C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome bumper experiences? Owning, driving, staring at it in the garage....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

After about 25 years of owning my 69, I still get excited about driving it every time- it works something like that famous little blue pill. Mechanically, I've been through the entire car and have done the vast majority of work myself. If you're not afraid to roll up your sleeves from time to time, or if you can afford to have someone else do the work for you, then jump in and enjoy the ride. Folks love these cars. I live in a fairly small town that draws tourists during the good weather and, when we go downtown and park to get frozen yogurt on the warm eves, people always stop and look the car over. Many times they walk around it and take photos. It also makes for quick and easy friendships with fellow Vette owners. The car will stay with me until I leave this earth. Enough said.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:07 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfGaladriel
I've asked this once before, but now that I am actually close to my first corvette purchase (1969 Silver/black coupe, SB, driver quality) I'm getting a bit gun shy and looking for some confirmation.
For the chrome bumper owners out there: Is the experience of actually owning and driving a chrome bumper equal to, or better than, all the dreaming and anticipation of chasing one down? yes! I mean, better than!!
Did the car hold up to your expectations once you got it and started driving it? I think so - enjoy driving it, but I don't remember what my expectations were.
How often do you drive it? every chance I get... which works out to probably every other week on average...
How long can you cruise in it before you wish you were back in your modern car? depends on the weather too... if it's over 90 degrees, I can drive for about 15 minutes. Maybe 1 hour.... but I don't have a urinal in my modern car either...
How long do you still sit in your garage just staring at it? every time I enter/exit the house, almost always through the garage, always stop and admire the vette. The body is a work of art.
Is it still worth all the maintenance expenses over the years? easily.. in fact working on the car and learning how to work on the car has been part of the fun
Love to hear some experiences to boost my courage to pull the trigger on my first classic car. I plan on driving this beauty as often as possible, fair weather permitting. It won't be a daily driver, but I can see myself taking it to work a couple of days per week.

I will add that buying my vette 14 years ago was one of the best life decisions I have ever made. In addition to the fun of driving, maintaining, washing and looking at the car, you gain admittance to the C3 ownership club which will take you to car shows, car clubs, meet lots of new people, corvette forum, NCRS if you are so inclined, and other car related activities like drag racing.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

OP, I see you are about 400 miles from the site of Bloomington Gold, this year in Champaign, IL.

I suggest to take a few days, drive over there for the last weekend of this month, and feel the Corvette vibe a bit.

Bet you buy the car the next day or 2.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:29 PM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Mines a rubber bumper AND I paid too much AND it's not matching numbers AND there is still plenty to be fixed on it...

AND I still feel like I made the right decision.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:03 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you everyone for the replies. Glad to hear the owning experience is as good as the expectation. I'll be making my offer later today.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

I worked on my '71 for 13 years and never drove it (body-off), and was hoping to like driving it. Since I've "finished" my car two years ago, I've put almost 10k on it with no problems to speak of. I'ts a really great running and handling car, besides being a really cool classic.
You won't be sorry if you buy one, just make sure to have an expert check out the car for you.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I've owned my '71 for about four years, and I looked for about a year, waiting to find the right one.

I love it; I'm glad I waited to find one in the condition I was looking for, with the bumper-style I love.

At about every Corvette show I go to, I get a comment from somebody with a rubber-bumper Corvette who says "I wish I waited...".

I would probably have enjoyed a rubber-bumper just as much from the inside, as my base-motor car is no rocketship, and I would have saved quite a bit of money. And they're still good-looking cars.

But when I stand there at a show or in my driveway and look at mine, I fall in love all over again.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've asked this once before, but now that I am actually close to my first corvette purchase (1969 Silver/black coupe, SB, driver quality) I'm getting a bit gun shy and looking for some confirmation.
For the chrome bumper owners out there: Is the experience of actually owning and driving a chrome bumper equal to, or better than, all the dreaming and anticipation of chasing one down?
Did the car hold up to your expectations once you got it and started driving it?
How often do you drive it?
How long can you cruise in it before you wish you were back in your modern car?
How long do you still sit in your garage just staring at it?
Is it still worth all the maintenance expenses over the years?
Love to hear some experiences to boost my courage to pull the trigger on my first classic car. I plan on driving this beauty as often as possible, fair weather permitting. It won't be a daily driver, but I can see myself taking it to work a couple of days per week.
I was fortunate to stumble into the chrome-bumper crowd as initailly, I did not focus on the early year cars as much as the entire generation. I have always been smitten by the '80 to '82 rubber bumper styling and in the end, fate brought me what I later learned, to be a true favorite.

I stared at the hulk for over 3 years before completing it to ready status. The first year after completion of a body-on resto-mod, magnified everything that I failed to follow from the AIM or after-market manufacturer. Oops... sometimes stuff happens. I learned what works and am more particular to the quality of service that I provide to keep it road-ready.

Since then, I drive it as often as the weather and cleared roads allow. Sometimes, it gets wet from snow or rain but it always cleans up nicely. Body and paint make it a 20-footer at best but mechanically, I replaced as much as the bank allowed or I deemed necessary for safety or convenience. This platform is rock steady and very predictable now.

