Tiny garage here!

The complete thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...long-post.html
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about no garage?

I did not pull the body off however, but everything else save the engine drop happened right in the back yard.

It can be done.

You can do it.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did my frame-off in a single car attached garage. My biggest problem was finding a place for all of the parts as they came off the car. I erected extra pine shelves on one side of the garage. That helped. I put parts in the 8 X 16 garden shed. That helped. I put parts in the crawl space. That helped. When the body was lifted I placed it in one of those zippered up car tents. That helped a lot. After the chassis rebuilt was completed, I would roll the body out of the car tent and do the fiberglass repairs; then push it back inside and zipped it up to keep the body out of the elements. This past winter we had a rare snow fall of about 4". I was working two back-to-back double shifts so I didn't get home for three days. On my last day before I got home it started to rain and the weight of the wet snow collapsed the car tent. Nothing was damaged because I had already separated the body parts. Unfortunately I had to move the front and rear clips into the garage; gently placing them on my beautifully restored chassis. Now I have no room to work on my car.

So... I can't let my restoration grind to a halt because of something so minor as no space to work on it, so we're buying a new house. The restoration is on hold temporarily until we move, hopefully by the summer. The three houses we're looking at each have large garages, plus of course extra rooms in the house for the wife. That makes us both happy. If the car tent hadn't collapsed, we'd still be here and I'd still be working on my restoration out of a single car garage. We were looking for an excuse to move, the Corvette gave it to us. I love that car!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I already showed my wife examples of houses with large garages. She told me that she like the one with the detached garage and asked if it had bedroom!

Today i drew up a scaled drawing of my garage, the body and the frame...it will fit but i will need it all on castors to move around. All of the extra stuff in the garage, bikes, golf clubs, rug cleaner, etc has got to move to storage.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

Here is a layout for my garage ... it will be tight but it will fit. Eventually, I may be able to move the frame out of the garage when I strip the body and do some fiberglass repair.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

Each of the grid squares is 2x2 feet.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b,
From your drawing and dimensions it appears the length is going to be more of a limiting factor than the width; a 19' bay is quite shallow.
The addition length I had allowed me to move the 2 parts forward and rearward to gain work room.
I think I would come up with a system that allowed me to easily move the body out of the garage to work on the chassis and then move it back in at the end of the day. On a dolly with large rubber tires a body is easy to move by one person.
I spent a lot of time figuring out how to do it in the space available and working by myself.
Regards,
Alan

In this picture you can see the chassis is on dollies too. I had to be able to move it sideways as well as forward and backward. For a long time, (years), the chassis was on jack-stands which were sitting on dollies. Note the body is now off the tall dolly and sitting on a low dolly.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM
bwinterstine
Racer

I agree ... body on a rolling/low dolly will probably be needed and I'll keep it covered so I can put it out when it's raining if necessary. I live in a commuinty that controls any modifications to the homes/yards. Right now, I have a request to add a 2nd car to the one car driveway. That will really help if I could roll out the chasis or body and swap them around without having to do it in the street.

On your other body dolly, was the body only resting on the floor pans? I can see on the low dolly that it is resting at the body mount points.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi B,
Yes, on the tall dolly the body sat on the square formed by the dolly's top 4 pieces.
With a coupe that has a front clip that's still well bonded to the cowl and aprons, sagging isn't a problem.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

Started working through the body removal checklist today. Removed the 8 rear bumper support bolts, no problem. But, the driver side had about 3/4 inch of extra shims. Passenger side had only two shim plates. Driver side had 3 shim plates and an extra 3 shims placed diagonally on two of the bolts. I guess something is bent some where. It appears that the bumper may have been off recently, the bolts came out really easy.

Disconnected: Starter cable/wires, Carbon Canister, Oil Pressure Wire, Parking brake cable, Battery ground to frame, Shifter cable and down shift wire, Speedo cable.

Question: the checklist says I need to disconnect the seat belt retainer cable from the frame to the bottom of seat. I don't see anything like this on my car. From underneath, I see a large bolt on both sides under the seat but it connects to a rotted piece of metal that doesn't appear to be connected to the frame. Anyone have a picture of these bolts?

