Sponsored by:

Help me value this '69 please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Slow down is my advice. If the seller is firm at 15K he is going to have it for awhile if you pass on it. I have owned several C-3s and I can tell you that while the car presented is a nice driver it is going to be difficult to move at that price. Remember you know it needs tires and there are always little things that don't get factored in. At some point you are going to want to sell it even though you may not believe it now. If you invest 15K in it plus add some more (which you will) you are going to be upside down. It is a buyers market right now with C-3s, even chrome bumper models. I think 12-13 is fair but at 15 you are paying too much. Don't worry about offending him, be polite but offer around 12 and let him get back to you. If you do a little searching you will find what you want at a price you can be happy with. This looks like a nice car but it does have issues that will effect it's resale value.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 AM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi SOG,
From your description it sounds like you may be able to look the other way on the engine, body color, interior color, and wheels/tires.
This might, therefore, make a nice car for you if it checks out well.
What $ is the owner asking?
Maybe $10,000?
Regards,
Alan

I'd wish it were a 4-speed.
If you really like it and are ok with 15k go for it - but I wouldn't pay more than 12,500 assuming everything else checks out ok.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:57 AM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfGaladriel
The VIN on the title matches the VIN plate provided by the State.
ok, the Vin on the state provided plate matches the Vin on the title....BUT is it a 1969 formatted corvette VIN or a state sequential number? in other words, did the state issue a new title for the car with a new VIN or did they put a plate on the car that matches the original 1969 VIN?? (big difference)
Old 06-19-2013, 11:32 AM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seller and I have agreed on $12K for the car, pending a full frame and birdcage inspection by a professional mechanic. Seller found a soft spot on the frame near the rear wheel, quarter size area this past weekend.
When sweeping the garage he noticed a pile of leaf litter and debris under the car. When he bent down to inspect it he found that a mouse had made a nest in the frame hole near the rear tire. Understandible since this car sits for many weeks to months at a time in the garage without being driven.
While digging out the debris, he noted that the frame coating had bubble up just next to this. He started tapping it with a hammer and noted it sounded dull. He says he was able to chisel out a quarter to 50 cent piece size hole before hitting solid metal.
He was very upfront and honest about this with me and refuses to sell me the car until it is repaired.
He is going to have the frame inspected and repaired. I've asked that whoever inspects the frame also inspects the birdcage thoroughly. If frame and birdcage are still sound, repaired professionally, then I will be buying this car.
I think its the right car for me at this time.
Thanks again for all the advice, help, suggestion, and experiences posted in this thread. I'll let you all know how it goes from here.

Last edited by SonOfGaladriel; 06-19-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Oh, VIN is a '69 Corvette VIN. However, the second digit is a '6', not a '9'. Still trying to figure out if this is a manufacturer 'typo', as the State police 'read' a '6' on the frame when they verified the car. I'm wondering if the State Police got it wrong or if the factory guy that stamped the frame inadvertantly put the '9' upside down. All other VIN numbers check out: VIN is 164379S737080
Old 06-19-2013, 11:52 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seller and I have agreed on $12K for the car, pending a full frame and birdcage inspection by a professional mechanic. Seller found a soft spot on the frame near the rear wheel, quarter size area this past weekend.
When sweeping the garage he noticed a pile of leaf litter and debris under the car. When he bent down to inspect it he found that a mouse had made a nest in the frame hole near the rear tire. Understandible since this car sits for many weeks to months at a time in the garage without being driven.
While digging out the debris, he noted that the frame coating had bubble up just next to this. He started tapping it with a hammer and noted it sounded dull. He says he was able to chisel out a quarter to 50 cent piece size hole before hitting solid metal.
He was very upfront and honest about this with me and refuses to sell me the car until it is repaired.
He is going to have the frame inspected and repaired. I've asked that whoever inspects the frame also inspects the birdcage thoroughly. If frame and birdcage are still sound, repaired professionally, then I will be buying this car.
I think its the right car for me at this time.
Thanks again for all the advice, help, suggestion, and experiences posted in this thread. I'll let you all know how it goes from here.
Get your OWN inspector to check this vette out carefully. You have no idea how expensive and time consuming it is to fix rust on these cars. Up to and including lifting the body to fix the frame properly.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

That serial number thing would make me walk away.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Oh, VIN is a '69 Corvette VIN. However, the second digit is a '6', not a '9'. Still trying to figure out if this is a manufacturer 'typo', as the State police 'read' a '6' on the frame when they verified the car. I'm wondering if the State Police got it wrong or if the factory guy that stamped the frame inadvertantly put the '9' upside down. All other VIN numbers check out: VIN is 164379S737080
I have no shame. I am literally begging to see a pic of the actual VIN tag for this 69.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

I know it's not likely to increase.
Why do you say that? If this were true it should sell for a rock bottom price, maybe a couple thousand? The value probably bottomed out in the 80's when the new generation came out, C3's weren't old enough to be classics, just old.