The "while-you're-at-its" crept in at every opportunity and I'm happy that I gave serious thought to the jobs that would be a major PITA in the future. I reap those benefits each time I buckle up for a ride. I have driven cross-country many times since completion because of the foresight to add overdrive. What a surprise for some folks to see us in the middle of the western US, stopping for a meal or gas after a 300 mile hike before continuing on to the next 300 mile leg. Love that.

Oh and it's a mini car show, everywhere I drive or stop. Lots of nice people say nice words and I never tire of the compliments. I try to be humble but when you own one of these cars, it's a chore to keep the enthusiasm in check.

Of course, you may have to actually buy one to know that. Hope you decide what is best for you then all of this dialogue will simply be cataloged for the next future-owner.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dustup7T2; 06-11-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

My '71 that I bought in '96 is the car I feel most at home in. It fits like a glove. The 4-speed shifter is right where I need it to be. I prefer the low RPM torque of the small block to the high winding flat 6 of my wife's Porsche. There's nothing better than taking it out on a crisp, clear winter morning when it's just above freezing, top down, heater on high. This car will be passed down to one of my kids when I'm gone. I am never getting rid of it.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM
fazang
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just going to say that I have a '69 and no need to repeat every post of Keithinspace so
I will just +1 him on every point, as i have pretty much experienced all the same situations of ownership !

Love rolling my sleeves up and adding to the list of things i can say i fixed on it.

You can not help taking a peek every morning as you walk by it in the garage on the way to work in the DD.
I inherited mine and will never sell it. Pretty Sure i learned to drive Stick in this very car....

I'm in there somewhere...

-ALF out...
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I'll be making my offer later today...
Good luck.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
1969Corvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was that guy who passed up buying a Corvette years ago. Last year both my parents passed away and I said screw it because you never know how much time you have left here. last August I found a good deal on a 69 convertible driver car. I have done all repairs and work so far myself. This was the best purchase I have made to date in my life. Yes the car has needs and stuff I want to do to it, but every time I get in it I feel complete and wish I owned it 20+ years ago. I just forget about it all when I am driving it and relax. It also helps the" thumbs up and nice car" comments. When I am in it. Check the frame before the rear wheels real good because that will be the one thing that might be a deal breaker for you. Mine is OK but I got lucky.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:14 PM
FatCat
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my C-3 last September, (78 rubber bumper sorry) and I spent the past 6 months pulling the engine, rebuilding, scraping and painting and now just need to reassemble the doors and install new weatherstripping. Shooooo lots of work but lots of firsts! Engine rebuild a first, paint a first, owning a corvette a first! I will say I would give this car away to my son before I will ever sell it. I just drove it around the block the other day and got excited. Doors going back together ASAP and me and momma going out on the town. Buy it, love it, rub it and drive it like you stole it!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:35 PM
stingrays_r_us
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have had both. C6 and C3. I love the modern HP and accesories of the C6, but IMHO NOTHING beats the feeling of the C3 cockpit, banging through the gears, while watching those curves of the front end staring to the sky. Even when I'm driving my daily throughout the week and see a C3 somewhere, it an automatic eye catcher. The bodystyle of these cars are like no other. And yes I stare at it in my garage with the same smile I get when I drive it!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lawn chair.....cold beer....Corvette....next best thing to driving it. My wife gets a kick out of it. "Better than a husband that goes to strip joints".....what a great gal. All she does is ask if i need another beer never infringes on my Vette time.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Dboy23
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
Chrome bumper all the way ftw. Chevrolet built the very last Corvette in 1972....after that is was all downhill with those stupid Ralph Nader safety bumpers ruining the lines of the Vette....i tried to go that route....even had a C4...later C3 owners won't like my opinion
As a later C3 owner I would like to second you in saying Chrome Bumper C3 FTW.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Schaggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I will politely offer this, though: If I didn't derive satisfaction from working on the car myself, ownership of a 1970 Corvette would SUCK EGGS. I would get so freaking tired of paying people to fix the stupid thing...couldn't image it.

For me the wrenching is half the fun, but if it's not your bag you'd better be prepared to dedicate copious resources to a C3. At this point any chrome bumper car is at least 40 years old. Unless the car's had a frame-off resto in the last 20,000 miles, things are going to break. Sometimes while you're driving.

For me that just adds to the adventure.

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome bumper experiences? Owning, driving, staring at it in the garage....

Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Pictureme
Advanced

You have to remember that you are asking the choir if they enjoy singing...
Most of us wouldn't be here if we didn't feel the way you have read in these posts.

There isn't a single time that I have been driving the car that someone didn't have something to say, a head nod at the stop light or a thumbs up with a big smile. Not once. I live in SoCal so I drive my car often. Work from home so I don't have a DD per se (06 truck sits next to the 69 in the garage).

You said you were going to make an offer. We'd love to hear the outcome. I hope you get it.

Last edited by Pictureme; 06-12-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Can't spell; can't type
Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM
kdzdds
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

Default 69 chrome bumper car

I've had my 69 big block for nine years and love it!! Yes, things will
need to be fixed here and there but as the "choir" on this forum says
it is worth it....they are fantastic cars and are a hoot to drive.
Pull the trigger and have some fun.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Thank you all! Great stories and I really appreciate all the replies. I'm sold! I have made an offer and they are going to consider it and get back to me.

Quick Reply: Chrome bumper experiences? Owning, driving, staring at it in the garage....