Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to change the color oh the car ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 AM
mesh11
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to change the color oh the car ?

hi ..

I am planing to buy a Corvette c3 and change it color to black .
what is the cost average ?

and Is there what should be done with the car's license?

What should I do?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 AM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

buy the car first. avg paint job cost maybe $7500, but if you take it to maaco, maybe $4000. not sure about your car license question. make sure you bring someone with you that has your best intentions first and foremost.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no paint expert but what I have found is this.

The C3 has beautiful sharp lines. In order to bring those lines out to the eye the best way is to sand a C3 to factory fiberglass and then prime and paint.

If the car happened to have been painted a few times in the past those lines tend to get 'rounder' if you understand what I'm saying. Cheaper paint jobs will sand down the existing paint just enough to make it rough and paint over it, covering up underlying cracks and imperfections. These imperfections could possibly cause problems with your overlying new paint in the future.

Maybe others can chime in and clarify my amateur explanation or refute it for that matter. Either way, we all learn something new.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 AM
mesh11
2nd Gear

I mean, is it forbidden to change car color?

Do I have to do something towards the responsible authorities - the police - for example?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

In response to your color change.
Here in Florida when you change owners on the title of a car you have the Ven number verified by law enforcement or DMV or someone certified by the state. I had a sheriffs deputy verify mine in my garage as it was not drivable. For color he wrote down “other” because it was in three different colors of primer. When I went to the DMV to have the title changed to my name the clerk saw “other” written for the color and asked what color? I explained that I was repainting the car but had not decided on a color yet. She told me that I could change it later when I renewed the registration but for the sake of the title what color was it when it was new? It was white. I also transferred a set of tags from another old car that I just sold to the Corvette and at that time and the color on the registration was white. So the following year my wife renew all of our car tags I asked her to get the color on the Corvette changed to red (the color I painted the car) well it did not happen. This year I did the registration and asked for it to be change to red. The clerk told me it had to be changed on the title first, well I did not have the title she told me it was only $3.75 to have it changed on the title any time. Yesterday title in hand I went up to the DMV to get it changed. This time the clerk (different one) tells me that the title change would be the regular fee for a title $77.00 or I could just change it on the registration for $5.00. I opted for the registration change.
All of that to say... I got three different answers from three different DMV clerks and different fees for the same question. (Do you still wonder way we can’t count the votes in this state?)

Last edited by Roco71; 06-14-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mesh11
...What should I do?...
Buy a factory black car.

License has nothing to do with color.

There is no "average" paint cost. Prices vary across the country.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

It's an often debated question. A color change on a corvette to some is sacrilegious. Others say make it how you want it. Some C3's such as the 72 were not offered in factory black. My 72 is sitting in black primer, it's tempting me into painting the color coat black.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:45 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Do I have to do something towards the responsible authorities - the police - for example?
Depends on your state. If you can navigate it, check the website of your state's DMV. If not call them. Some states have paperwork that include color; some do not.

Its not "forbidden" if you mean legally. In many cases, it will reduce the value of the car from original. In some other cases, not so much.

Depending on the effort and professionalism and level of disassembly and preparation and choices in quality of materials, the cost can vary wildly. You could spend $3000 or spend over $10,000.

If you are going to change the color, don't skimp on preparation.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:11 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 114 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When I bought mine, it was in rough primer and the beginning of restoration. Thought about red but since we were painting it ourselves-in the yard-I decided black would be easier to redo if necessary. Sanded though two coats of red, one coat of gold and underneath it all was the original black paint...so it's black again. Beautiful car there Vettebuyer--
Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Thanks ray... and bringing your car back to the original black was a great choice!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Depends on your state. If you can navigate it, check the website of your state's DMV. If not call them. Some states have paperwork that include color; some do not.

Its not "forbidden" if you mean legally. In many cases, it will reduce the value of the car from original. In some other cases, not so much.

Depending on the effort and professionalism and level of disassembly and preparation and choices in quality of materials, the cost can vary wildly. You could spend $3000 or spend over $10,000.

Just beautiful.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
You could spend $3000 or spend over $10,000.

Just be advised if you want to do a color change that doesn't look like a color change because there are no tell tale signs of the original color this is what's involved (and this wasn't even a color change).
Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located?

Rules vary state to state.

there is no average for Corvette paint

you get what you pay for

why do you only have two post?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:22 PM
straitjacket
Racer

hey buy mine! its already had the color changed from white to black! its on the forum under cars for sale. the thread is closed but my number is there and a couple of pix too!
billy
Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
It's an often debated question. A color change on a corvette to some is sacrilegious. Others say make it how you want it. Some C3's such as the 72 were not offered in factory black. My 72 is sitting in black primer, it's tempting me into painting the color coat black.
It's got to be either black or red all other colors suck.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

If you change the color you go down to the DMV and fill out a form and they will issue you a new regi with that color on it. If you even do it at all. The vin is what they look at not the color.

Get notified of new replies

To to change the color oh the car ?

Quick Reply: to change the color oh the car ?