Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Corvette America

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
ibeeskeef
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2013
Default need the keen eyes on this board

I have been skimming CL for a C3 and found one that seems interesting.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3802505748.html

I talked to the guy who posted the add and he is selling the car for his son who is out of town. The add seems to show a pretty stock 74 under the hood with a few changes to the interior. The seller states all numbers are matching. The engine is advertised as overhauled in 2006 and the seller states this was a complete tear down and rebuild of the original 350 by a professional shop but his son has all of the details. He states the headlights and all gauges still work but I will believe that when I see it. The paint is original so I am sure it will show some wear but the pics appear to be in pretty good shape. I have requested more pics but the ones one CL are all that are available until next week when his son returns.

Edit* - seller states car has 78k original miles on it.

My budget is right at $10k and this one is close enough to my home to check out. Any experts on this board see a reason to run from this deal or is it worth checking out based on the CL post and pics? Also, if there are any Charlotte natives that want to give it a look over and let me know what they find it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by ibeeskeef; 05-22-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: add mileage
ibeeskeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
SuperBuickGuy
CF Senior Member

 
SuperBuickGuy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: Woodinville WA
Default

nice car.... check the normal stuff:
rust in the birdcage
suspension bits tired or worn (sounds like it had a motor upgrade, and cosmetic restore but no suspension restoration)
at 10k, I'd take it to a shop that has C3 experience and get them to opinine on the car (especially the suspension parts MOST especially the trailing arms and bearings) - then, if they miss something big, you have their pockets to pick to pay for the repairs.

with that said (that's general stuff)

I HATE sellers selling for someone else "who's out of town" - while they can be honest (even on Craigslist), most times it's to hide a flaw - plausible deniability. While the person may be out of town, make the sale conditional upon you talking directly to him via phone or (even better) skype.
SuperBuickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
ParisTNDude
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Paris TN
Default

Very nice looking Vette. I would put this thing on a lift and check everything from the bottom up. If it truly has only 78K miles, it should show some wear on the suspension unless it's been restored underneath, but at $10k if there's no serious oil leaks, rusted frame pieces etc, etc...I would buy it and plan on replacing the usual items. I love that year Vette and this one is a good example.
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Easy Mike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Default

My .02: high. The only real question is whether you want this 74 and the changes made to it.

Good luck.

Easy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
F22
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Palmdale CA
Default

Nice looking Corvette. Seats look good and it's a four speed car. Looks like an aftermarket A/C compressor, check to make sure it works lile it should. I agree, get it inspected, but what would be an item of concern, would be how the drivetrain 'feels'. Two reasons, first, it's the "Son's" car (who happens to be out of town, and like SuperBuickGuy, makes me wonder...) and secondly, the engine has been covered with every SBC and bowtie emblem, known to man. Definitely an Ego driven young guy, who may have had this car gifted to him, by Dad and may have gotten a lot of tickets on it. Why else, would Dad be selling it for him?

Personally, I shy away from Corvettes that have boy-racer stripes, excess emblems and other aggrandizements applied and though, the exterior doesn't have this, the interior and engine compartment do. If it passes careful inspection and drives nice, then by all means, consider it, but from what I see, I'd be cautious.
F22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
ibeeskeef
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mike View Post
My .02: high. The only real question is whether you want this 74 and the changes made to it.

Good luck.

I was planning to offer $9500 if the car checked out as well as stated on the phone. What would you say was a fair price if you think $10.5 is too high? Granted I haven't been looking forever but I have been on the lookout pretty heavily for a month or two and this one seems to be priced in the range of a 74 in good shape that would sell.
ibeeskeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
ibeeskeef
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
Nice looking Corvette. Seats look good and it's a four speed car. Looks like an aftermarket A/C compressor, check to make sure it works lile it should. I agree, get it inspected, but what would be an item of concern, would be how the drivetrain 'feels'. Two reasons, first, it's the "Son's" car (who happens to be out of town, and like SuperBuickGuy, makes me wonder...) and secondly, the engine has been covered with every SBC and bowtie emblem, known to man. Definitely an Ego driven young guy, who may have had this car gifted to him, by Dad and may have gotten a lot of tickets on it. Why else, would Dad be selling it for him?

