Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Corvette America

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #41
rjoyal
CF Member

3000 miles @ 8mpg = 375 gallons of gas.

I did 2000 miles with my 80 Vette that I bought for $5,000.

What did I bring?

A co-pilot who is handy with tools and doesn't mind bleeding the brakes with me in a walmart parking lot at 11pm because we can't get all the air out after both rear calipers decided to start leaking badly.

A cell phone. Walking on the side of the interstate sucks.

Money. I bought tools on the fly. The "trunk" on a C3 isn't exactly big.

Spare fluids. If the car is a trailer queen, you might discover the coolant leak when it goes empty 40 miles from nowhere.

Don't be a hero. If you get there and there's NO WAY you can drive it more than 20 miles before it's going to overheat and it gets 3mpg at 55mph, no one will call you names for getting it shipped instead of blowing up the motor.

But, if you're good with tools and you're not worried about pit stops, I say do it. I did. Was a fantastic time, even if it meant we were changing valve covers in the hotel parking lot because the ones on there were cracked and leaking like crazy. Yes, the actual valve covers - cast aluminum, or should I say porus, cracked, cast aluminum.
rjoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #42
rjoyal
CF Member

One of the coolest parts of the trip: Saving the Wave. I wanted a shark since I was 5. I finally got one.

Someone needs to make an animated gif of the wave.
rjoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #43
tfi racing
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKbroiler View Post
You can't be serious.
Me too,I can't believe that most of the posters fall for this old gag every single time.Well at least its something different this time,its usually a too good to be true deal or barn find that pulls the rubes in...

Anyways,good luck with your adventure,bring a big pocket of cash and a pile of credit cards,this trip will take a while!
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #44
bellaireroad
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstingray View Post
So i just bought a 1200 hp 8-71 blown 502 .030 over 1974 stingray and am driving it across country. what should i expect for mpg out of a 4 speed richmond t 10 and 3.73 diff with drag tires on the back? What kind of tools should i bring and what should i be checking on the journey home? I havent bought the car yet but what should i be looking for during the inspection? Thanks for your help this is my first classic car!
Let us know how it goes
bellaireroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #45
lakebumm
CF Senior Member

I was young once, and did something a little like this and made it.

But I suggest you have some sort of back up plan, just in case.

BTW, if you need help near the Charlotte, NC area, let me know.

Good luck.

BILL
lakebumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #46
Roco71
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjoyal View Post

One of the coolest parts of the trip: Saving the Wave. I wanted a shark since I was 5. I finally got one.

Someone needs to make an animated gif of the wave.
Here ya go.. the best we got right now
Roco71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #47
razman
CF Senior Member

Rick Spear

but seriously, i DO speak from experience...years ago, when i was young/dumb and full of (come on now, you didn't think i was gonna finish that ol' saying did you)?? LOL, i bought a 69 Yenko Camaro, yes, a REAL Yenko, documented and in the registry with original 427/450...i decided it would be a real adventure to fly out to Portland from Kansas and drive it back by myself. the car was in GREAT shape as described, and drove and ran very nice, i had a pocket full of cash and a cooler full of beer, WHAT could go wrong? it was April, so it was beautiful in Ks, and i didn't even bring a jacket, just one change of clothes...well i made it to Montana before i shelled out the engine completely....apparently these high compression factory quarter mile cars with low gears weren't made for highway driving??????? keep in mind this was before everyone and their kids had a cell phone, i certainly didn't, so i was standing out on the side of a two lane highway in the SNOW with my thumb out! finally hitched a ride to the next small town and rode back out with local tow truck drive to retrieve my Yenko that was sitting alone on the side of the rode....anyway, we determined that i had thrown a rod, and the motor needed complete rebuild including one sleeve after my dad drove all night to pick me up the next day with a truck and a car trailer....yes, it was an "adventure",(read that to be "nightmare") and i clearly would NEVER do something like this again, even with an unknown, more practical driver car. btw, the engine described by the OP in this 74 vette makes my Yenko 427 sound like a base 350 in comparison.. just my .02. Rick

Last edited by razman; 05-17-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: cuz
razman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #48
SuperBuickGuy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
but seriously, i DO speak from experience...years ago, when i was young/dumb and full of (come on now, you didn't think i was gonna finish that ol' saying did you)?? LOL, i bought a 69 Yenko Camaro, yes, a REAL Yenko, documented and in the registry with original 427/450...i decided it would be a real adventure to fly out to Portland from Kansas and drive it back by myself. the car was in GREAT shape as described, and drove and ran very nice, i had a pocket full of cash and a cooler full of beer, WHAT could go wrong? it was April, so it was beautiful in Ks, and i didn't even bring a jacket, just one change of clothes...well i made it to Montana before i shelled out the engine completely....apparently these high compression factory quarter mile cars with low gears weren't made for highway driving??????? keep in mind this was before everyone and their kids had a cell phone, i certainly didn't, so i was standing out on the side of a two lane highway in the SNOW with my thumb out! finally hitched a ride to the next small town and rode back out with local tow truck drive to retrieve my Yenko that was sitting alone on the side of the rode....anyway, we determined that i had thrown a rod, and the motor needed complete rebuild including one sleeve after my dad drove all night to pick me up the next day with a truck and a car trailer....yes, it was an "adventure",(read that to be "nightmare") and i clearly would NEVER do something like this again, even with an unknown, more practical driver car. btw, the engine described by the OP in this 74 vette makes my Yenko 427 sound like a base 350 in comparison.. just my .02. Rick
You'd be boring if you didn't have stories like that.... just sayin'
SuperBuickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #49
razman
CF Senior Member

Rick Spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
You'd be boring if you didn't have stories like that.... just sayin'
well, i WILL give you that! LOL....trust me, i have lots of "young and dumb" stories! (including selling the Yenko Camaro a couple of years later for 50k) Rick
razman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #50
Ontario73
CF Senior Member

When I bought my 73, with 43,000 miles, new this and that with a safety inspection certificate, I checked it out thoroughly and it looked mechanically perfect. I decided to trailer it the 3 hours home just because it was early spring and the roads were still salted and it was raining.
When I got it home it turned out it was VERY original; original coolant and other fluids! None of which were ever checked or topped up apparently! Between the nearly empty radiator and rear diff my trip on the highway would have been short! Never drive an unknown car more than a block until you can go through everything.

Killed a Yenko eh? Not many people can say that!
Ontario73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #51
GBC

Stay off hwy to keep speed down. Spend at least a day going over car before leaving.
Change all fluids.Take it slow, it will be an adventure
I have made several cross country trips fly in drive/ride back. Good times.

Last edited by GBC; 05-17-2013 at 09:41 PM.
GBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #52
bobbarry
CF Senior Member

Bah! You'll be fine!

Just fill it with 87-octane and hit the highway!

And please, whatever you do, record a video of the whole thing!
bobbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #53
PRNDL
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Mark Jackson @TraderJaxon
Send a message via AIM to PRNDL

Just take it nice and easy... one quarter mile at a time.

3000 miles x 4 = 12,000 quarter miles.... 8 secs per, that makes 96000 seconds.... 60 secs per minute = 1600 minutes...
divided by 60 minutes per... you should be home in.... 27 hours!

Last edited by PRNDL; 05-17-2013 at 11:00 PM.
PRNDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:56 AM   #54
jakvette
CF Senior Member

A jerry can and a good pair of hiking boots
jakvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #55
RodgerF
CF Member

PRNDL,

I like where your head's at!!

Rodger
RodgerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page I put a deposit on a blow1974 stingray and am plaing to drive it back acrosse country