C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing for a 1977 thats been sitting for 10 yrs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:37 PM
DFOR
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Pricing for a 1977 thats been sitting for 10 yrs.

I know someone that has a 1977 thats been sitting in his garage for about 10 years. It ran before that, but I don't know too much info on the car as of now.

It has 82,000 +/- original miles. I'll need to ask him some more questions.

He's not looking to get it running, but looking to sell it. Any idea what he should start out at, as far as pricing.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

What's the interior like? Is it as nice as the outside? Any rust underneath? Automatic or stick? L82 or L48? Also, the pinstripping throughout the car is a negative IMHO, because that's his taste, not likely anybody elses, so you can deduct for that. If the interior is mint, and an L48 Automatic, I wouldn't pay more than $3K to $4K for it. Because who knows if the automatic and the engine have grown that 'cottage cheese' from the calcification of the chemicals in the oil and trans fluid? You're going to have to replace all the fluids for sure, just as a safety measure. The brakes will have suffered from sitting so long too.

If it's an L82, stick shift car, then I'd definitely bump it up $1K more, because more than that and you're looking at a car that doesn't need anything.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi DF,
The car looks quite nice on the exterior.
But that's not the part that can get you in trouble.
If you have to buy it as it sits I'd think $2500-$3000 would be fair to YOU, and may encourage HIM to get it running and driving.
At that point it will be more costly for you to buy, but you'll be taking a lot less of a chance!
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-16-2013, 05:55 PM
DFOR
Pro

Thanks for the reply's. I'm not looking to buy it, just want to help him price it fairly. (he doesn't belong to the forum).

Will try to get more info, just didn't know what details to ask him, as far as options on the car. And more pictures too. Then I may list it in the classified section and go from there.

Last edited by DFOR; 05-16-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi DFOR,
Sorry! I misunderstood your question.
My point is about the same.
No one is going to take a big chance on a car with so little upside.
So I'd think your friend would be lucky to get the $3000 I mentioned for what can only be considered to be be a non-running/non-drivable car.
Regards,
Ala
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure of the price, but I'd take along 5 gallons of fresh gas and put it in the car. I'd then disconnect the fuel line from the the carb, and flush the fuel lines out. You don't need to dispose of the flushed fuel, as while stale, should be able to put the bad fuel back in, on mix it in your daily car.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If New England means Massachusetts be careful how you advertise the car. I doubt the law has changed in the last twenty plus years since I sold my last vehicle there, but if you advertise the car as a car and not as a parts vehicle and it fails to pass MA inspection the buyer will be within his legal right to demand a full refund, and you will have to do it. Probably won't be an issue especially since it will need to be towed or trailered to the next owner's shop, but I got burned that way once so I wanted to pass the info on.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:01 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by markids77
If New England means Massachusetts be careful how you advertise the car. I doubt the law has changed in the last twenty plus years since I sold my last vehicle there, but if you advertise the car as a car and not as a parts vehicle and it fails to pass MA inspection the buyer will be within his legal right to demand a full refund, and you will have to do it. Probably won't be an issue especially since it will need to be towed or trailered to the next owner's shop, but I got burned that way once so I wanted to pass the info on.

Every car I sell says "for parts or repair" on the bill of sale
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Originally Posted by DFOR
Thanks for the reply's. I'm not looking to buy it, just want to help him price it fairly. (he doesn't belong to the forum).

Will try to get more info, just didn't know what details to ask him, as far as options on the car. And more pictures too. Then I may list it in the classified section and go from there.
Have him join the forum and list it himself.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 AM
DFOR
Pro

Thanks for all the reply's and suggestions.

It is an L48. Automatic. Interior is about a 6 our of 10, but I haven't seen it. He said it ran ok (he didn't say great) when he last drove it about 8 years ago.

But then again, he now drives a pretty quick car which is no comparison to the 77 Vette.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If the frame and birdcage are good, I'd give 3 to 4 grand.

Get notified of new replies

To Pricing for a 1977 thats been sitting for 10 yrs.

Quick Reply: Pricing for a 1977 thats been sitting for 10 yrs.