C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'78 Corvette can't smog, what am I getting into?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Default My '79 C3 (Corvette can't smog, what am I getting into?)

EDIT: I bought it. Here is a link to the full album of pictures: http://imgur.com/a/acXBs

Hi-

New to the forum, did some searching but haven't found quite what I'm looking for.

I colleague of mine has a '78 (might be '79, not sure) Corvette that he'll let me pick up for $1k, he just wants it gone. A few years ago he paid around $8k for it and it has all kinds of goodies, but he doesnt know what they are (he knows nothing about cars). All I know is that it is a 4-speed, should have a lot of power, and probably has no smog equipment.

I'm going to go look at it this weekend.

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for? If this car truly has no smog equipment at all and I need to get it smogged, are the parts hard to find?

I read that they came with a smog pump, I assume it originally had an EGR system and catalytic converters.

I'll report back when I see it in person and get some pictures. I think it is a steal, it was very nice a few years ago but has been baking in the desert sun and I understand the paint and the top are toast. Here are some pictures of it right after he bought it (he says it looks nothing like this now, it's been horribly neglected for a few years)

Name:  wakPevxm.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  20.1 KB
Name:  OXlv56Cm.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  20.1 KB
Name:  L5hgDxmm.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  20.2 KB

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 04-25-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:19 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The parts alone are worth much more than that. I'd pay that much just to get the transmission conversion parts from it. Then sell the rest for profit. Good deal no matter how you look at it.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

That's good to hear. I'm not interested in buying it to part it out. I'd buy it to fix it and put it back on the road and restore it, or sell to someone else to fix it or part it out. I have a '94 Z28 that I enjoy but I might sell it to fund the Corvette restoration.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The Z28 probably isn't worth that much $$ but has great powerplant transplant possibilities.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:13 PM
EmNash
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the bazookas coming out of the back, the cat is long gone. What are your states rules on old cars? some states exempt them, others require all emission equipment intact.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

I thought about putting my Z28 powerplant into it, but if I'm going through all that trouble it's not going to be for an LT1. I think I can get $4k for my '94 Z.

Nevada is kind of crazy with the smog laws. I'm just not sure what I'll expect.

We have classic rod and classic vehicle plates that do not require smog and have a 5,000 mile per year limit. I don't like the limit, and last time I tried to get one of those plates I was told I had to get the vehicle to pass smog once before getting the plate...but that was a vehicle I was trying to bring from out of state.

I think what I'm going to have to do is get a driving pass and take it down to the DMV and see what they tell me to do. I'm just trying to get an understanding of what the stock smog equipment is so I know what to look for when I go see this thing on Saturday.

I might get lucky and be able to register it as a classic rod and be done with it, and watch my odometer.

California was great...when I lived there, anything '73 or older you could just register it as long as you have insurance. NV has that but the year is '67.

Vehicles Requiring a Test
Passenger cars, trucks, RVs and motor homes need an emissions test if they are:

Based in the urban areas of Clark or Washoe county;
Gasoline powered (regardless of weight or size)
Diesel powered with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating up to and including 14,000 pounds; and
1968 model year or newer (unless the vehicle qualifies for a Classic Vehicle exemption)
New vehicles on their third registration. First and second registrations are exempted. Hybrids are exempt for five model years.
Emissions tests are valid for 90 days.
You must have a valid Nevada test to complete any original registration or most renewals if the vehicle requires a test as listed above. This includes reinstatement of a suspended registration.

Nevada requires used car dealers to issue a valid emissions test, when required, on any vehicle they sell. In private transactions, the test is the buyer's responsibility.

Exempt Vehicles
The following vehicles are exempt from emission testing:

New motor vehicles on their first and second registration.
New hybrid-electric vehicles for the first 5 model years.
1967 or older.
Motorcycle or moped.
Vehicles based in remote areas of Clark and Washoe counties and all other Nevada counties (see Testing Areas or call us).
Alternative fuel vehicles.
Diesel vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 14,001 pounds or greater.
Transfer of ownership/registration if the last test was conducted within 90 days before the transfer.
Transfer of ownership/registration between husband and wife.
Transfer of ownership/registration between companies whose principal business is leasing vehicles if there is no change in the lessee or operator of the vehicle.
Vehicles registered as a Classic Rod, Classic Vehicle or Old Timer and driven 5,000 miles or less per year.
Vehicles registered as a Replica Vehicle.
http://www.dmvnv.com/emission.htm
Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

More info about the exemption:

http://www.dmvnv.com/emission.htm#Classic
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,336 Posts

78 and 79 L-82's, California Emission, and High Altitude Emission equipped cars, came with an A.I.R. pump. L-48's, with the 48 State Emission system, didn't use the A.I.R. pump.

All engines had the EGR, and also the Evaporative Control System, and all of the associated lines, charcoal canister, etc. There were some other minor systems too, such as the PCV valve, the EFE system, Thermostatic Air Cleaner, and on some cars a TCS.

All 78-79's, came with single exhaust and a single catalytic converter.

