Sponsored by:

Insurance quandry

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:21 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance quandry

I am curious as to what insurance company most of you use to insure your classics and to what coverage extent. I am most interested in "replacement cost" numbers and how value is determined and its' relationship to policy premiums. Would also like to know if any have used to policy for pay outs because of accidents or theft and if you were satisfied. I have a number in my head for the "cost" of restoration (backed by receipts) for an '82, but am wondering if I can obtain a coverage policy to cover if an accident or thieft occurs. Thank you in advance for any replies.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion18z
I am curious as to what insurance company most of you use to insure your classics and to what coverage extent. I am most interested in "replacement cost" numbers and how value is determined and its' relationship to policy premiums. Would also like to know if any have used to policy for pay outs because of accidents or theft and if you were satisfied. I have a number in my head for the "cost" of restoration (backed by receipts) for an '82, but am wondering if I can obtain a coverage policy to cover if an accident or thieft occurs. Thank you in advance for any replies.
I have my 80' insured with Hagerty for an "agreed value" of $25,000. I have full coverage on it and registered as "Historic".
Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 PM
morleyz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Hagerty and have an agreed value policy. Basically what this means is that in a total loss, I should get a check in the amount of the agreed value. Fortunately I haven't had to test it, so I can't comment beyond that.

Without an agreed value policy, you're likely looking at somewhere around blue book value in a total loss.

If your car is not a daily driver, you'll find agreed value policies are relatively affordable. Just be careful of the restrictions of the policies...for example, Hagerty requires the car be kept in a locked garage.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

If we are talking about collector car insurance they will want an "agreed value" from you.

The policy premium follows the agreed value fairly closely. You have a base premium to cover liability, and then a variable premium for the agreed value.

What should your agreed value be? Well, your restoration cost or how much you paid for the car isn't relevant. The agreed value you should ask for is the amount of money it will take to buy a comparable car at short notice.

Look at for sale ads and find cars that are close to yours. "Short notice" = not much time to haggle/work on the seller, so their asking price would be about what you'd pay for their car.

So for insurance reasons, that's the agreed value you request.

Insurance is all about getting you back to a pre-loss state. If you have a total loss, they will give you enough money to buy a car (in the current market, on short notice) as close as possible to your one.

If your car is close to stock, the online value guides will be a good reference point.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts

I have a $60K agreed value collector car policy. There is a 3000 mile annual limit and locked garage condition. I also cannot leave the car unattended while pleasure driving...such as in a parking lot. Then again, the premium is less than $400 per year.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a $30K agreed value through Adam Boca at NCM with 6000 miles for $313/yr. I live in a suburb of Chicago so my rates are affected by my location.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The garage condition excludes many, at least those that tell the truth.

So make sure any policy you look at will work for you.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Crush2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default anyone done comparisons?

Originally Posted by Marlin
The garage condition excludes many, at least those that tell the truth.

So make sure any policy you look at will work for you.
Has anyone compiled research (like in a simple spreadsheet) on the coverages and limitations/restrictions of the various collector car insurance policies? Sure would be nice!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you talked to your regular insurance agent? They might work a deal with you.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 PM
63vette427
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used my regular insurance company for mine. I have no limits on when and where i drive. They use book value for a complete lose. I pay just over $300 for full coverage. I worried too much about using one of the collector insurance companies. They seemed to want to limit my use and i like the freedom to drive..
Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 63vette427
I used my regular insurance company for mine. I have no limits on when and where i drive. They use book value for a complete lose. I pay just over $300 for full coverage. I worried too much about using one of the collector insurance companies. They seemed to want to limit my use and i like the freedom to drive..
I do the same but pay a little more than you (my wife insists on very high coverage), and can drive my Vette anytime and anywhere I want
Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM
jvette2
Pro

I have all three of my cars insured with Adam at the Corvette Museum and I could not find anyone that could come close to the rate Adam quoted me. Agreed upon value, great service and all for under 600.00 per year.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

If the actual worth of your car is much greater than the Black Book value of it (average wholesale for that model year car), you definitely want to insure it with a company that provides "Agreed Value" coverage. Many 'regular' insurance companies have weasel-words that lead you to believe they have agreed value coverage, without using those words. But, if you suffer a total loss, you likely won't get full coverage to that value with those companies.

