Sponsored by:

1977 C3-Power Windows/guages don't work--electrical advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Jackogr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 C3-Power Windows/guages don't work--electrical advice needed

I've been trying to source the power windows issue as it seems since both don't work, perhaps it's a centralized issue vs. both switches going bad.

I've done searches/research and come to understand the PW relay (under center console) is powered through the guages fuse. None of gauges work either, so I feel like i'm onto something, right?

My question--where to start...I've looked at all the fuses and they appear good (as far as I can tell--the metal piece is whole). So, that leaves me with either a bad Power Window Relay or perhaps the 30 amp circut breaker in the fuse block.

Then again, it's a wiring mess so maybe it's a matter of mating a wire that's pulled away. Or, the switches....you see where i'm going.

Where to start indeed...do I buy a new 30 Circuit breaker to start? Change the fuses even though they look whole? I can see gauges fuse, but which fuse is for power windows?

A photo for reference--is something supposed to be plugged into the connector coming straight at the lens (third insert down on the block)? Could it be that simple?
Name:  SJSQsDg.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  568.0 KB

Relay:
Name:  AV5VGIA.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  621.9 KB

no idea what this is;
Name:  v6BTUfs.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  454.6 KB

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Looks to me like most of your fuse contacts are highly corroded. I would start by disconnecting the battery and then pull each fuse one by one and clean the contacts and check the fuses with an ohm meter. Same goes for the circuit breaker. If you are referring to the empty IGN. position that is normal.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Jackogr
Advanced

Good advice; I took to it good with steel wool and a brush and got all the corrosion off. Replaced everything as it was and I'm afraid still nothing on gauges or windows.

You can see in my photo that the 30amp/12v breaker is in the third slot down and the Blue insert into the block is in second (one up from Ign). My limited Google research shows a 77 should have the breaker in the top left spot and that second insert (blue tip) into the IGN spot.

It's possible the last owner screwed messed it all up. I did try the breaker in the top spot and still nothing, but i didn't remove the blue and put it in IGN. Perhaps I'll try that.

Can anyone confirm the proper configuration for this block? Is it breaker at the top left, or where it is currently? Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Jackogr
...A photo for reference--is something supposed to be plugged into the connector coming straight at the lens...
Possibly not. The pigtail might be used as a connector for other options.

...no idea what this is...
Turn signal or alarm horn flasher. Power windows may not have a separate fuse; only a power tap in the fuse block.

Do you have the 77 assembly instruction manual (AIM)? The AIM shows all of these connections and what goes where. AIMs are handy to have around.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Jackogr
Advanced

No AIM here, I'm afraid. Recommend a source? In the interim, anyone have a 77 AIM that might point me in the right direction? I'd love to get these windows working again!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Jackogr
No AIM here...Recommend a source?
All the vendors sell AIMs. Pick your favorite vendor and order one.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would start with the guages fuse. Make sure you power on both sides of the fuse.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Jackogr
Advanced

I'm a novice, but.I did end up replacing all fuses just in case...no luck. When you say power on both sides do you mean make sure both sides are seated? Or is there a special method with these glass fuses?

Originally Posted by bruiser
I would start with the guages fuse. Make sure you power on both sides of the fuse.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:42 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

If you have a volt meter or test light, check both sides of the fuse by finding a good ground and then touch the other lead to one side of the fuse clip while the ignition is on. Then touch the other. You should have power on both sides. If you have neither then the power is not making it that far. If you have it one one side only , then the power is making it to the fuse, but not to the other side. If you have power on both sides then the problem is down stream.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Jackogr
Advanced

Great counsel Brent. I'll try and chase it down. Thanks all

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 C3-Power Windows/guages don't work--electrical advice needed

Quick Reply: 1977 C3-Power Windows/guages don't work--electrical advice needed