Here's a pic of the driver side bumper bracket shims I talked about ...

Old 06-01-2013, 05:51 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

I've made some progress dismantling the car and getting ready to lift off the body. Rear bumper frame disconnected, all the wires, hoses and brake lines also. Front bumper, supports, radiator and frame, headlight assemblies (pain!!!), seats (rusted tracks so PAIN!!!). A previous repair to the fiberglass around the right side headlight failed so I'm going to put a "splint" on it before I remove the body. Also, I decided to add a little support to the front using some angle iron I had laying around....just some insurance since there is no support for the front end. 6 Hours dealing with 38 years of rust, dirt, antifreeze and just a little tranny fluid. Love it!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:37 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I was going to tell you to send denpo a PM for pictures of his garage. The picture he posted makes it look way bigger than it really is.
IT really goes to the old saying-,"Where there's a will, there's a way".
Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 AM
bwinterstine
Racer

I agree. When I saw the other posts of restorations outside without even a small garage I decided not to worry about my "small" garage. But, the extra space of the rented storage unit is coming in handy ... I have another load of parts and pieces to take over today.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My garage has a decently tall ceiling but is very narrow. We pulled the body off, and while it was hanging from the chain hoist we built the frame for it to rest on. There was enough room to wheel the chassis underneath (barely). Most of the work on the car was done in the driveway to the great amusement of the neighbors.

Rick B.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM
dunit2myself
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good inspirational thread, you guys have done some nice work with limited space. I do not feel so cramped now in my old steel sided pole shed ~14x30 with 12' or better ceiling. I better quit looking now before I decide to remove the body from frame.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM
bwinterstine
Racer

Go for it ... you need to see your vette from the inside out to really appreciate it (from a guy who hasn't even driven his yet).
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 AM
bwinterstine
Racer

Rick B>>> It looks like the lifting straps you used were pretty thin ... how'd they hold up and where did you buy them? Have any more pictures of where you attached them? I'll be using an engine cherry picker to lift off my body ... soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Small Garage Restoration

Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi B,
I restored my 71 in a garage in my basement. It's about 14' wide and only about 7'-6" high.
I built a tall dolly to put the body on after I lifted it. This allowed me to work next to the body while I restored the chassis and running gear.
I would push the dolly forward and backward to gain access to the chassis as I worked on it. If you'll notice the front clip and rear clip were unsupported so I could work on the chassis sitting on a rolling stool.
Jig's list is very good. BAG & MARK EVERYTHING. There will be an incredible amount of small parts and fasteners. A boxing/bagging system is the only hope you have of finding what you need when you need it.
Regards,
Alan

LOL...my doctors office examination room is NOT that freakin clean.....
Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bwinterstine
Rick B>>> It looks like the lifting straps you used were pretty thin ... how'd they hold up and where did you buy them? Have any more pictures of where you attached them? I'll be using an engine cherry picker to lift off my body ... soon.
The straps were regular home store ratcheting straps. I forget what the weight rating is but the Vette body isn't all that heavy - maybe 1,000 lbs. I hooked them to the rocker panels where the notches are. My son didn't unbolt the rear bumper reinforcements the first time we tried lifting the body and the beam that the chain hoist was secured to cracked since we were lifting the entire car. (memo to self-remind him of that forever). The straps survived that. I used a 1 ton chain hoist.

I certainly don't recommend my risky behaviour and would recommend buying the super heavy and expensive body lift straps from a vendor.

Rick B.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
Most of the work on the car was done in the driveway to the great amusement of the neighbors.
Lucky you are to have a driveway. I just have a steep ramp that directly lead to a busy downtown street. That car have seen the sun twice in 3 years.

Those pic may give you a better idea of how small it is :

And a pic of my worst moment, there was probably more corvette material than breathing air in the garage.

Add to that the fact the garage is also where we store many other kind of stuff. Winter is the worst, I have to deal with the garden furniture.
Of course the seats are in my computer/electronic room, along with the door glasses.
My terrasse is loaded with body parts, and there a rear clip in my tiny garden.

Quick Reply: Small Garage Restoration