camaro? Or a C-10? I'm happy it ended up as it did.
No I don't. Was the Chevelle that much different than my El Camino?
I've never had trouble accessing the distributor on any GM vehicle I've ever owned including the one pressed up against the firewall of my factory V8 Monza.

Also how do you change plugs or do any basic work on a Corvette without going over a fender?

I'm trying to grasp how engine access is easier when a hood opens to the front allowing only left/right fender access vs. a hood that opens to the rear and allows left/right/front access. Rear access doesn't exist because of a windshield, so why not open it to the rear?

I can't recall one time that I had to remove a rear opening hood for a repair on any car but I had to remove the hood on my Corvette and Vega for things like pulling a radiator or simply changing an A/C line.

For those mentioning the safety aspect...Every car I've ever owned (1962 being the oldest) has had a secondary safety latch. What cars don't have that feature?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:01 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I had my hood up so much I put a zipper on it.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by vairxpert
I'm trying to grasp how engine access is easier when a hood opens to the front allowing only left/right fender access vs. a hood that opens to the rear and allows left/right/front access. Rear access doesn't exist because of a windshield, so why not open it to the rear?
If the hood opened to the rear, you still wouldn`t have very good access from the front due to the distance from the front bumper to the engine bay. That`s quite a reach!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
Early Corvette design was strongly influenced by several foreign automakers, specifically Jag. One of the early Corvette designs was basically an XK-series with modifications. Hence, the rear opening hood. I don't care why but I do know it is a lot easier to service the way it is now. I've owned too many other cars with the standard rear-hinged hoods where you had to crawl over the fender to change the plugs or do other simple stuff. Remember how much trouble it was to change the points in an early Chevelle or Camaro? Or a C-10? I'm happy it ended up as it did.
BINGO! Chevrolet was following Jag, Austin Etc. Remember they were at the time trying to copy the European sports cars. Their hoods opened that way so was the Corvette!!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:03 AM
dgheinen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cuz it's cool.

-Damon
Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If it opened to the rear the hood would have to go almost verticle to give the access to the engine bay as you have now.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Why did they (insert corvette design question)?

answer: because its cool!

Get notified of new replies

To Why does the Corvette hood open backwards ?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Everyone can debate why it should open one way or the other....but nothing will ever change the fact that the C3 hoods ALL open from the rear.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 AM
indianavette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
Why did they (insert corvette design question)?

answer: because its cool!
Truth to tell, McLellan and Jerry Palmer connived to sell front-hinge bonnet design to senior management. They had data re Corvette owner's unbreakable habit of popping the hood at every whipstitch to show off the engine bay. Front-pivot design offered the best view of those huge front tires and that exquisite aluminum suspension hardware. But why did they put the hood prop way over there on the right side? Woulda been a lot more convenient on the left, eh?

Last edited by indianavette; 06-22-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-22-2013, 06:48 PM
boatmark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea why they chose to do it that way, although being like the other sportscars, and issues from primitive fiberglass technology would seem logical.

But remember several other cars of the era were that way. 55-6-7 Thunderbirds, and 57-8-9 Ford fullsize cars come to mind off the top of my head.

I think it makes it easier to work on. Although Mercedes has fixed part of that issue on their cars. The hinges on a M-B have a latch on the hinge that when activated allows you to raise the front opening hood fully vertical.

Quick Reply: Why does the Corvette hood open backwards ?