Personally, I shy away from Corvettes that have boy-racer stripes, excess emblems and other aggrandizements applied and though, the exterior doesn't have this, the interior and engine compartment do. If it passes careful inspection and drives nice, then by all means, consider it, but from what I see, I'd be cautious.


thanks for the input so far. Let me clarify a few more items.

The father selling the car for his son sounded to be in his 60's roughly. He stated his son is away on business a lot and he is retired so he can return texts and calls much more quickly than his son. He did state his son is selling the car because he got married a few years ago and is currently building a house and wants the funds to use toward the house build. The son isn't a 16 yr old who was pounding on the car in high school drivers ed or something like that. The father did tell me his son would be home next week and I would definitely speak directly to him before making the trip to inspect. It sounds like the son either did most of the work himself or had it done.

I am a litte skeptical that everything works like the father states. I have not seen many (if any) for sale in this price range that have everything working including headlights, a/c, gauges, etc.
ibeeskeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
BFI
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Holts Summit MO.
Default

Not stock under the hood. Not even remotely close to numbers match car. Does that matter? No, not if that doesn't matter to the buyer. Yes it does if the seller is using that to inflate the price of the car. Inspect the care carefully yourself, don't get emotionally attached to the car (there are plenty of others out there) Make and use a check list! If you still like the car have someone else that is knowledgeable check it out. If that checks out insist to talk to THE owner. Why do other people have to sell a car for someone? There might be a good reason, its just might be a red flag though. Be cautious don't let your dream become a nightmare.
BFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
ibeeskeef
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFI View Post
Not stock under the hood. Not even remotely close to numbers match car. Does that matter? No, not if that doesn't matter to the buyer. Yes it does if the seller is using that to inflate the price of the car. Inspect the care carefully yourself, don't get emotionally attached to the car (there are plenty of others out there) Make and use a check list! If you still like the car have someone else that is knowledgeable check it out. If that checks out insist to talk to THE owner. Why do other people have to sell a car for someone? There might be a good reason, its just might be a red flag though. Be cautious don't let your dream become a nightmare.
I know the engine had work done but it looked to me to be the original (with extra emblems added) based on what I could see in the picture listed and the seller states it is a numbers matching car. I am far from an expert so what are you seeing that says it is not a numbers matching car?
ibeeskeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Vettebuyer5869
Moderator

 
Vettebuyer5869's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: About 1100 miles from home. (The World Champs)
Default

It sounds like BFI is using a very general interpretation for "numbers matching" terminology.

The ONLY thing that determines if the engine is numbers matching is whether the VIN derivative on the pad MATCHES the VIN of the car. Of course the block number and assy date would need to be correct, otherwise it would be a poor restamp.

However all the other bolt on and non VIN marked parts have ZERO to do with whether the car is " numbers matching."
Vettebuyer5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Mike Ward
CF Senior Member
 
Mike Ward's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: about an hour away from Paul74 in Ontariariario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeskeef View Post
I know the engine had work done but it looked to me to be the original (with extra emblems added) based on what I could see in the picture listed and the seller states it is a numbers matching car. I am far from an expert so what are you seeing that says it is not a numbers matching car?
I see NOTHING under the hood that looks stock or original- valve covers, intake manifold, carb, distributor, air cleaner, alternator, A/C compressor, fuel line, PVC system, smog system, etc etc.

'Overhauled' engines usually means a 'decked block' which wipes out all identification numbers. The ad has no pics or any mention of the stamp pad.

Why do you believe that this is a numbers matching car?
Mike Ward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Easy Mike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeskeef View Post
...What would you say was a fair price if you think $10.5 is too high...
Can't actually help and "fair" is not applicable here. He is wanting to sell; you are wanting to buy. Simple as that. I almost never have an interest in a modified car unless the owner has not gone too far with it and the asking price is otherwise reasonable. At $10,500 you are buying his changes. I don't see anything wrong with your intended offer, but that is entirely up to you.

Keep looking and you might possibly find more car for your $10.5K.


Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-22-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Easy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
ibeeskeef
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2013
Default

First, I was told it was numbers matching over the telephone by the seller. The add does not mention it.

I think the hang up may be my definition of "numbers matching." The engine was totally rebuilt in 2006 and the add states other systems were worked on a well. I would expect new parts like you mentioned above. My definition of "numbers matching" is being able to verify the VIN of the car matches the stamp on the block. I do realize it is not 100% original under the hood and at my price range that is ok. I don't have a huge stash to drop on a resto so I am wiling to give ground in order to have a good running machine.
ibeeskeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
SuperBuickGuy
CF Senior Member

 
SuperBuickGuy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: Woodinville WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeskeef View Post
First, I was told it was numbers matching over the telephone by the seller. The add does not mention it.

