Sponsored by:

Looking at an 81 tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Dega500
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yyz1970
Judging by the pictures its in the $5000-$7500 price range. There are hundreds of C3's out there 4sale take your time a pick a good one
Good luck shopping.
You're in the ballpark yyz, actually, a little high. The negotiation is still underway.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Dega500
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big Block Dave

The one "issue" I can see is that the heater core has been bypassed, so I assume that the heater core probably leaks. If you dont want heat, then its no problem.
That's exactly why I posted here. Thank you Big Block Dave!

I have put heater cores in gen 1 and 2 Camaros. if these are anything like Camaros to replace this will be an issue for me. At least a bargaining tool!

Dega
Old 04-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Dega500
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big Block Dave
When you do go, take pictures of the 6 link rear, and the interior, and please show us before you talk money. If not, hey you dont have to answer to us about your affairs, but we'd all love to help you get the most car for your hard earned money.
This is why I asked and I appreciate all of you opinions and concerns.

Truth be known, i wasn't even in the market for a Corvette. I have a boat listed for sale or trade on CL and ran across this vehicle browsing the items for barter ads. He was looking to trade for a bass boat and I had one. So here we are. My cousin (in TN) just recently rescued an 82 Vette and I've always loved them and wanted one and thought hey, this could be a fun project for my son and me.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 PM
r75vet
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought mine and have been working on it with my son. The smile on his face the day I dropped him off at school is worth more than the money or the car. Cars can be a great way to connect with kids, especially ones that are special but require a little elbow grease. If your son finds one he likes and its solid, buy it and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I looked at so many vettes online and in person before I bought my 1977 Vette. I was really **** and wanted original or modified to pass emission standards in the county I lived in. I did not want to put another grand into any car I bought so I spent 3 months searching. Finally settled on a 1977 with only 43,260 original miles on it when I bought it 3 weeks ago.

Any classic I bought would need more money to make it the way I want it. Mine so far has only cost me about $250.00 bucks and will grow after I really go through the car.

My only thought is be **** inspect the car fully. I made the dude selling me mine pull it up on a speed bump because he would not allow me to use the ramps I carried with me to inspect the undercarriage.

I got a good deal on this car for the condition is was in. Paid $9000.00 for it and Hemmings has it listed between $14,000 and $26,000 for the condition it is in for resale.

My only suggestion is do all the research you can before you buy it. Inspect it fully and see what kind of work it will need up front. I knew most of what I was getting into before i Bought mine and know it will be low cost to fix the problems I need to fix to make it the way I want it.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dega500
..He was looking to trade for a bass boat and I had one. So here we are...
You are not going to enjoy fishing from your Corvette, but I suppose you could convert the rear storage compartments into live wells

Take your time looking over the car, and if possible get it up on a lift...these cars are real tough to look underneath...I just looked over a 67 Chevelle for someone last weekend, and was able to crawl under the whole car...I assure you, you will not be able to do this on a C3 unless you are seriously underweight!

If you can, ask if the seller can remove the kick panels and look at the bodymount location for rust. Look very closely at all areas around the windshield. Also check the HVAC controls to see if this car originally had a/c, because as you know, it does not now.

Another thing, the interiors on these cars are expensive to redo. Go onto a supplier's website like Corvette Central, and price out the interior pieces before you get there, so you know what you are in for.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 PM
jackwabbit703
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I asked and I appreciate all of you opinions and concerns.

Truth be known, i wasn't even in the market for a Corvette. I have a boat listed for sale or trade on CL and ran across this vehicle browsing the items for barter ads. He was looking to trade for a bass boat and I had one. So here we are. My cousin (in TN) just recently rescued an 82 Vette and I've always loved them and wanted one and thought hey, this could be a fun project for my son and me.
Just make sure you LIKE it enough to buy and be okay about spending money. If you have any doubt about the car, just walk away. And if you do not know how to do the minor repairs and maintenance yourself, I would not buy a C3. Not trying to discourage you. Just being realistic.

Last edited by jackwabbit703; 04-26-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Dega500
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackwabbit703
Not trying to discourage you. Just being realistic.
I appreciate everyone's honesty. I am equipped to do most any maintenance and even some major work short of painting.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 AM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I appreciate everyone's honesty. I am equipped to do most any maintenance and even some major work short of painting.
I was the same way and have owned a few classic cars in the past.

I know how to replace engines in a 1972 El Camino and 1976 Malibu Classics it requires me to jump up and down on the engines to make the fit again Did this twice to fit the engine into the tranny

Vettes are still new to me but with only 43,500 miles after a few weeks of owning this one I do not have to replace it anytime soon since I know enough now how not to blow an engine
Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 AM
vettestu
Instructor

Default NO money pits

I'm in complete agreement with jackwabbit. get the MD 'vette after long and comprehesive talks with seller. Old modified cars are just a PITA! You will spend more time under the thing with your son off doing something fun without you.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:37 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

so what happened with this? did you buy it?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Dega500
Instructor

Default Just got back!

Originally Posted by qwank
so what happened with this? did you buy it?
I just got back from checking out the Vette. The best part was it ran and rode really well. The previous owner kind of rushed his restoration and could have done a lot better preparing the body and aligning before painting. The paint did look ok and all metal I could see was solid. The interior was really tired and could use a complete redo.

I did not do the deal and likely wont,

The search continues.

Quick Reply: Looking at an 81 tomorrow!