Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just got a HUGE blast of reality at the auction

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Bagpype
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes finish the car. I have 8k in mine and it sits in pieces in my shop. You think I could get 5k for it in its current condition?? No. A few thousand more and I may break even. That's how it works unfortunately. Dump it and take a loss, fix it up as it should be and make a few bucks, or stop bellyaching about the "worthless corvettes" and the "morons" who buy them. You do realize that everyone on this forum who you asked opinions from are "corvette morons" right? You tried to make money on a car that has a very limited market, you didnt/couldnt do the work to make it right, and you blame the car for being "worthless" and insult all of us as "morons?. I think you've proven who the moron is here.

Last edited by Bagpype; 04-16-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corvette's, h'mm some people get it some don't. The OP established an actual cash value from the auction for his Corvette. His decision was to keep it.

If he wanted more he needs to establish if any upgrades will bring in more dollars. If it does not, sell it for what it is. Basic business math.

We had people coming to us and said "I want to paint the car to sell it, I think I can get more money for it". All though I lost the sale but not the customer I asked " Would a new paint job bring you any more money for the vehicle" ?

For the most part it would not and I would be doing a disservice to my client for taking his money and not allowing him to at least recoupe his 'paint job' investment.

The price is what it is worth. Sell it. Swine before pearl's. I have put a lot of $100.00 dollars dresses on a $10.00 dollar 'pig' and it still is a pig.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 AM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
"moron that doesn't know corvettes are worthless"

what's up with that?

seriously man, nobody here attacked you, lighten up. I would suggest that you are in the wrong hobby for sure.
I believe he is talking about Corvettes around 79 and at that price point... which he is right are a dime a dozen. C1's and C2's definitely wouldn't fit in that. He has a very good point, not many people go head over heals for 74-79's in my opinion.

I don't think he is being rude, he is trying to sell his car that is getting ripped apart (though he asked for it). I would be frustrated too.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 AM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I would finish a few things on it that are relatively cheap. Maybe new seats, carpet and steering wheel. I wouldn't mess with taking the side pipes off some people may like that.

I have had a few that needed some of these things to get some interest and it did work. But I would not go too much deeper at all. Money tied up hoping for a sale. You have to remember, even an immaculate 79 won't fetch much more than 12k and that would include original motor, l82, etc. Even though if I were in the market for a rubber bumper, I wouldn't be dead set on an l82. for the ~50 hp increase. I really don't understand the glamour of an l82

Don't know why anyone here would be offended by the op.

Last edited by tjschraf; 04-17-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm kind of glad people don't like the later ones because I do and it makes them affordable for me. I like the style of the 79 just as much as the 69, heck, I like each one in their own way. I just might be one of the morons. However the people that don't care for bubble backs and plastic bumpers are other corvette owners. The rest of the general public probably can't tell you one from the other. A c3 is a c3 to most people. What they CAN see is a clean inviting interior.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 AM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sell it to a moron who doesn't know corvettes are worthless: rofl::rofl ::ro fl:: rofl:

this coming from the moron who bought a car without researching it and then poured thousands into it to make it a driver without researching it and then gets pissed off about the lack of value seriously!!!??? a steel 69 chevelle ss wouldn't bring you any money if you spend your money so carelessly *** you did on this project

" i'm ah buy me a chevelle fur $28k restore it for $30k more so i can auction it for $35k yes sir thats how we bubbas do it"

if you are not doing this as a hobby then your the moron you messed up restoring cars are just like boats "bust out another thousand"

i hope you put this engine and trans in your c cab it will be the best part of that car if your craftsmanship is anything like your whiny *** childish attitude or your sence of buisness in trying to flip cars you do not research before spending thousands on
Old 04-17-2013, 12:28 AM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

I'm kind of glad people don't like the later ones because I do and it makes them affordable for me. I like the style of the 79 just as much as the 69, heck, I like each one in their own way. I just might be one of the morons. However the people that don't care for bubble backs and plastic bumpers are other corvette owners. The rest of the general public probably can't tell you one from the other. A c3 is a c3 to most people. What they CAN see is a clean inviting interior.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 AM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bagpype
Yes finish the car. I have 8k in mine and it sits in pieces in my shop. You think I could get 5k for it in its current condition?? No. A few thousand more and I may break even. That's how it works unfortunately. Dump it and take a loss, fix it up as it should be and make a few bucks, or stop bellyaching about the "worthless corvettes" and the "morons" who buy them. You do realize that everyone on this forum who you asked opinions from are "corvette morons" right? You tried to make money on a car that has a very limited market, you didnt/couldnt do the work to make it right, and you blame the car for being "worthless" and insult all of us as "morons?. I think you've proven who the moron is here.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 AM
farmall
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...direction.html
Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, I have bought and sold dozens and dozens of cars. The way it works is, if it needs work, only low ballers like me will buy it. When I sell, nobody wants a car that "just needs a gasket" or "Just needs a good detailing". They want them as close to perfect as possible. Otherwise they don't sell for a decent price. just the way it is. Go to a used car lot. Notice the silicone sprayed all over the power washed engine? Trans fluid in the motor oil to clean out the sludge? Fresh black spray paint or undercoat on the exposed frame and inner fenders? Quick buff job? People are usually pretty shallow and first impressions are what sell. That car does not have it. I wouldn't have given more than $4500 for it myself...
Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gungatim
Well, I have bought and sold dozens and dozens of cars. The way it works is, if it needs work, only low ballers like me will buy it. When I sell, nobody wants a car that "just needs a gasket" or "Just needs a good detailing". They want them as close to perfect as possible. Otherwise they don't sell for a decent price. just the way it is. Go to a used car lot. Notice the silicone sprayed all over the power washed engine? Trans fluid in the motor oil to clean out the sludge? Fresh black spray paint or undercoat on the exposed frame and inner fenders? Quick buff job? People are usually pretty shallow and first impressions are what sell. That car does not have it. I wouldn't have given more than $4500 for it myself...
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

A distorted self-imposed view of reality doesn't help. If the OP feels like his 79' is some kind of highly desirable, gotta-have-it C3 and feels comfortable with this illusion, then it's his perogative. It may not mesh with reality and that's where we have a problem. You can't be stubborn about these things.

