Sponsored by:

A/ccompresor/paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 AM
wnmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/ccompresor/paint

My buddy has a 72 with the base 350 engine with factory air. When he bought the car the hood paint was bubbled on the top side from the A6 compressor. He had the car repainted and the compressor overhauled and a piece of dynamat glued to the underside of the hood above the compressor he has been driving it latelyand not running the a/c and the paint is starting to bubble again has anyone ever had this happen? He is going to just get another compressor if needed but this is an all matching numbers car.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM
mamamia69
Instructor

The problem is the original R-12 is soaked in the orignial fiberglass in the hood which is bubbling the paint. Its not the compressor.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fiberglass is most likely contaminated with oil from the ac compressor and I know of nothing other than removing the contaminated area that will solve the problem. I have seen the same thing in the front wheel wells when someone would use a sound deadener that was a tar base. After several years the oil from the tar comes through to the top of the wheel wells which is the top of the fender surround. Perhaps someone has a magic formula to solve the problem but I know of none.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 AM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

I think the easiest option would be to purchase a new hood and repaint.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If I remember correctly a solution to this problem was the multiple applications of lacquer thinner to suck out the oil. I will see if I can find it. mike...
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mds3013
If I remember correctly a solution to this problem was the multiple applications of lacquer thinner to suck out the oil. I will see if I can find it. mike...
Ok ...confession time. Four years ago my car was stripped to bare glass. I rolled the car out into sun and let it set all day. Every other day I washed the car down with dawn and throughly rised it I did this for two weeks. I got a few drops of transmission fluid on the lower rear quarter of the bare glass (another story) I freaked out and took laquar thinner to it and then soap and water. Dark spots kept cominig up where the oil was for several days. Then I started using brake cleaner until the dark spots quit coming back. Its been in paint for two years now and in the Florida sun several times a week with no signs of a problem.

My issue was from a few drops of oil on the surface for just a few seconds and not from years of saturating.

Last edited by Roco71; 03-17-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by wnmech
My buddy has a 72 with the base 350 engine with factory air. When he bought the car the hood paint was bubbled on the top side from the A6 compressor. He had the car repainted and the compressor overhauled and a piece of dynamat glued to the underside of the hood above the compressor he has been driving it latelyand not running the a/c and the paint is starting to bubble again has anyone ever had this happen? He is going to just get another compressor if needed but this is an all matching numbers car.

I would just get another hood and repaint and be done with it. I wouldn't try some magic formula to get the oil out of the hood that may not work. Just be done with it and get a hood.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I would just get another hood and repaint and be done with it. I wouldn't try some magic formula to get the oil out of the hood that may not work. Just be done with it and get a hood.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

The hood doesn't have numbers, so lose it and get another one....or go to a body shop and ask them.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 PM
wnmech
Drifting

Y'all are probably right he should replace the hood he has put a ton of money into restoring this car and we are not talking too much more money to do the job right.

Get notified of new replies

To A/ccompresor/paint

Quick Reply: A/ccompresor/paint