C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carpet vs spray in liner (put on flame proof pants)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Blame
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carpet vs spray in liner (put on flame proof pants)

Has anyone thought about replacing the carpet and doing a spray in liner?

I been chewing on this for a while. My game plan if i can see if it been done is get aluminum sheet metal (that i can mold to fit) to cover up the spot where the wires run thru then get like rhino spray in liner to cover every spot where carpet is touching.

Is this a pipe dream or somewhat of a good idea? And sorry if this wasted your time that you will never get back.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I can say, with 100% truth and honesty, that the idea NEVER, ever, occurred to me. Never in a million years would I have even thought to consider even thinking about doing this to the floor of my Corvette. Not even in a drunken stouper. Never. Ever.

I think that pretty well answers your question and sums up my thoughts on this irreversible modification...

Honestly...I'm all about thinking outside the box. As well as asking questions. Personally, I wouldn't consider it unless it was a mud bog truck or a total piece of crap. I'm just messing with you above. I wouldn't do it unless it was, for some reason, a last resort.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Blame
Pro

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I can say, with 100% truth and honesty, that the idea NEVER, ever, occurred to me. Never in a million years would I have even thought to consider even thinking about doing this to the floor of my Corvette. Not even in a drunken stouper. Never. Ever.

I think that pretty well answers your question and sums up my thoughts on this irreversible modification...

Honestly...I'm all about thinking outside the box. As well as asking questions. Personally, I wouldn't consider it unless it was a mud bog truck or a total piece of crap. I'm just messing with you above. I wouldn't do it unless it was, for some reason, a last resort.
Will that kill the idea. But i do still plan on putting in the sheet metal in the center and then adding carpet to it. What i got now is card board with glue on carpet.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Blame,
I give you credit for thinking it up.
I give you even more credit for getting other opinions!
Regards,
Alan

A few weeks ago there was a picture of a car that I swear had bathroom rugs cut up in it.
Your idea is better than that.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Blame
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Blame,
I give you credit for thinking it up.
I give you even more credit for getting other opinions!
Regards,
Alan
Been told it best to look before you leap. Thought i try it out this time.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
spinadog
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My thought would be sound proofing. I could not believe how noisy my car was without carpet. When I reinstalled, I insulated the back area - glad I did. Food for thought if you plan on the spray-in liner. You could sandwich insulation between the sheet metal.

I personally would not do it. Not in place of a $250 carpet kit.

Love to see pics if you do.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Blame
Pro

Originally Posted by spinadog
My thought would be sound proofing. I could not believe how noisy my car was without carpet. When I reinstalled, I insulated the back area - glad I did. Food for thought if you plan on the spray-in liner. You could sandwich insulation between the sheet metal.

I personally would not do it. Not in place of a $250 carpet kit.

Love to see pics if you do.
I may just put the liner down then put carpet over it. But the more and more i think about not having a rug the more im hating the idea. Now im wondering spary in liner vs fat mat.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

only if it is 4 wheel drive
Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

lately i've been thinking about jerking the carpet out of my car, and putting several inches of rich top soil in it's place, then of course seeding it with a nice fescue grass seed (for shaded areas of course), and then perhaps a small, automated sprinkler system.....still mulling it over of course.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I wouldn't use the bed liner either.......but if you were building a road race themed car no carpet could have it's place.
You could use something like this coating called Zolatone.
http://www.zolatone.com/home/

That's what Pure Vision used on George Poteet's NASCAR themed Charger.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/f...dodge_charger/
Again I'm not telling you to do it I'm just giving you an idea of what it could look like.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:43 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My son did that in his Jeep. Looks good in that vehicle but it would not look good in a Vette.

Rick B.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
My son did that in his Jeep. Looks good in that vehicle but it would not look good in a Vette.

Rick B.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Most C3s have some sort of factory applied soundeadener/insulation under the carpets, especially the metal floor cars. My advice would be to leave the factory stuff in place and use Reflectix or similar over it. You can spend big money on hyped up speciality products for this purpose when something as simple as Reflectix is all you honestly need.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by razman
lately i've been thinking about jerking the carpet out of my car, and putting several inches of rich top soil in it's place, then of course seeding it with a nice fescue grass seed (for shaded areas of course), and then perhaps a small, automated sprinkler system.....still mulling it over of course.
Love it! Dont forget the Scotts Turfbuilder with crabgrass preventer
Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 PM
beautimus
Advanced

have you seen the inside of a Ferrari f50 ? if you have ever seen the black vinyl stuff that they put on stair treads in commercial building stair wells , that's what they have inside. it aint pretty.
as far as the bed liner stuff, a lot of the street rod crowd is doing that to the inside of their cars because (depending on brand) it can be seam sealer, sound deadener, and insulation in one go. also the off road guys are doing jeeps and such because it cleans up with a garden hose, and doesn't require as much prep work as paint.
I had the inside of the cab of my 71 chevy truck done in a red rubberized coating, for that reason, it tuff, durable, and hose it off and it looks good. but , I probably wont do that to the vette, I don't see an advantage. it might be cool in a track car but for a driver, I think I like carpet. then again, the cargo area behind the seats, that's a possibility.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Do it!! I've been wanting to do the same for years now but would like to see pics before I make the leap!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 AM
beautimus
Advanced

ok, I was drinking a soda when I read that. now my nose is burning, my whole desk top is wet and my monitor screen is dripping. lol
dr. pepper burns when it is squirting through your nose.

Get notified of new replies

To carpet vs spray in liner (put on flame proof pants)

Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 AM
yellowC3
Instructor

not that anyone will have an ounce of give-a-dam, the spray on bedliner stuff is really not thick, its actually very thin with a very slight texture. Ironically, I just got done installing floors and put a coat of this stuff down for protection , to be underneath the new carpet of course, probably would make more sense to put on the bottom side when all said and done. I don't see any harm , it will seat and keep the new sheet metal out of the elements. 2 cent.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by beautimus
have you seen the inside of a Ferrari f50 ? ....
No. That is on the bucket list.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Blame
Pro

I could alway do the liner the fat mat the carpet. Might add more weigh where i need it

Quick Reply: carpet vs spray in liner (put on flame proof pants)