Sponsored by:

Original or aftermarket??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Original or aftermarket??

Is there a way to tell if the hood is original OEM or aftermarket? Is there a part number somewhere on the orginal hoods or something that will tell me?

This is for my '81.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originals are SMC. Most of the aftermarket hoods are hand laid.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Ok...I have to admit I just do not know how to tell the difference between SMC and hand laid.....so tell me how.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Ok...I have to admit I just do not know how to tell the difference between SMC and hand laid.....so tell me how.
If you are referring to your 81 and can post a pic, that would help. From what I have seen and I may be well off base, most of the aftermarkets hoods are a different configuration than stock, and more times than not, they are also harder to install and line up properly. Granted I have never had any on the Vettes in the past, but from the ones I have seen, I prefer a stock OEM unit. Of course I would imagine that the bigger $$$ hoods fit much better than what they use to....again....JMO.....
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Corvette SMC is gray, has a slight marbled look, and is smooth on both sides. Hand laid could be any color, is usually smooth on the painted surface side, a little rougher on the underside, and can be thicker than factory panels.

Everything here is SMC:

Any reason to believe your hood is not stock?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

The hood is the stock configuration as far as height/style no high rise or side openings...nothing like that.
I was just wondering as I had purchased a pre-cut insulation sheet and it does not come even close to fitting. Emails with the vendor says they have not had any problems with fit for years and refunded my purchase.
However they questioned as to whether the hood was OEM or not which I think(?) it is...but I could not find any GM part number or anything else on the hood.

I can post a picture, but what should the picture show? Top side, bottom side...edge????

Hood fits pretty good...need an alignment bumper at the left front wheel arch to bring it up to the body, but other than that fit is good.

This is my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure on an 81, but my 69 BB hood has a GM part number inprinted / pressed right in the middle of the underside of the hood, You really have to look for it, but it's there.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The hood is the stock configuration as far as height/style no high rise or side openings...nothing like that.
I was just wondering as I had purchased a pre-cut insulation sheet and it does not come even close to fitting. Emails with the vendor says they have not had any problems with fit for years and refunded my purchase.
However they questioned as to whether the hood was OEM or not which I think(?) it is...but I could not find any GM part number or anything else on the hood.

I can post a picture, but what should the picture show? Top side, bottom side...edge????

Hood fits pretty good...need an alignment bumper at the left front wheel arch to bring it up to the body, but other than that fit is good.

This is my story and I am sticking to it.
Somebody makes hood insulation for an '81?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:31 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Can I ask, why do you want to put an insulation sheet on your 81???
Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

I thought it would be a good thing to do to protect the paint from all that engine heat.....and yes I know that they did not come stock with one.

The insulation I have is about 1/4" thick and would needed to be glued in place. Would there be any harm in putting it on?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

I thought it would be a good thing to do to protect the paint from all that engine heat.....and yes I know that they did not come stock with one.

The insulation I have is about 1/4" thick and would needed to be glued in place. Would there be any harm in putting it on?
There is a recent thread on this very topic. IMO, I don't think you have to worry about paint damage from not having any hood insulation. When you get home and are finished with your drive, just open your hood and let the heat escape. Your hood is going to get hot with or without insulation anytime the engine is running. And never, ever let the hood sit with rain water after a drive, as that is a sure way to get water spots, and I hate water spots.......lol

And I would not be to anxious to glue something to the underside of my hood, for when you would have to chnage it out in the future, what a mess it would be.....JMO
Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I can tell you on my the 80 I had, the surface of the hood would get much hotter from sitting in the sun than it did from engine compartment heat.

Aftermarket hoods are usually much lighter than the stock hoods, although the 80 hood was much lighter than it's predecessors. My 75's stock hood was crazy heavy! My new Ecklers L88 hood is a feather compared to any stock hood even with the air chamber installed.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:15 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Okay I am convinced to leave the insulation off. Better to put insulation in the cabin.

Get notified of new replies

To Original or aftermarket??

Quick Reply: Original or aftermarket??