Sponsored by:

Original vs upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM
81 vette vent
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Original vs upgrading

I just bought an 81 vette. The car has 46,000 miles on it and everything is in descent shape. I know the car has been babied for the last 12 years and kept in a garage. The owner didn’t even know where the windshield wiper switch was because he never drove it in the rain. Paint is in good shape and body is perfect. Motor is smooth and interior is all good except the divers seat has a couple of cracks. ALL STOCK through and through, down to the radio/8 track/CB.
Here is my dilemma, I wanted a car my son and I could upgrade with a mild cam, maybe side pipes, and change the color of the paint but before we start I’m thinking it may hurt the value of the car. I love the lines of the 81s but I hate the performance. Any ideas on which way to go? I could put about $500 in the car and have a great survivor but I will not be excited about driving it. On the other hand I don’t want to spend money on something that will hurt it.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 81 vette vent
...I love the lines of the 81s but I hate the performance....
Seems you have arrived at the direction you want to take. Besides, what you're proposing isn't going to have a significant effect on the value one way or the other and we're many, many years before automotive museums are vying for display rights on '81 Corvettes.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:18 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

IMO you have the perfect car to start with. All original and sounds like Bubba wasn't in there yet. This is the type of car I bought too, although mine had twice the miles yours does. I'm slowly upgrading mine and couldn't be happier.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:28 PM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd go ahead and make the upgrades with my son, if I were you. As posted above, the 81's are dogs in the performance arena and its most likely going to be long while before they ever become expensive museum pieces. It's always nice to document the work and keep as many of the original parts as possible for future resale. Bottom line, it's your car and enjoying it is what it's meant for. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
81 vette vent
Instructor

No Bubbas have been around this car. The SMOG pump, breather snorkel pipes, everything is there. I looked where the jack is and I don’t think that area has ever seen the light of day.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

No Bubbas have been around this car. The SMOG pump, breather snorkel pipes, everything is there. I looked where the jack is and I don’t think that area has ever seen the light of day.
That's good. Just keep everything you take off. I have all my stock parts packaged away in labeled boxes so I know where everything is if one day I need it again.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
81 vette vent
Instructor

What are some of the upgrades you did?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Give her some legs , put some power in her. And even if you don't paint at least you will own a corvette that acts like one and not like a government mandated yugo.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Well thought out and executed mods that can be reversed will not hurt your car's potential resale value, but will most definitely increase the value of your ownership experience. Just photo and document everything you undo, properly mark and store anything you may ever wish to re-install, and keep Bubba away from the car. As for non-original paint, stick with fairly popular colors and you should be fine.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 03-21-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:51 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought an 81 vette. The car has 46,000 miles on it and everything is in descent shape. I know the car has been babied for the last 12 years and kept in a garage. The owner didn’t even know where the windshield wiper switch was because he never drove it in the rain. Paint is in good shape and body is perfect. Motor is smooth and interior is all good except the divers seat has a couple of cracks. ALL STOCK through and through, down to the radio/8 track/CB.
Here is my dilemma, I wanted a car my son and I could upgrade with a mild cam, maybe side pipes, and change the color of the paint but before we start I’m thinking it may hurt the value of the car. I love the lines of the 81s but I hate the performance. Any ideas on which way to go? I could put about $500 in the car and have a great survivor but I will not be excited about driving it. On the other hand I don’t want to spend money on something that will hurt it.
Do it and have quality time with your son, that is priceless. Cars come and go.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
WHITE 1974
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave the body and paint alone if its good and its a colour you can live with,spend the money on some engine and tranny upgrades and like everbody else has already stated save all the original parts for later.And most of all have fun with it as you go Cheers
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

lots of good advice here and you are lucky to have found such an unmolested car,or are you?most of the rest of us it seems have bought disturbed cars and hence have become very sharp troubleshooters.best of luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited by billcarson; 03-22-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There you go, that's what I'd do to improve the performance of the car without drastically changing the car and spending wads of cash. Pull the A.I.R. pump; remove the entire exhaust system; put in headers and run true duals to a couple of Magnaflow mufflers. Did it to my '80 back in the spring of 1980, I was pleased with the change. Not a huge increase in performance, but still noticable.

But if you want to get radical, put in a 350 H.O. or ZZ4 crate engine with the forementioned exhaust system. Now we're talking.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

What are some of the upgrades you did?
Headers, dual exhaust, Richmond 5-speed done. In the process of installing 18" wheels and an electric fan. I plan on installing a ZZ4 or ZZ383 next year
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE 1974
Leave the body and paint alone if its good and its a colour you can live with,spend the money on some engine and tranny upgrades and like everbody else has already stated save all the original parts for later.And most of all have fun with it as you go Cheers
Everybody is basically on the same page here as far as the mods go. It would cost thousands to undo a color change. The time you spend working on the car with your son will be priceless.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for the upgrades. Overdrive tranny should be #1.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: Leave the car alone. It has managed to survive essentially stock and unmolested all this time and has been thoughtfully cared for by the previous owner. It has earned the right to survive.

Sell this one and purchase another for a project.

Get notified of new replies

To Original vs upgrading

Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Sell this one and purchase another for a project.

i don't usually disagree with Mike but I do on this one.

would you rather spend all your time fixing up rust, replacing broken worn out components, doing body work and turning something into a frame off project that you can't drive, or finding a perfect car and swapping in the fun stuff like engines and transmissions, and being able to drive it in between while saving money for the next thing. Me, I'd rather the fun stuff
Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by qwank
...i don't usually disagree with Mike but I do on this one...
Someone has to speak up for the car. I have no shame, so I figured I would do it.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Someone has to speak up for the car. I have no shame, so I figured I would do it.

It is a valid argument, can't disagree there

Quick Reply: Original vs upgrading