Sponsored by:

Paint over decal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Druzac
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint over decal?

Needing advice....I have a '82 model with really nice original paint. The hood stripe decal is not so good and is really faded. I do not want to repaint the car and needing to know if it is possible to get the original decal off the car without screwing up the paint.

Another question: would it be possible to repaint directly on top of the vinyl decal with original colors, or could I order a new stripe and place directly over the original faded stripe?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Druzac
Old 03-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Check with the vendors like Willcox, CC, and CA. I bet you can get a new decal set. Should also be able to get the old decal off, definitely would not paint over it. Some other folks I'm sure will chime in with good advice on how to remove the decal.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Druzac
5th Gear

Thanks for the reply....I have been reading about the 3M wonder wheel for decal removal......maybe someone has comments (good or bad) about removing a 31 yr. old decal...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Put the spray gun down and step away from the car. There is nothing that will make a fresh paint job look worse than cutting large corners such as painting over something that ought best to have been removed and replaced.

In the case of my SAE, most of them came pretty much right off at the coin op car wash (), but they were only a few months old at the time. (Had the ones I wanted back on the car re-done by hand.) For those which have had decades to set, there are solvent products available which can also help release them, or you could elect careful use of a heat gun. Can't speak to the wonder wheel thing. You might start a point with a razor, but I'd minimize exposing your paint to that method. In any event, be patient. It's when you start forcing things when you're most likely to do harm. HTH

Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Steve's '73
Instructor

Use a hair dryer to loosen a corner with the help of a plastic razor blade. Then just work if from there using the hair dryer to release the adhesive. WD-40 is safe on paint and effective at removing adhesive.

Use the least aggressive method possible: Hair Dryer at about two-inches pointed at the corner to loosen it, then try pulling by hand. If you can't get an edge to rise, then step up to a plastic razor blade. Once you have it off try washing the residue off at a car wash with high pressure. If that doesn't work, use WD-40 sparingly to remove the adhesive area and re-spray the car down.

Agree with SkunkWorks, worst thing you can do is paint over it.

Steve
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Originally Posted by Druzac
3M wonder wheel for decal removal.
Done this on dealer decals and pin stripes, on pretty decent paint. Not sure how older paint would hold up, especially if not clear-coated.
Otherwise worked great. Like a big eraser, then buff/polish the area after.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wonder wheel works great but be careful it can burn paint if you get to aggressive with it, just keep it moving and don't force it
Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The volatiles in many paints will cause decals to pucker and shrivel. You should remove...or have removed...any decals, stickers, labels, tape add-ons, etc before you prep or paint your car. If you wish to put replacement items back on the new paint (after it cures), most every item is reproduced in the aftermarket parts system.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

OT, but just gotta say that yellow shark looks great with the Stearman, Steve.

Good tips too.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 PM
pokey1
Advanced

Ecklers catalog shows decal sets for 81 and 82 two tone cars. I think they are 300.00 but they may have gone up.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patience is the ticket. Heat gun, low temp, take your time. Mistakes cost money. Never fear what you are doing just take your time.

A good friend of mine would always rush into tedious jobs, he thought the sooner he got in and out he would have no problems. Believe me his haste brought on a lot of problems.

'A mouse trap is safe when the clasp is secured'. Like all jobs, take your time and you won't get caught.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint over decal?

Quick Reply: Paint over decal?