How much the value may increase depends on what the market for these old cars does.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Quite frankly, after reading this thread, I'd save up a bit longer and buy a car with fewer issues. Remember, the quality you buy today is the quality you will have to sell at sometime in the future.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
I have no shame. I am literally begging to see a pic of the actual VIN tag for this 69.

Here you go:
Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
garyguinn
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

PM sent
Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

If someone was looking at the serial number on the frame over the rear wheel with a mirror, It would be very easy to have put the 9 down as a 6.
As long as you get a clear title, buy it and drive it like you stole it.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

So at this point do we know if its a clear title or a salvage title? I have no problems with state reissued vin numbers like I mentioned in your other thread, if they are on a clear title, but salvage may be another story. Combine that with the new found rust in the frame, and it may be time to walk on this one. Make sure whoever goes over the car for you knows C3 vettes like the back of their hand, could be more rust hidden in that car under that pretty body. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 PM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c69vete
If someone was looking at the serial number on the frame over the rear wheel with a mirror, It would be very easy to have put the 9 down as a 6.
My last vette and my present vette both had miss typed numbers,was a easy fix.Make sure you have the car chequed by someone you trust,and I agree "Drive it like you stole it!" Have fun.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by John 65
So at this point do we know if its a clear title or a salvage title? I have no problems with state reissued vin numbers like I mentioned in your other thread, if they are on a clear title, but salvage may be another story. Combine that with the new found rust in the frame, and it may be time to walk on this one. Make sure whoever goes over the car for you knows C3 vettes like the back of their hand, could be more rust hidden in that car under that pretty body. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply.
The title is clean and clear. The car has been in the family since the late '70's. They purchased it from their nephew in 1983 and began the restoration a few years after that. They assured me it has never been a salvage car and it has been insured ever since they have owned it.
I'm working on finding someone with experience to go with me to inspect it after the frame is repaired.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by c69vete
Originally Posted by mad pad house
My last vette and my present vette both had miss typed numbers,was a easy fix.Make sure you have the car chequed by someone you trust,and I agree "Drive it like you stole it!" Have fun.
Thank you both for the reassurances. Although I do very much appreciate all the 'warning' and 'walk away' replies, it is nice to finally have someone else feel the way I do. If the current VIN situation has been good enough for the Missouri State police, the Missouri DMV, and for State Farm insurance, it should be good enough for me (and any future buyer looking for a driver quality '69, should I decide to sell her in the future).
From the beginning this car has only been represented as a good condition, driver quality, non original, '69 corvette. Nothing more.
The only deal breaker for me now will be the condition of the frame and birdcage should they show extensive rust under further professional inspection.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me value this '69 please.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 PM
1955pirate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette

in reality its an old Chevy and its worth what some one will pay, that's all, no more or less.
Most of the comments here are good and should be of help to the potential buyer. The one comment I disagree with is that it is just "an old Chevy." It is not just an old Chevy...it is a Corvette. Great deal of difference.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

[QUOTE=oldschoolvette;1584027721in reality its an old Chevy and its worth what some one will pay, that's all, no more or less[/QUOTE]

Forget the old Chevy part. ANY car is NOT worth what "some one" will pay for it...it is worth what MANY people will pay for it. That is why it is important for a seller to market the car to as many people as possible. Telling good old Joe Six Pack down the street that you want to sell your car...and then he shoots you a good guy low ball offer...is not an accurate indicator of what the car is actually worth. Neither is advertising a car for sale only on the Corvette Forum.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

To the OP:

If you are having heartburn over this car and it's VIN plate...the issue will not go away over time. After you have poured a ton of additional money into this car...and when (not if) you are trying to sell it...because it will be sold again, eventually...these very same issues will rise again to the surface. Think about it.

Quick Reply: Help me value this '69 please.