Sponsored by:

Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:34 AM
newguy1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I do it?

G'day all, I started watching the Corvette Forum a couple of years ago and even joined a while back. But I've been back sliding and did other things while the Corvettes collect dust. I had a stroke last month and realize that it is time to rap up or dispose of some of these projects. Please excuse spelling and vocabulary as I am improving.

I have a 78 that was a road race car all of its life. When I acquired it I had every intention of returning it to the track. Now, health says otherwise. So my dad and I want to put it back together. It had a non-original 400 sbc in it when I got it and that was sold. Traded it for a grand father clock for my wife. It is also an automatic transmission car. Strange huh?

I have a complete date correct l82 that was a warranty engine in my friends 77. When replaced by a 400 sbc it had noising pistons, smoked a little, but ran really well. It really is a contender as a transplant.

But, last week I was perusing Ebay and found a supposed LS7 shortblock. And I don't mean an LS series but vintage case iron. The seller didn't have a buy it now but nobody was bidding on it. He listed what he thought it had for parts and it sounded pretty good. So it is now in my shop sitting next to the 78. We pulled the pan and everything looked nice. It had the cross-drilled steel crank, polished beam 7/16 bolt rods, and no ridge.

I have an extra pair of aluminum heads, fresh ready to go. I have an l88 intake manifold.

What would you all advice to put into the old beast. L82 or LS7. The car is so far from stock that I can't see trying to return to stock. And if I can figure out how to post pictures, I will.

Thanks for any and all advice and please feel free to pm me.
ms
Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Your choice. It's your car.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Well hey, new guy,

Sounds like you have a couple fun options you can take your time with and play at.

Personally I think I'd go the route of the LS7, just for the challenge and fun and rarity of it. It seems like there are L82's on every corner. Just my fairly uninformed opinion...

I'm not thinking there should be any unusual complications with that engine, but maybe some engine wiring harness issues, maybe... I really don't know how differnt it'd be if at all. Like I said, uninformed that way.

Maybe some of the true mechanics of the forum could help with the minor diff's... But I also like I said, it'd be a fun challenge.

Good luck with the vettes and your recovery!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop in the ls7 an have fun!! While you are at it get a nice strong 5-6 speed manual trans to thrown in there!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

LS7

Get notified of new replies

To Should I do it?

Quick Reply: Should I do it?