Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Corvette roadtrip through Italy (Tuscany), day-by-day diary

Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Default 2013 Corvette roadtrip through Italy (Tuscany), day-by-day diary

Some of you might remember a thread with a similar name from last year: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...day-diary.html. A group of European Corvette enthusiasts from Germany, Austria and Switzerland toured the South Coast of France in May 2012 and we chronicled our stories in a thread here on this forum. Well, ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys: Season 2 of the European adventure roadtrip is about to begin.

"Tour de Vino - 25 Corvettes ranging from a Big Block C2 up to a C6 Z06 are touring the Tuscany region in Italy from May 10 - 18, 2013"

And if I live to tell the tale, I will again chronicle the tour on a daily basis, hopefully with some of my friends to help me out.. To start off, some background info. The gang will meet up at the shore of Lake Garda in Northern Italy on May 10. For some, this will be a 7-800 miles drive. We'll have a welcom party there to kickstart the tour.

We'll then be driving through some of the most beautiful regions of Southern Europe, taking scenic back roads.

Along the way we'll be visiting some famous landmarks

Eat (well, what else?) finest Italian food and drink sweet Italian wine

There will be more: A day at the races, marble, Roman history, the Mediterranian Sea, incredible landscapes and all this in world's most beautiful sports car ever: A Corvette.

In less than 2 weeks the pilot episode of Season 2 will air exclusively on this forum. See you then.

Greetings from Switzerland,

Martin
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Martin,
Well!
This should be fun for all of you and interesting for us!
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Boy,

Would really like to do this next year!!! Folks living in Belgium invited???

Rogman
Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Yankeededandy
Pro

@Alan
Thank you. I remember your nice comments from last year.

@Rogman
That depends on what you're willing to do to get invited. I had to sign over my first born, enslave and sell my wife and give away all my earthly goods to be part of this. So now you know what it takes. If there will be another tour again next year and you're still genuinely interested, I can send you the Email adress of the guy who organized this. It's not certain at all, if there will be another one, though. The work involved in organizing it must be immense. I wouldn't know, since I'm only "the blogger".
The number of participants is limited to 25 cars

8 days to countdown...

Martin
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I look forward to your documentation. Last year's version was sensational. Going to put the hardtop on?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I will follow this with great anticipation. Ciao!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd like to see this thread made into a sticky. For those who don't follow the C2 forums, the tours there are epic......
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM
stacka
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

@Rogman
That depends on what you're willing to do to get invited. I had to sign over my first born,
Check, doable... Not that anyone would want her ;-)

enslave and sell my wife and give away all my earthly goods to be part of this. So now you know what it takes.

Martin
Check, what's another layer of enslavement???

The number of participants is limited to 25 cars
Therein lies my problem!!! Breaking into a group as the noob!!! I'll touch base with you if I think I can get the ole girl road worthy next year!!!

Have a blast!!!

Rogman
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Yankeededandy
Pro

11 hours to countdown...

Most of the crew coming from Germany already left and are spending the night somewhere in between our meeting point at the Lake Garda in Northern Italy. Having the geographical advantage of living in Switzerland, the border to Italy is close. So we will be leaving tomorrow morning. Weather forecast is cloudy, some rain but nothing that could stop a true member of the faithful community of Corvettitians. Here's the route we plan to take. You can see all of Switzerland and the Lake Garda (Lago di Garda). For your orientation: Venice can be seen on the right. The route will take us over several Swiss mountain passes and through the Swiss National Park. We'll drive through Merano and will then follow the highway for the last leg to Verona. Ah, I'm so looking forward to an Italian dinner and that regional red wine.

This time, I'm prepared to take pictues and videos: I'm taking a video drone along for the ride for those "chopper views" and that new Hero GoPro 3 I got for my birthday This and my trusty SONY NEX5N with the 18-200mm lens should cover almost every angle of the trip.

Day 1 of the diary coming up...

So, if you like, join us too by following our diary.

Martin

Last edited by Yankeededandy; 05-09-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 05-10-2013, 06:21 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lupigiato73
I will follow this with great anticipation. Ciao!
Me Too!!!

Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

I live in Torino and sadly, don't have a Corvette over here. If you guys get in trouble, I'm not that far away; so you can call me for help.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Day 1 – The Gathering

Are you familiar with the weather itch? No? That's the itch you get about 5 days before a tour when you just have to check the weather channel about every 20 minutes to see if those nasty rain clouds would vanish from the map on D-Day. I had the itch right until the morning of Day 1 and scratching my head didn't make the clouds go away.

Robert and his girlfriend Nayla came over to start the trip with us. The morning of D-Day saw the four of us packing everything we would probably never need into too large bags and hammer them into the too tight backspace of our 69 convertibles. At least enough weight on the rear wheels.

We took off to meet with more friends along the way. When we reached the foot of the mountains near the Swiss city Chur, the rain was coming down hard. But it got worse: Traffic service reported snow down to 3500 feet evelation. This meant, the mountain passes we wanted to cross where closed. So we drove the San Bernardino route with its tunnels as the only alternative. The weather was awful but it still made for some impressive sights.

We were 4 cars by then, 2 C3s, a C4 and a C6. The roads were slippery and we found out once more that there are apparently no decent tires available for our C3s if you want to drive on a wet surface.

Once we reached the southern side of the Alps, the sun finally broke through. Our spirits went up and the tops down. Before we reached the border to Italy, we stopped to gas up on the Swiss side. That's one of the few things that are actually cheaper than in Italy in this insanely expensive country. The lake “Lago di Garda” lies east of Milano. You can imagine how much traffic we had to dodge on a Friday afternoon near that big city. We kept our heads down and stepped on it, once we cleared the outskirts of Milano. I hate highway driving by the way. With a 3.36 rear axle there is no high speed cruising possible. We kept sane speeds – no point in grenading the small block screamer at the beginning of such a trip.

Well, we finally made it to the hotel near Verona. I'll be introducing the cars and drivers in a later post. There are some really nice ones here.

The welcome party was in full swing thanks to the tours signature drink, the “Aperol Sprizz”.

I have no idea if you can get “Aperol” in the US. But if you do, try it: The recipe is simple: 6 parts Prosecco, 4 parts Aperol, 1 part soda water, 1 slice of orange and ice. It will put you instantly into that Italian mood and you start singing silly songs like this:

End of day 1. Day 2 will see us visiting the race track of Modena and more. Signing off for now,

Martin
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep the updates coming.

Awesome trip.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:23 AM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Thought I saw my vet in the back of the garage. Nope just checked, mines still here! Damn, that means I'm still here!
Wish I was with you.

Can't wait till tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Corvette roadtrip through Italy (Tuscany), day-by-day diary

Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Alain_President
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys....... next time call us

www.corvetteitalia.it

we will be happy to meet you!!!!!!

see u next time??????

Ciaooooo

Last edited by Alain_President; 05-13-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM
qball
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Watching this thread with interest,we are in Lucca in two weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Corvette roadtrip through Italy (Tuscany), day-by-day diary