Sponsored by:

Lost Door Keys / Tumbler Code location

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM
jcurtis
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Door Keys / Tumbler Code location

I purchased a car without the door keys and would like to have a set made. Rather than pulling the locks out is there a way to see the code with a small mirror or are they underneath the metal housing directly on the tumbler?

If I have to go as far as pulling them out are there any tricks I need to be aware of, so that I dont damage the vehicle. Please let me know because I would really hate to accidently do something wrong and it bite me in the @$$.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I just went through this. On my 82, I ended up changing the locks. Once I got the originals out, there was no code on the sides at all. Maybe they were replacements already? Its really not that hard or expensive to change them out
Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 AM
jcurtis
Cruising

Are there any tricks to removing them? BTW mine is a 76 if that makes a difference.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Just be careful what you pry on when removing the clips. I used long curved needle nose pliers and a long screwdriver to pry the clips out. Getting them back in was a slight chore also. I used some pb blaster on the clips so they would slide on easier. Just don't unhook the door handle linkages or you will hate life.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

look in your storage area, one of the lids should have a keyed lock, pull that and take it to a locksmith, have them make a key that works for it, presto, door key, and you didnt have to mess your doors up doing it.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
rjoyal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
look in your storage area, one of the lids should have a keyed lock, pull that and take it to a locksmith, have them make a key that works for it, presto, door key, and you didnt have to mess your doors up doing it.
Or remove the glovebox lock and use it.

This assumes that the locks are all the same still - if you don't have keys, who knows what's been changed...
Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

worked on both my 87 with the console door and my 76 with the storage door, bought both without door keys. finding out is alot less labor intensive than pulling door panels
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM
jcurtis
Cruising

I pulled the storage door cylinder and will drop it off tomorrow. I will post results when I get it back in a couple of days. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 PM
jcurtis
Cruising

Bad news, they said that it wouldnt work. According to there books the storage lock only uses 4 wafers where the door key takes 6. Does anyone know if the last two were just left uncut?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:07 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

I didnt and dont have that issue, could you possibly try a different locksmith. The locksmith I've used for both cars is the person that told me about the console and storage trick
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Gitiup
Instructor

Having been a locksmith for 37 years, GM products up until 1976 there is a code stamped on the lock in the compartment/glovebox. If no code is present the locksmith makes the key to glovebox lock and progress the other 2 cuts, but the car or the door lock has to be there to progress the cuts, if he doesn't know how to do it find another locksmith.. Good luck...

Get notified of new replies

To Lost Door Keys / Tumbler Code location

Quick Reply: Lost Door Keys / Tumbler Code location