Sponsored by:

T top help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:12 PM
mchaggis
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default T top help

Hello, I've recently purchased a 1981 and just getting to know "her". I've been fiddling around in the interior and I'm trying to figure out why the t tops are loose at the rear ? They're in good shape glass wise. The gaskets are shot, but the thing that has me stumped is the rear. Is it held in just with the small bolt like thing (pin), outboard, attached to the c pillar ? I can't seem to find a diagram or pictures of how the t tops are supposed to go on/together. This baby was very abused and neglected for a long time. There was a lawn mower engine spark plug in number 4 cylinder and the distributor was held together by dry wall screws to name a couple of the problems. So I'm not sure what is right and what's been cobbled. The carpeting is new though thanks folks, Chuck
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 PM
chrisNY
Racer

yes there is just the pin on the outside back that snugs it tight, the 2 inner ones on the t top center can be shimmed to adjust up/down in and out a little, and the front outer locks it all together if that makes any sense. the weather stripping really keeps em snug. you can take off the covers on the center and the cover on the front and loosen them all and try to adjust it that way as well until you get a centered and good fit. every ones different and difficult to great a fit be careful not to over tighten it cus they will crack if to tight. you can also get a t top refurbish kit with new pins and sleaves that fix a lot of slack. any pics of the 81???
also there is a contact in there for the factory alarm. I think I have a pic in my photos of when I had mine apart
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Careful. The glass tops sit a little higher at halo panel than fiberglass tops. Do not try to make them flush. You'll break them. If your tops do not rattle and if they do not leak, leave them alone for the time being.

Note inset Section C-C:

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-05-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 AM
indydoug
Racer

Originally Posted by mchaggis
...the t tops are loose at the rear ....The gaskets are shot, ...
Could there be a correlation here? The gaskets get compressed slightly for a good seal, I would expect shot gaskets to feel more loose than normal. Pictures would help, otherwise it will be a lot of speculation.

Get notified of new replies

To T top help

Quick Reply: T top help