C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for Alan 71, (or anyone who knows)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default question for Alan 71, (or anyone who knows)

i mentioned Alan because i know he is knowledgeable (as many others here are) AND he has great pictures!

what is the correct finish on the hood prop and (i glass beaded mine, but didn't know if they came "natural finish") also, interested in what others have done to restore the hood latch assemblies, are they a natural finish? has anyone clear coated them to protect them from surface rust, or are they painted? thanks, Rick

ps, this is a 68' model, but i assume most of that era was the same...
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty sure it's all done in flat black and that's what I have done mine in. I'm sure Allen has some nice pics of his pretty lady and can tell you 100 % sure what it is.

Sully
Old 06-19-2013, 05:47 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Both the hood support and the latches, were zinc plated silver.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 PM
razman
Drifting

my originals had been painted at some point, so theoretically, i can bead blast the old pieces and get back to at least a similar original plating? i already glass beaded the hood support and then took a scuff pad to it (to restore original look) and it looks great! Rick

Last edited by razman; 06-20-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Sully1882
pretty sure it's all done in flat black and that's what I have done mine in. I'm sure Allen has some nice pics of his pretty lady and can tell you 100 % sure what it is.

Sully
I don't believe any year is correct in flat black. (I know 68-69 isn't)

NCRS Judging Guide for 1968-69 states:

"hood support should be plated in dull sliver cadmium or zinc. It is installed after blackout so there should be no overspray on it."

But I'll wait for Alan for verification.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:35 AM
razman
Drifting

on my unrestored 70' 350/350 coupe (i went and looked at it tonight) the hood support is unfinished/natural...but the hood latch assemblies are all painted black as though they were already installed before underneath side of hood received black out paint...is this correct for 68' also?? (or did someone black out my 70' at some point?) thanks everyone so far! Rick
Old 06-20-2013, 06:26 AM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

On 68's, the male and female hood latches were installed after engine bay blackout. That is evident by noting the attaching bolt studs attached to the firewall area is painted black before the male latch was installed and the nut then placed on the attaching stud to secure the latch. The female latches on the hood show no sign of paint on them and were like a gray phosphate as were the male latches. The left and right hood hinges were installed prior to blackout which were painted black and will also show signs of body colored paint on them when the body color was applied.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by razman
...on my unrestored 70'...the hood latch assemblies are all painted black as though they were already installed before underneath side of hood received black out paint...
They weren't installed before blackout. Blackout was completed with only the hood hinges in place. No other underhood hardware was installed on the body at that time.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 PM
razman
Drifting

EXACTLY the info i was after, thank you so much everyone for the education....Rick
Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Joelbbvette
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 1968

Originally Posted by razman
EXACTLY the info i was after, thank you so much everyone for the education....Rick

Why not buy the NCRS Judging manual for 68-69, it is an excellent source of information. Doesn't matter if you never show the car in NCRS, at least you will have years of research in one location. Best of luck with the restoration.

Joel
Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 AM
razman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joelbbvette
Why not buy the NCRS Judging manual for 68-69, it is an excellent source of information. Doesn't matter if you never show the car in NCRS, at least you will have years of research in one location. Best of luck with the restoration.

Joel
thanks Joel...but i have YEARS of research right here on the forum (which is why i am a member) i enjoy sharing my experience, and enjoy getting info from fellow members. for me it increases my pleasure of restoring cars...and btw, i have done TONS of research on my own, and have tons of AIM's etc....before the internet, forums, and Google, you had to work your *** off to get parts and info, the old fashioned way! Rick

Get notified of new replies

To question for Alan 71, (or anyone who knows)

Quick Reply: question for Alan 71, (or anyone who knows)