I think the hang up may be my definition of "numbers matching." The engine was totally rebuilt in 2006 and the add states other systems were worked on a well. I would expect new parts like you mentioned above. My definition of "numbers matching" is being able to verify the VIN of the car matches the stamp on the block. I do realize it is not 100% original under the hood and at my price range that is ok. I don't have a huge stash to drop on a resto so I am wiling to give ground in order to have a good running machine.
frame this under my own viewpoint - which is there's nothing worth saving in a 70s engine compartment - so numbers matching would actually make me reconsider my desire to purchase the car.

the only thing I get from the numbers matching comment is that the guy knows little about Corvettes in general and specifically this 'vette.

Again, it's a nice looking car, otherwise you wouldn't be asking here for what to look at and I stand by my statement to look for rust and wear.

I tend to make 70-90% of my buying decision based upon whether or not I trust the seller (and the price I'm willing to offer). With that said:
I presume they didn't rewire the car entirely with red wire, that the work done looks like it was done with care, and that the car drives fine (no clunks, scrapes, smoke, odd smells). This car seems to pass that test. Because he knows nothing about the car, plan on spending some time putting the car up on jackstands to look for rust in the normal places and for care in the places that are hard to care for (e.g. tons of grease down the transmission tunnel).
SuperBuickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
68sbShark
CF Senior Member
 
68sbShark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Glenview IL
Default

For what it is worth, i got my 68 (327/350hp) about 6 years ago for $8200. Mostly original, unmolested car.

Things that were missing were the carpet, original exhaust (had hooker side exhaust), and all smog equipment. Other than that, pretty original. Have since gone through the entire suspension, steering, and most recently I rebuilt the 4speed.

Point being that you can still get good, more original cars out there if you are patient. I waited for a few years while I searched for 'my car'. If this is the one for you and are happy with the price, I say go for it. If you have doubts about it, then hold off and you will find 'your car' and have no regrets.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

~Rich
68sbShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Camivette
CF Senior Member
 
Camivette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Location: Austell Georgia
Default

ibee

Where are you located and whee in Charlotte is the car located? I happen to be in Charlotte on business til Fri and if it's not to far I could check it out and see what price range they are really selling at.
Camivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
oldalaskaman
CF Senior Member

 
oldalaskaman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2010
Default

I like it and the price, there's lots worse with higher prices, comparatively...even on this forum. It would be an excellent driver and an easy restore if thats what you're interested in
oldalaskaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
joewill
CF Senior Member
 
joewill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Noblesville Indiana
Default

I personally would run away from a seller that is not the owner. How is junior going to sign the title when you buy it? I will bet the owner on the title has a different last name than the guy you are talking to. ask to see the title and discuss how the transaction will take place.

have a detailed discussion with him about his definition of "all matching numbers" . the seller and buyer rarely agree.

above all look for rust.. that is the major deal killer .

With the car at 10K it really does not matter if the engine is original. The condition overall is what is important... unless it is a rare car, which will skew the market more.
joewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
Mike Ward
CF Senior Member
 
Mike Ward's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: about an hour away from Paul74 in Ontariariario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeskeef View Post
The engine was totally rebuilt in 2006 and the add states other systems were worked on a well. ...... My definition of "numbers matching" is being able to verify the VIN of the car matches the stamp on the block.
So ask the seller for a clear close up picture of the stamp pad. My guess is there's a pretty good chance that it's gone. I also think that this engine is a pig in a poke given the variety of aftermarket stuff on it.
Mike Ward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
qwank
CF Senior Member

 
qwank's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Southern NH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewill View Post
I personally would run away from a seller that is not the owner. How is junior going to sign the title when you buy it? I will bet the owner on the title has a different last name than the guy you are talking to. ask to see the title and discuss how the transaction will take place.


the seller is totally flipping the car and using the son story as an excuse. the title is probably signed by the PO but the buyer line is blank. people do this so they don't have to pay taxes and title fees on the cars they buy and sell. If you have an issue at the registry, it can turn into a nightmare.

and the price is too high for all the aftermarket junk in the car
qwank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page need the keen eyes on this board
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2