Sponsored by:

Asbestos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Asbestos?

Do any of you know if and where asbestos was used in a '79 corvette. I am pulling all sorts of stuff apart, old sub carpeting, etc want to make sure I don't kill myself. A quick google turned up this site, http://www.asbestos.com/automotive/ check out hte graphic at the top... haha.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

hood liner would be the most disturbing as it could be sucked in the vents.the rest we already knew.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Do any of you know what that sub carpeting is made from?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most of the asbestos was in the early brake pads to absorb the heat. The hood liners were a fiber glass style pad and do not think it is a problem in this model year. But if you want just wear a mask, long sleeve shirt and gloves when removing than replacing it. it is not good to breath the Fiber Glass either They do not post years this was a problem in the link you sent but it was very early model cars..

I do know when I was changing tires for a living back in the late 1980s many of the foreign cars Mercedes, BMW, Volvo and a few others still used asbestos in the brake shoes well into the 1980s while the American cars went to semi metallic brake shoes to reduce heat.

It has been 20 some years since I did it for a living and always wonder if I will have a problem since I breathed lots of brake dust back than. Used to pull black snot out of my snoot back then after I showered after work.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:50 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElCid 79
Do any of you know what that sub carpeting is made from?
The pads in carpeting were mostly fiber pads for deadening sound and not asbestos. You do not have to worry about it from my research.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:06 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You probably have higher risk of getting cancer from drinking Diet Cola, than from any asbestos in a C3 car. Just sayin'.....
Old 04-28-2013, 01:51 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

You should always question the authority of the one producing the information.

There are a variety of factors that must be considered when evaluating a case for a possible mesothelioma lawsuit. The process of how to value a potential case is not necessarily an easy process, but it is a necessary one and can be accomplished without too much strain on a patient or their family. Because the valuation of a case can be so complex, potential plaintiffs should get the opinion of an experienced mesothelioma attorney, someone who can explain the hows and whys of a case and what will be needed to get the case to the finish line..

Mesothelioma case values are determined in part by:
Do you think there might be anything to the advantage of those producing the information for this web site?

As such, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

You might want to check this site instead.

http://www2.epa.gov/asbestos
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You would have to inhale asbestos fibers for years before you would kill yourself.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:25 PM
billcarson
Drifting

yes kinda gives you something to look forward to.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've gone through asbestos training for projects I've done, and actually pretty good non poisoness material. Problem is, when the fibers get airborn, and caught in your lungs. If you leave it intact, as installed, no problem. Lots of older houses, have pipes and hvac ductwork wrapped in this stuff with no problems. Bettin everyone here has been exposed to asbestos many times. Don't mean not to watch what you're doing, but don't need to freak out about it eather.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:44 PM
billcarson
Drifting

i have also and have been exposed before anyone knew any better.if it is friable stay away.also whatever you do ,if exposed on a regular basis,don't smoke!

Get notified of new replies

To Asbestos?

Quick Reply: Asbestos?