To determine whether the original engine is (was) a base L-48 or L-82, check the VIN. If the 5th digit of the VIN, identifies the original engine. In 78, an "L" for the L-48, and a "4" for the L-82. In 79, the L-48 was an "8" while the L-82 was still a "4".
Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Thank you!

I've been reading about this today and I think the catalyst sticker on the car will probably tell me what I need to know.

I can't wait to see this thing on Saturday.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
...Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for?...
Does it matter? Would there be any reason you would not want this car for $1K?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Actually, yes! I understand it doesn't look like it did in those pictures...they are several years old and it has been neglected....and I have to be able to register it, which means I probably need to smog it.

Having said that, it is become pretty clear to me that if I buy it for $1k and it doesn't work out, I can resell it easily.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

At $1,000, you could buy it, stick it on eBay, and have it gone in 2 weeks for $2,000 or more.

Just buy it, and worry about the rest later.

As to transplanting the Z-28 LT-1 into it, you'd be asking for more headaches. It would then have to pass the '94 smog rules typically.

Most of the missing stuff is easy to find. The EGR manifolds are a dime a dozen, as no one wants them.

Exhaust is two options. First and easiest is to take it to a good muffler shop and get two high performance cats put in the dual exhaust. That will usually pass. The second is a bit more costly with taking this one off and putting on a stock 2 into 1 into two system with single cat.

Smog pumps can be found relatively cheap. It may not be the stock one, but it will function as needed.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Yeah it doesn't make any sense for me to swap the Z28 engine into the C3. I'd much rather sell it and use the money to build what it already has...and maybe swap in a 5-speed.

Based on the comments here and elsewhere I've asked about this car, it'd be silly to not jump on this deal and figure it out later, I am not likely going to lose money in the end.

I like the dual high performance cat option.

I'll probably buy it and take lots of pictures and update this thread with where I'm at and see if you fine folks have any more suggestions for me.

Thanks so far!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...it is become pretty clear to me that if I buy it for $1k and it doesn't work out, I can resell it easily...
Which brings us back to:
Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Does it matter? Would there be any reason you would not want this car for $1K?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Found a more recent picture on google street view:

Name:  laicLmY.png
Views: 34
Size:  548.6 KB
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Found a more recent picture on google street view:

If it complete, it is worth more than 1K. Sad he treated it like he did, but you will benefit from it. It is a total project, and you will probably have to go through just about everything, BUT it is a Corvette and worth saving. Good luck and be sure to post more pics!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:38 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chstitans42
If it complete, it is worth more than 1K. Sad he treated it like he did, but you will benefit from it. It is a total project, and you will probably have to go through just about everything, BUT it is a Corvette and worth saving. Good luck and be sure to post more pics!
buy it

Get notified of new replies

To '78 Corvette can't smog, what am I getting into?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:46 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

So it was an interesting transaction. He was firm on the price but $1k ain't bad. Turns out he replaced the wheels and tires last year. They are cheap steelies and 225/60/HR15s but they'll do for now. I didn't really like the look of the other wheels he had on it. These tires are shorter than the stock tires, but whatever. He seems really excited to see me get it back on the road and drive it to the office.

Here are the pictures I took today as I bought it. Consider them the "before" pictures. It is actually a '79.

I'm completely undecided about whether or not to keep and restore this car or have some fun and dump it for a possible small profit. It'll all depend on how it goes when I try to register it.

If I get it registered once, I can get the Classic Vehicle plate and not have to smog it anymore. The caveat is that I can't drive it more than 5,000 miles/year but I think that is reasonable. If I get that far with it, I will probably keep it for quite a while.

I had to buy a battery and some starter fluid, it will start but doesn't run higher than about 2,000 rpm and won't stay running for long. It runs just well enough to get it on and off a car hauler and into the garage. I think a carb rebuild or replacement is in order.

Name:  WBIrBUnl.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  46.7 KB
Name:  9SxbaJGl.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  55.5 KB
Name:  uimKXlsl.jpg
Size:  43.9 KB
Name:  iyx0rMvl.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  45.9 KB
Name:  8tmWgfOl.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  47.5 KB
Name:  PiDFdiDl.jpg
Size:  49.5 KB
Name:  4eXMIgJl.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  60.1 KB
Name:  WG5jdGgl.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  53.0 KB

There was a big subwoofer box back here, poorly wired up, I ripped it out and cut the wires and threw it in the dumpster. I plan to get rid of all this crap and just run a basic stereo system should I decide to keep it.
Name:  rvo1bHul.jpg
Size:  52.9 KB
Name:  JSmtBU8l.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  81.7 KB

It has been sitting without an air cleaner for who knows how long:
Name:  TP6iV4Fl.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  70.5 KB

Wrapped headers:
Name:  tLefXmKl.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  47.2 KB

I wonder if it has a cam or anything else interesting.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 04-20-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Good nesss!!! That interior has so much bubba work in it it isn't funny! It can all be put back of course! Also, that steering wheel ball is super pointless... Keep us updated!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:57 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Yeah its pretty awful.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 05-29-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: '78 Corvette can't smog, what am I getting into?