Sponsored by:

1970 Stingray Vert Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:59 PM
RedWing1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1970 Stingray Vert Question

I need some help. My wife owns a 1970 Black/black Stingray Convertible, we just did over $15K worth of work on the car and dropped a new 430HP 2012 engine into it to include new side pipe exhaust. The new engine has less than 500 miles on it and it runs great and sounds better. Problem is it sits in the garage and she just doesn't use it.

She now wants to sell the bad boy but we have no idea what to ask. Any ideas before I put it on the market? I'm thinking 35-40K. I can send pictures if there is any interest.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Post the pix, ask 40K and see what happens. Original survivor big block convertible 70's are starting to bring some nice coin. They say there is a butt for every seat, go for it and see if "they" are right. Good luck.
ps your wife doesn't want a Prius does she?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM
RedWing1
Advanced

Originally Posted by radiotexas
Post the pix, ask 40K and see what happens. Original survivor big block convertible 70's are starting to bring some nice coin. They say there is a butt for every seat, go for it and see if "they" are right. Good luck.
ps your wife doesn't want a Prius does she?
No sorry mate, I'm selling a CTS-V and she's selling the Stingray to make room in our garage.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Just build a bigger garage, you'll never regret it.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by radiotexas
Post the pix, ask 40K and see what happens. Original survivor big block convertible 70's are starting to bring some nice coin.
He's selling a car with both a color change, sidepipe addition and an engine change.

I'm guessing "original survivor" comparisons are pretty far off.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM
radiotexas
Racer

You be guessing right. A few bumper cars with similar mods did okay at the auctions this year, but not over the top. I think his best chance is to find a younger buyer who really likes the 70 convert look, but who wants a lot more performance. I'm still running the original starter, alt., water pump, carb, radiator, 4-sp trans and of course motor on my 70 convert. big block. The starter and carb have been rebuilt, so it's breath holding time on the alt, water pump and radiator. Have you seen how high original big block correct date q-jets are going for? It's insane, wish I had a shelf full of them. Nice talking with you, vettebuyer5869
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
He's selling a car with both a color change, sidepipe addition and an engine change.

I'm guessing "original survivor" comparisons are pretty far off.

IMHO 40 is way out of the park, 35 is too high even, if it needs nothing, and I mean not even a lock **** I would think high 20's.
Stock and completely original would probably bring mid 30's.

Am I off base here? Not knocking the ride, I am sure it is spectacular. Its just the market around here wouldn't bear that I dont think. YMMV.

someone said build a bigger garage. I agree. I would drive this thing like I stole it. it sounds like a fun ride.

Throw it up for 40K and if you hear crickets, bring it down a bit at a time. CL is free!

Last edited by jnealg; 05-29-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 AM
RedWing1
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback gents. I'm putting it on the local corner lot for $30K OBO based on all your input. Might be a tad high but coming down is easier than going up.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 Stingray Vert Question

Quick Reply: 1970 Stingray Vert Question