Sponsored by:

1980 doors on a 76

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 AM
AZ76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1980 doors on a 76

Quick question; anyone know if the doors from an 80 will fit up with a 1976. I have an opportunity to buy complete doors with door panels, windows, locks, mirrors, etc for cheaper than I can pick up the door panels I need. But don't want to waste the time if the doors are going to be a pita to mount. Did a search and didn't find much help.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:06 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

The 80's are a direct bolt on, but if your trying to keep your 76 all stock appearing, I'd pass on them.

The 80 door latch, inside release, lock ****, lock rods and arm rest mount are different, but the basic door, the hinges and latch location are the same. As long as you use the 80 door panels and controls, it all bolts up.

It's not worth trying to convert the 80 doors, if you want to use 76 door panels, lock ***** and inside door handles. It's just more work than it's worth.

Last edited by gbvette62; 04-30-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM
AZ76
Instructor

Glad to hear the doors directly bolt on. Since they come with everything and I'm not looking for an original look I may go ahead and pull the trigger on these. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

It'll be a big improvement to the looks of the 76's interior.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are te new doors the same color as your current or are you gonna have to paint the whole car anyway? Are the interior panels the same color as your 76 interior? I hope it works out for you. I jus bought used door panels, steering column, door handles and few other interior pieces from a donor car off cl. Both my car an the donor car were 79 vettes but had different interior colors. I used duplicolor interior/vinyl for to change color an it worked GREAT. What I didn't know/ notice until the install was that the l48 &l82 door panels are not the same. The electric door lock switches are mounted in completely different spots. Also the door latch and arm rest are off by about an inch nothing that a few adjustments couldn't fix. I had to drill a hole in the door's steel frame for the switch an wiring to go to. The new panels switch was up about an inch and a half an forward two inches. I went to J&D corvette an look at a pair of l48 panels like mine and a pair of l82 panels like my donor car ones an they were different as well.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse10886
Are te new doors the same color as your current or are you gonna have to paint the whole car anyway? Are the interior panels the same color as your 76 interior? I hope it works out for you. I jus bought used door panels, steering column, door handles and few other interior pieces from a donor car off cl. Both my car an the donor car were 79 vettes but had different interior colors. I used duplicolor interior/vinyl for to change color an it worked GREAT. What I didn't know/ notice until the install was that the l48 &l82 door panels are not the same. The electric door lock switches are mounted in completely different spots. Also the door latch and arm rest are off by about an inch nothing that a few adjustments couldn't fix. I had to drill a hole in the door's steel frame for the switch an wiring to go to. The new panels switch was up about an inch and a half an forward two inches. I went to J&D corvette an look at a pair of l48 panels like mine and a pair of l82 panels like my donor car ones an they were different as well.
I'm floored that GM would put differenet panels in the cars just because the motors changed.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 PM
AZ76
Instructor

Haha...there isn't a door in this world that matches my current paint (not sure if it shows up in my sig...been a long time since I've been on here), but ya the whole car is to be painted some day. Also I'm starting over with the interior and plan on doing the dye thing with the parts I can salvage and used ones I pick up, so as far as cosmetically I'm not worried about it. What I was mainly concerned with is that the door actually fits in the same spot. I do notice that the power window switch seems to be on the door, and if I remember correctly my 76 had the window switches in the center console. I'm OK with re-routing some wiring, but didn't want to deal with any major modifications or it wouldn't really be worth it for me. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ76
I do notice that the power window switch seems to be on the door, and if I remember correctly my 76 had the window switches in the center console.
All 68-82 Corvettes with power windows, have the switches mounted in the console. If there are switches, in the 80 door panels, then they are for power looks.

If the 80 doors, do have power locks, you could probably make them operational in your 76, with a little wiring and ingenuity.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 PM
AZ76
Instructor

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 doors on a 76

Quick Reply: 1980 doors on a 76