The term "It is, what it is" applies here. The vast majority of the posters told the OP the truth and he refuses to accept it. We're not going to lie to you, nor are we going to delude you and tell you "Awesome Interior" or "Love the Black Sidepipes" because that wouldn't be true, now, would it?

I traded a 2003 Harley softail worth about $7K for my 74' and have an easy $7K more into it and it still needs paint! The entire car is brand new under the faded skin, but it still looks like a $3,500 C3 and I have yet to install the interior. I think you should take this as a lesson learned and move on. I purchased my C3 after looking at thousands of others, for the promise that I saw in it and it's fulfilled that promise in spades! It may look rough, but it runs tough!

Be honest with yourself. If you were on the outside looking in and had a choice between buying yours or buying that other C3 that went for $8,300, which one would you buy?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by earthquake68

No matter how much joy something brings me, I wont buy something I'll lose my *** on. It just doesn't make any sense...
Ive found in various parts of life that knowing you arent the only one, helps ease the situation somewhat....so here goes.

I often have discussions with a close friend that echoes this. We often talk about how when we want something that is hard to find, we end up paying top dollar, but when we are looking to sell anything, nobody wants it.

My worst spending ever...hands down a HD Sportster 883. Bought it brand new, and it instantly bored me. Had a 1200 kit put on it, and it was more fun, but I outgrew it quickly. Took a BEATING when I sold it. Live and learn...have since had 2 big twins and thats that....sure wish I had all of that money back that I threw away on that sporty, but its water under the bridge at this point.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I started out with NOTHING....and I still have most of it left.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BUT, I think it's a mistake in thinking that the lower values for the later C3's is because they are less liked. The reason IMHO that the later C3's are valued less is a simple matter of supply and demand - there are a $h1tload of them in the market.

There were more 79 Corvettes built than any other year - including 84 which was a 2 year run! And right up there is 76 thru 78, each of which had well over 45k cars built. Compare that to 68 thru 72 which averaged 26k cars built per year.

I think there are just as many, if not more people that prefer the looks of the rubber bumper cars, the lower prices are simply a matter of there being a ton more of them to choose from.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

The interior color and side pipes are a very big turn off.
There is a 79 on ebay right now with a bid of $10000.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mashman

BUT, I think it's a mistake in thinking that the lower values for the later C3's is because they are less liked. The reason IMHO that the later C3's are valued less is a simple matter of supply and demand - there are a $h1tload of them in the market.

There were more 79 Corvettes built than any other year - including 84 which was a 2 year run! And right up there is 76 thru 78, each of which had well over 45k cars built. Compare that to 68 thru 72 which averaged 26k cars built per year.

I think there are just as many, if not more people that prefer the looks of the rubber bumper cars, the lower prices are simply a matter of there being a ton more of them to choose from.
I slightly agree with all of this but I think the biggest deciding factors for people not wanting the later c3. Is low horse power/ **** fuel mileage an smog. No one wants a slow or under powered old vette. Also no one in a 69 convertible gives a damn about mileage they just love the car. Not to mention they can mod their car to the end ofthe world if they want but after 75 in some states smog is everything. Correct replacement pieces for the entire exhaust system can be more expensive than the car is worth. Also the chrome bumper cars just pop in the sunlight the way the rubbers don't. I love my 79 but I will admit there are ALLOT of little reasons that make the early c3s more favored. An yes production will likely mean that the 76-79 will always be the lowest valued c3 except for the pace car edition 78s

Get notified of new replies

To I just got a HUGE blast of reality at the auction

Old 04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I've seen w/ C3s is that the '68 thru '70 are the top dollar jobs due to the performance engines and metal bumpers, the next are the '71 thru '73 due to the metal bumpers ('73 only on the rear). Then the '80 thru '82, seems due to the over-all appearance of the car having the rear spoiler being molded into the car and the front spoiler being actually part of the car also. The car seems to be completed front and rear f/ these years, and I've seen these last years go f/ over $20,000, in perfect condition ofcourse. Good Luck in selling your car and don't let the auction situation get you down Sincerely.

Last edited by texas jim; 04-17-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jesse10886
...Branson mo is a hole in the wall...
Have you been to Branson? It's a nice place.

...bring that car to Cali...
Who in Heck wants to haul a car to California just to try to sell it?

Originally Posted by farmall
...Here is some reality for you. 1979 is the second least desireable Vette to own next to an 84. Highest build quantity and lowest build quality...
That's complete BS; no reality in there at all. Who - exactly - says a 79 is not desirable? Who - exactly - says an 84 is not desirable? Where do people come up with this crap?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:18 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Yeah mike I've been to Branson several times in from Missouri almos my entire life spent there Branson is very lovely but it is also a small town in comparison to st.louis, Jeff city, Springfield I wasn't surprised that a over produced poorly modified car of decent driver quality didn't bring much money at an auction in Branson. My point was if he expected $12,000 for it bring it to a place where people are known to over pay for everything.

And yes 79 is a nice car no reason to say it is unwanted or worst build quality

Quick Reply: I just got a HUGE blast of reality at the auction