Hagerty and other "collector car" insurers provide "Agreed Value" coverage at reasonable cost--providing you only use the car for purposes listed in the policy, for the miles/year covered, and that you store it inside (garage, closed building, etc) when not being used.

You can likely set an Agreed Value that is significantly higher than your car's actual worth; but you will be paying a proportionally higher premium in order to get that level of coverage. My suggestion is to keep the agreed value to no more than 20% higher than what it would take to completely replace that vehicle to a "same condition" replacement. Otherwise, you are just throwing money away at your insurance premiums.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

State Farm, with stated value.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Stated value is much different from agreed value. Stated value is simply what you think it's worth. The insurance company probably won't agree.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 AM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Raphiki
Stated value is much different from agreed value. Stated value is simply what you think it's worth. The insurance company probably won't agree.
Be careful with "regular" insurance for an older Corvette, or any collector car.

My friend rear ended a car with his '68 Rivera - totally his fault. Insured by Hagerty. They paid to completely fix his car, no questions asked, and took care of the other car. The Buick needed some hard to find parts, and Hagerty helped him locate the parts. NO DEDUCTIBLE.

I have Hagerty, no real mileage limits. Require a locked garage. Must have proof of a registered/insured vehicle for every driver in household - not counting the one they insure.

Pete
Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
Be careful with "regular" insurance for an older Corvette, or any collector car.

My friend rear ended a car with his '68 Rivera - totally his fault. Insured by Hagerty. They paid to completely fix his car, no questions asked, and took care of the other car. The Buick needed some hard to find parts, and Hagerty helped him locate the parts. NO DEDUCTIBLE.

I have Hagerty, no real mileage limits. Require a locked garage. Must have proof of a registered/insured vehicle for every driver in household - not counting the one they insure.

Pete
Yes but do they tell you when you can drive your car?

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance quandry

Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hagerty refused to cover me after many questions about expected use. I had just bought a 1974 coupe and told them I planned to drive it to work on sunny Fridays and on the weekends for pleasure with my wife. I told them I did not plan on attending car shows, etc. I stated that I would probably drive about 100 miles a week max. They refused to cover me because they said I was going to drive it too much. Yes, I do have a locked garage and am 55 years old.

I bought the car to drive it, not so it can sit in my garage. Hagerty can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned. I insured with my regular carrier.

John
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LudemJo
Hagerty refused to cover me after many questions about expected use. I had just bought a 1974 coupe and told them I planned to drive it to work on sunny Fridays and on the weekends for pleasure with my wife. I told them I did not plan on attending car shows, etc. I stated that I would probably drive about 100 miles a week max. They refused to cover me because they said I was going to drive it too much. Yes, I do have a locked garage and am 55 years old.

I bought the car to drive it, not so it can sit in my garage. Hagerty can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned. I insured with my regular carrier.

John
Thank you, that's my point (well most of it anyway ), what the hell good are our cars if we can't drive them when we want. While I do enjoy working on my car, making her better/newer, I enjoy driving her more and like to drive to work, to the store or just for a joy ride. With these "collector car" insurance company they pretty much want you to leave it in your locked garage (and I too have a locked garage), and polish it, what the hell good is that - for ME, it serves no purpose!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Joebrick
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm using Grundy which is actually the Phildelphia Insurance Company. $29,000 agreed value for about $260yr. in the metro Atlanta area. Locked garage, no mileage limits. Problem with some of this is that unless you need them, you're not really sure how good they will be unless a claim is made. I have no idea how that will go.

Quick Reply: Insurance quandry